i finally got the sy 1000.....look out cuz it's on like donkey kong

Started by fuzzfactory, May 30, 2023, 09:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzfactory

went to sweetwater today and with just a few hours of exploring i am BLOWN AWAY!!!!
it's like roland / boss made exactly what i have wanting for years!

i got the wifes blessing to do nothing but lock myself in the studio for a month
as long i still cut the grass and do yard work =)

i can't wait to start creating patches which of course i will share here!

super geeked!!!!! 

stub

Congrats!!! Yea, it's pretty amazing.

You got a GK gtr or bass?

fuzzfactory

gk guitar
i have been using the gk stuff for years and have had pretty much every unit roland / boss has put out
and the sy 1000 is hands down my favorite with only a few hours of messing with it 

pasha811

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

sixeight

You made some excellent patches for the VG99 in the past, if I remember correctly. Looking forward to what you can come up with for the SY-1000.

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

fuzzfactory

ok after a day of really digging into this unit i may have spoken to soon!
the osc synth is a glitched out nightmare ....i have been using roland guitar sythns
for nearly 30 years and have never heard / played anything this bad !!!
i have mucked about with the sensitivity settings and i cannot resolve the issue of MASSIVE miss triggering
which is a massive bummer for me !

also i tried the resynthesis mode and it is even worse....i am a very clean player
and what i played into my daw was super tight playing it back the sy 1000 seems to play whatever it wants
and nothing like what i played

i am super bummed as these where the two big selling points to me .....
i will mess around a bit more but if i fear i will be making a trip back to sweetwater and get my money back

gumtown

Which firmware is your SY-1000 running ?
The latest is 1.08.
Boss 'apparently' know of the issues, and there is anticipation of yet another firmware update later this year,
 but I would not expect it.

You should raise a ticket with Roland support (Back Stage?), so they are aware of your issues, and might do something about it.

I will park this here to for your entertainment.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=29150.msg254911#msg254911
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

fuzzfactory

Quote from: gumtown on June 01, 2023, 02:40:08 PMWhich firmware is your SY-1000 running ?
The latest is 1.08.
Boss 'apparently' know of the issues, and there is anticipation of yet another firmware update later this year,
 but I would not expect it.

You should raise a ticket with Roland support (Back Stage?), so they are aware of your issues, and might do something about it.

I will park this here to for your entertainment.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=29150.msg254911#msg254911

i am running 1.08
i find this to be completely unacceptable and the fact that boss / roland is aware of this and is still selling them even more unacceptable!!!!

for a product that says GUITAR SYNTHESIZER and the synths don't even work is insane
what a rip off!!!
i get WAY better tracking with just a 1/4 cable and jam origin !!!!!!

so really the sy 1000 is a OK multi fx processor with ok guitar modeling and crappy synths

SHAME ON THEM!!!!!

i am not a happy camper as i had really high hopes for this unit

there really should be some form of legal grounds to force boss / roland to fix this
based on false advertising 

arkieboy

The OSC synth isn't where the action is at.  Move along, not much to see.

Start working with the dynamic synth.  Its the dogs
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

gumtown

As Arkie says, the Dynamic synth is the mutts nuts, checkout some of the SY-1000 patches posted on this site.
I am still hoping for an Osc synth firmware fix (soon?)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Quote from: gumtown on June 01, 2023, 04:42:50 PMI am still hoping for an Osc synth firmware fix (soon?)

...maybe buy a big can of paint, take the lid off, and watch what happens...you can then get a series of calendars to keep track of it... ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

fuzzfactory

well the dynamic synth doesn't do portamento nor does it have full amp adsr
which for a "synth" is kind of a thing
again one reason i got the damn thing
i am not finding anything i can't already do with the gr-55 and ableton

i am gonna give it a few more days

aliensporebomb

There's a way to do faux portamento but there are ways to do stuff that still raises eyebrows.  What are you trying to do?  Big techno basses?  Sequencing of a particular type?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Harry1227

Regarding the false notes of the OSC synthesizer...
 Practice has shown that the Low Velo Cut parameter works too rough.
 Therefore, when you have found an acceptable value for the Low Velo Cut,
 you need to adjust the sensitivity levels of the GK pickup for each string in the System Parameters-GK Settings.
 You can create a special pickup profile for playing an OSC synthesizer.

But that's half the battle.

You need to learn the dynamic synthesizer,
 as this is a new synthesis technology CREATED FOR THE GUITAR,
 and the OSC synthesizer was brought into the SY-1000 as an attempt
 to imitate KEYBOARD CONTROLLER synthesizers. Hence the tracking issues.

You need to accept the priorities laid down by the manufacturer.
 The dynamic synthesizer has a very powerful engine that is controlled by
 unique parameters that transform the dynamics of your playing into various sound characteristics.

