NUX Audio Tools - PMS-2 MIDI controlled MINI switcher & PML-2 Mini Looper

Started by Elantric, September 27, 2015, 11:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtgearhead

Yes, those are the same instructions I'm holding in front of me here.  Unfortunately, either I'm misunderstanding them or this unit is defective.  Here's what I tried:

After setting the MIDI channel, I turn it off.  Then I turn it on with the Switch/Assign held down and send it a PC #1.  Next, if I'm following the docs correctly I should be able to step each individual channel through (6) different modes, 2 latched and 4 momentary with different durations and NO/NC states.  Finally, I should be able to push 'save' and power cycle the unit whereupon it should enter the stored state when it sees PC #1 - correct?  It seems to store something under some conditions, but it isn't what I believe I'm saving.  Also, even though I had selected PC #1 I'm finding the other programs are being affected. 

I may be missing something in trying to interpret the Chinese --> English text, but I'm not sure what.

Update:  If anyone on the forum has successfully programmed the PMS-2, would you mind dropping me a PM?  I'd like to make sure I'm not misinterpreting the documentation before relegating mine to a paperweight. 

admin

More incite on Nux PMS-2 operation

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/nux-pms-2-midi-switcher.64744/

Gorgon90
Gorgon90
Harmonic Dive Bomber
Few weeks ago I asked if anyone had tried NUX effects to find out about the quality of their kit but no-one appeared to have. Thread is here. Anyway, it got to payday and I decided to chance it and ordered this little switching box for £28 delivered as if it worked it was ideal for my gigging situation where I need to control two amps, one either side of the stage. I figured if it didn't work I haven't blown hundreds on it.

A week after ordering, it arrived from China.

Physically it is a tough little metal box with big thick rubber protectors at either end which also work as non slip feet.

NUX PMS-2 pic 1.jpg

To assign the Midi channel, you hold the Midi/Chn button when turning on and then use the top row of four buttons to set the channel based on the chart helpfully printed on the top of the box. Set it to channel 1 and turned it off and on again and it was set.

You can also set the switch type to act as latched closed, latched open, momentary closed, momentary break, and if momentary, also the time of the it happens for to match the response times of the equipment you are controlling. I just need the latched closed for now so haven't tested the other states yet. To set the switch options power it on with the switch/assign button held down. Set it and reboot and job is down.

In normal operation with the switches all set to latched closed, the buttons 1 - 6 act just like 6 footswitches. My amp has clean, crunch, and dirt channels which takes 2 footswitches to control. It then also features switchable master volumes and footswitchable reverb needing another 2 footswitches. I then have a second amp (same model) on the other side of the stage to spread the guitar sound as we are a trio format which I feed from the preamp on the first amp out of the send of the effect loop into the return on the slave. This needs another 2 footswitches ideally to control the volume and reverb on that which are post the effects loop making a total of 6 switches. Now you can see why this little box is a game changer for me.

NUX PMS-2 pic 2.jpg

Switches are on TRS jacks in pairs.

NUX PMS-2 pic 3.jpg
The switches all work and the LEDs are easy to see (sorry, pics don't show this well). This is actually superior to my old Nobels MS-4 unit as that has 4 mono jacks on one side of the box and the midi cables on the other meaning some cable was always in the way. This keeps them neatly all on the back which is preferable.

The NUX works well and is going to be a staple in my live rig for some time, reliability allowing. I only encountered one issue and that is to do with the MIDI wiring in some of my other kit versus the NUX implementation.

The MIDI specification states that three of the pins carry the MIDI data, the other two are redundant. In my Nobels MS-4 switcher and Rolls RFX Midi Buddy MP128 footswitch, the other two pins are connected and used for phantom power. Hooking the Rolls up directly to the NUX using a MIDI cable that connects all 5 pins caused an earthing problem and neither would work (even with each having their own power adapter). Breaking those extra connections solved the problem. I did this by inserting my Anatek Pocket Pedal MIDI expression pedal reader box in between the two as I knew from previous experience it didn't have the through connections on the pins used for power by Rolls RFX and Nobels. A couple of MIDI cables only connecting the data pins are in my near future as a result.

For £28 it's a bargain and with a couple of minutes programing I can replace tap dancing across 6 footswitches with pressing one button on my MIDI pedal. I will try this for a bit and if reliable will be getting a spare.

Dec 8, 2014
Mark Wein likes this.
jimmons2002
jimmons2002
n00b
Hi Mark, I ended up purchasing a NUX MIDI Switcher as well. It seemed like the perfect tool to marry my Boss GT10 to my Bugera Trirec. 6 switches for (3 amp channels, Boost, Reverb, and Effects Loop). I set up the MIDI channel and I see the NUX changing setups when it is in "Latched" mode, However, when I assign the switcher outputs to unlatched operation (required for my channel switching), the NUX seems unresponsive to MIDI Program changes from the GT10. I read through the documentation and I believe I am setup correctly. Just hoping you had some insight into my troubles, since you have been using it successfully. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 19, 2015
Jeff anthony
Jeff anthony
n00b
Gorgon90. I cud use ur help Setting up my switcher when u get a moment if u would. Thanx

Oct 27, 2015
Gorgon90
Gorgon90
Harmonic Dive Bomber
jimmons2002 said: ↑
Hi Mark, I ended up purchasing a NUX MIDI Switcher as well. It seemed like the perfect tool to marry my Boss GT10 to my Bugera Trirec. 6 switches for (3 amp channels, Boost, Reverb, and Effects Loop). I set up the MIDI channel and I see the NUX changing setups when it is in "Latched" mode, However, when I assign the switcher outputs to unlatched operation (required for my channel switching), the NUX seems unresponsive to MIDI Program changes from the GT10. I read through the documentation and I believe I am setup correctly. Just hoping you had some insight into my troubles, since you have been using it successfully. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry, I missed this post when you made it. I have only used it on latched mode so haven't got any insight into that I'm afraid.

