VG-99 - Using VG-99 bass and guitar patches in a live setting

Started by rer801, April 01, 2009, 06:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rer801

Greetings.  I am new to the VG-99 - have only had it a little over a week - so please bear with my somewhat long-windedness.  Thanks.

I'm playing in a band with a drummer and keyboard player; I'm the guitar player.  We are writing/playing new progressive rock, which we also intend to record in the near future.  As you will note from the band description, we do not have a bass player, and are having absolutely no luck finding one.  Therefore, we have decided to write and arrange our songs such that, at any given point, one of us can be playing the bass parts.  Examples:  as needed, the drummer can do some simply, single note or sequence triggering from his electronic pads, the keyboards can be doing bass lines, or I can be doing bass and guitar lines from guitar using the VG-99 (or sometimes there won't be bass lines in certain parts of the songs).  That brings me to my questions.

I have been looking through the VG-99 forums at some of the live rigs people have been describing.  From those discussions, I'm thinking that I will be going to a sort of small PA/full range speaker set up as my amplification for the VG-99, something along the lines of a pair of JBL-type powered monitors and a small mixer.  This would be just for the VG-99 outputs; standard guitar tones would go to a small guitar combo amp (assuming I use any standard guitar at all).  I would like to split the outputs of the VG-99 into (a) a guitar channel and (b) a bass channel.  Synth sounds will come into this at some point also, but not just yet - trying to start simply.  I believe I have successfully created a few initial bass/guitar patches so far, following some of the bass/guitar presets (bass on the bottom two strings, guitar on the top four).  For monitoring myself on stage, I'm okay with just having my monitors facing back at me, just so I can hear everything.  The questions, then, are:  is it possible to have separate bass and guitar channels to send to the front of house sound person for mix purposes, and also for recording purposes?  Would I use the XLR sub outs to accomplish this and is this in the manual somewhere?  Full admission: I have not yet had the time to really delve into the manual as I should, but I do intend to soon.

Please let me know if this makes sense, or if I can clarify anything.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ron

Brent Flash

Quote from: rer801 on April 01, 2009, 06:26:12 PM
The questions, then, are:  is it possible to have separate bass and guitar channels to send to the front of house sound person for mix purposes, and also for recording purposes?  Would I use the XLR sub outs to accomplish this and is this in the manual somewhere?  Full admission: I have not yet had the time to really delve into the manual as I should, but I do intend to soon.

Please let me know if this makes sense, or if I can clarify anything.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ron
Yes, you would have guitar on Channel A and Bass on Channel B or visa versa, and in the mixer section you would pan one left and one right. This would give you bass on one out (left or right) and guitar on the other. You could also turn off strings in the bass so when you are playing the high strings on the guitar you won't be getting the bass sound. So you could have a bass that just uses your low E and A strings for example.

rer801

Brent:  thanks very much for your reply.  I'll dig into this more tonight.

Ron