GP-10-Changing patches on GP-10 from MainStage - Primova MIDX-20

Started by rer801, August 30, 2017, 06:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rer801

Greetings.  I recently got a Primova MIDX-20 to use with my GP-10.  I'm hoping to do something very simple to start with, and that is to just changes patches on the GP-10 when I change a patch in MainStage.  I am presently unsure of how to begin here.  I assume I use the UPR and LWR USB ports for this.  If so, which plug would go to which unit, i.e., what's the plugging order here?  While I'm not entirely deficient in things MIDI, I am rather new to USB MIDI.  I have the proper power supply for the MIDX-20 and the requisite cables, but I would prefer not to plug something in incorrectly and blow things up.  I have searched the forums here, but I'm not finding an answer to this particular query.

Shorter version:  I want to change a patch in MainStage and simultaneously change a patch (as needed) on the GP-10 via MIDX-20.  How do I plug this together?

A million thanks to anyone and everyone in advance.

Ron

CodeSmart

Ron,
I don't know if you figured things out yourself already. To connect a PC/Mac or iPad/iPhone to the MIDX-20 you need a USB-TO-MIDI cable. I recommend Roland UM-ONE MKII. This converter cable you plug into MIDI IN and OUT of the MIDX-20 (and the SUB to the PC/Max/iPad/iPhone) and then you connect the GP-10 to any of the USB slots of the MIDX-20, preferably the LWR since it's slightly faster.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

sixeight

QuoteShorter version:  I want to change a patch in MainStage and simultaneously change a patch (as needed) on the GP-10 via MIDX-20.  How do I plug this together?

To control the GP10 from mainstage you just need a midi cable and body midx20.

To control the GP10 and mainstage from an external foot controller is more interesting. It depends on the type of foot controller you have.

admin

Boss GP-10 Complete MIDI Implementation (PDF)
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GP-10_MIDI_Imple_e02_W.pdf
QuoteThe GP-10 can receive Program Change messages numbered 1 through 99 (00H - 62H), corresponding to the 99 individual
patch number 1-99.
* Recognized MIDI Channel Number is ch.1 only.
* Program Change messages 100 - 128 (63H - 7FH) cannot be received.