In a dynamic synthesizer, a portamento-like effect can be obtained by setting the p.env attack and p.env bend parameters to non-zero values. By playing with different strengths, you will get a pronounced portamento-like effect to varying degrees.

At first, the dynamic synthesizer seems incomprehensible and inconvenient. But once you get a feel for how it reacts to your playing and understand how its parameters work, you won't need an OSC synth. (In 90 percent of cases) 8)

fuzzfactory

Quote from: aliensporebomb on June 02, 2023, 11:48:19 AMThere's a way to do faux portamento but there are ways to do stuff that still raises eyebrows.  What are you trying to do?  Big techno basses?  Sequencing of a particular type?

just basic 303 type stuff or old school sweeps like steve miller and heart
what i have always been doing is "faking" it....i am pretty good at string slides ;)

so what is this faux portamento you speak of?
pitch shift assign to pedal ??
but damn it would be nice to have a porta option
hell my first korg x-911 mono guitar synth i got when i was 15 way back in the day that option AND track WAY better than the osc synth even with a 1/4 in cable .....wish i still had it but it eventual died

fuzzfactory

Quote from: Harry1227 on June 02, 2023, 02:12:39 PMRegarding the false notes of the OSC synthesizer...
 Practice has shown that the Low Velo Cut parameter works too rough.
 Therefore, when you have found an acceptable value for the Low Velo Cut,
 you need to adjust the sensitivity levels of the GK pickup for each string in the System Parameters-GK Settings.
 You can create a special pickup profile for playing an OSC synthesizer.

But that's half the battle.

You need to learn the dynamic synthesizer,
 as this is a new synthesis technology CREATED FOR THE GUITAR,
 and the OSC synthesizer was brought into the SY-1000 as an attempt
 to imitate KEYBOARD CONTROLLER synthesizers. Hence the tracking issues.

You need to accept the priorities laid down by the manufacturer.
 The dynamic synthesizer has a very powerful engine that is controlled by
 unique parameters that transform the dynamics of your playing into various sound characteristics.

In a dynamic synthesizer, a portamento-like effect can be obtained by setting the p.env attack and p.env bend parameters to non-zero values. By playing with different strengths, you will get a pronounced portamento-like effect to varying degrees.

At first, the dynamic synthesizer seems incomprehensible and inconvenient. But once you get a feel for how it reacts to your playing and understand how its parameters work, you won't need an OSC synth. (In 90 percent of cases) 8)

thanks for the tips.....
i completely understand how both the dynamic synth and osc work
i can fake the portamento ....
but i really wish they could get the osc synth straightened out as have full adsr on the amp is a big deal when it comes to synth sounds 

fuzzfactory

ok i have decided i am keeping this unit as it has many more strengths than flaws and i know from just a few synth bass patches i have created i can get some killer patches
so per usual of roland / boss i will live with the flaws and make the best with what i got

with in the next few months i should have a solid collection of patches specially geared for electronic music
to share much like the ones i shared for the vg-99 and gr-55

pasha811

I do not own SY1000 I tested it for a week then give it back. However I have OSC in my GP10 and after many tries by using and adapting the synth Libraries you can find in the forum I was able to enjoy it a bit. Sure you have to play clean have accurate stops and play legatos but the game changer for me was attack of the oscillator to around 4. I have use it to record solos in my daw and very little or no glitches. So OSC is a great synth for mid attack pads (more than 4) and sax/flute (of course not the pcm types) and many other sounds that include using your natural guitar PU. If the main attack is made with the Guitar than osc follows and completes the sound. IMHO OSC is not where it should be but for some sounds categories it works almost right. Hope this helps even if my OSC is the GP10 type and I do not know if SY1K version has been made worse or better (unlikely) during the transition. I sometimes regret having given back the SY1000 so I admire the ones sticking with it as maybe I should have done 1 year ago...
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Nobulusprime

Quote from: fuzzfactory on June 03, 2023, 09:54:45 PMok i have decided i am keeping this unit as it has many more strengths than flaws and i know from just a few synth bass patches i have created i can get some killer patches
so per usual of roland / boss i will live with the flaws and make the best with what i got

with in the next few months i should have a solid collection of patches specially geared for electronic music
to share much like the ones i shared for the vg-99 and gr-55

I moaned long and hard to Roland/Boss about the OSC synth (to no avail!!) and Pitch to Midi as they are both awful (in the extreme) the low velocity cut does not work and if they fixed that it would be 10 times better.

I still hold out hope that they will fix this in a firmware update especially now as they have released thee GM800 which now miraculously seems to work.

I would complain vehemently (as I have) to Roland Boss about this as it needs fixing! On balance the unit is amazing but this is it's terrible achilles heal.