Jeff anthony said: ↑
Gorgon90. I cud use ur help Setting up my switcher when u get a moment if u would. Thanx
I saw from your PM that you were having problems getting it to respond to Midi commands. Only thing I can think of is are you trying to control it with Control Change commands rather than Program Change (patch change) commands? It doesn't state it in the manual but it as far as I can tell it responds to Program Change commands only.

Oct 28, 2015
Jeff anthony
Jeff anthony
n00b
Ahh. That wud explain it. Sorry for the urgency. I was just trying to get it figured out while I was at rehearsal with my gear I feared that might have been the issue. Thanx again

Oct 28, 2015
crreed
crreed
n00b
Hi gents, I actually just purchased a PMS-2 myself to link my also new Trirec to my HD500x. Exactly like jimmons I am able to save presets and use the unit perfectly until I switch to unlatched mode where the unit suddenly doesn't trigger with midi anymore. It's so frustrating because the buttons in normal mode work and switch the amp but the midi just won't fire it!

Anyone have any luck getting to the bottom of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 24, 2015
Gorgon90
Gorgon90
Harmonic Dive Bomber
Not had a reason to try unlatched mode and my gear is packed away for a couple of days in the cupboard with a Christmas tree in front of it.

When I can get back into the cupboard I've got a bit of gear that can be switched by a momentary contact so I'll have a play and report back.

Dec 24, 2015
crreed
crreed
n00b
Cheers Gorgon, that would be awesome. Jimmons tells me he gave up and went for the Voodoo, considering doing the same myself. It's a real let down because at 1/5 the price of the Voodoo Control Switcher with extra outputs it really has potential. It seems to me that it just doesn't do what it says it does, like no one at the factory ever tested unlatched mode.

I have emailed the manufacturer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 25, 2015
Lewis
Lewis
n00b
Hello,

Did anyone manage to find a solution to the unlatched mode midi trigger problem?
I have recently purchased a NUX PMS-2 only to find that I am having the same problem as Jimmons2002 and Crreed; works perfectly fine in latched mode, but only buttons work for unlatched mode, no midi support. I have been banging my head against the wall over this problem, and cannot for the life of me figure out what the root of it is.

Does anyone also know, if I connect this to my un-latched gear, whilst in latched mode, will it cause any damage?

Regards,

Lewis.

Jan 24, 2016
Lewis
Lewis
n00b
Has anyone had any luck with this so far?

I have contacted the seller I have purchased it off who appear to know jack sh*t about the products they sell,

I have also contacted the manufacturer direct, who have not yet seen fit to reply.

You lot seem to be the most switched on bunch of people I have found so far.

Regards,

Lewis.

Feb 3, 2016
Gorgon90
Gorgon90
Harmonic Dive Bomber
What with Christmas, New Year and family invasions I forgot about this. Not got a lot of free time for a few days but will try and have a look at the weekend.

Feb 3, 2016

vtgearhead

It's official:  I received a response from NUX in China and they admit the momentary activation option is broken due to defective firmware and it "..will be fixed in the next version".  No way to reflash the embedded processor either.  Probably a good plan to avoid this company's products.

admin

Momentary mode is problematic for most external Controllers

It would be handy to have a list of controllers that support momentary mode reliably and don't get out of sync after the 5th control change sequence. ( I can't think of any )

vtgearhead

Well, if the NUX switcher actually worked the onus of tracking current state would be on whatever sent the program change to the switcher.  The only state held on the switcher itself is the current preset. 

I have just received a kit MIDI switcher from England that looks to have all the features I need.  Will report on it once it's assembled and working.

Elantric

Quote from: Elantric on September 27, 2015, 11:45:10 PM
NUX Audio Tools - PMS-2 MIDI switcher  &  PML-2 Mini Looper
Ebay for $35 & $26 respectively

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131314233594?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.nuxefx.com/product_list.php?id1=52

The PMS-2 MINI switcher
( like a 6 channel version of the old 1980's Rockman MIDI octopus)

http://www.nuxefx.com/product_detail.php?id=79&id1=52&id2=0
PMS-2 is a MIDI switcher that is able to switch 6 devices with more than 128 presets. With an external foot switch, you can easily switch several amplifier channels and effects. It can be used together with the NUX PLS-4 for more connection possibilities. Control your stage rigs like a rock star!
More than 128 Presets
External footswitch pedal jack
Switch 6 devices via a MIDI pedal(optional)
Latched and momentary mode.

($36 Ebay)

Sascha Franck said: ↑
Fwiw, there's a cheap MIDI->channelswitch thing from Nux, working fine with pretty much any amps.

Frank Rochette ( Line-6 wrote>
If the OP needs one I can get him one. They work great.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25999279/