IK Multimedia Blueboard

Started by mbenigni, October 15, 2013, 07:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fusionman

lord preset

FYI it appears that the Blueboard app is broken under Mac OS Mojave.  I recently bought a Blueboard for use with MIDI Guitar and it failed to connect in native mode (using the Blueboard app) on two computers with Mojave, but it can connect with on older Mac on High Sierra.   IK Multimedia suggested a multi-step solution that involves starting the Blueboard in MIDI mode then opening the AudioMIDI Bluetooth Configuration utility to manually connect the device, then switching back to native mode.  This works but the steps have to be repeated each time you go to use the Blueboard.   Bummer. I will have to return it but there aren't many good alternatives.

rcf1956

Wim, over at the Audiobus Forums 'Mozaic Script Request' thread, just came up with a beautiful little script which really enhances the functionality of the Blueboard. Mozaic is an AU plugin and with the right script it can be whatever you want it to be in the iOS midi world.

Wim calls it the Blueboard Switch Ramper because that's what it does. On receiving a Blueboard button press in either of the midi over bluetooth modes, it sends incrementing or decrementing CC values in a timed ramp. Time is separately configurable for each Blueboard button, up to 60 seconds, as are start and end CC values. At minimum ramp times you are turning Blueboard momentary action footswitches into toggled On/Off events. The Ramper also has a ramp cycling mode, which makes it behave like a simple Blueboard triggered LFO. There is no frequency knob as the 'LFO' speed works in a similar way to the VCS3 envelope generators and repeats only when the ramp cycle has completed.

I'm really pleased with what Wim has produced. In a live improv scenario, I can now use the Blueboard to trigger slow fades, both in and out, of parallel AUM channels of effects, Eventide Reverbs, drones etc. Smooth long fades were hard to achieve with an expression pedal plugged into the Blueboard but now I can trigger four slow fades all with different fade times. I'm also going to be using it to fade out loops made in Enso.... and then back in again, probably.  :)

If I send the Blueboard Switch Ramper through the 'mfxConvert' iOS app, I can remap a couple of Blueboard buttons to send Notes, while the other two send timed midi CC events. You should of course be able to send midi back out from your iDevice to whatever midi capable hardware you choose, though I haven't tried that yet!

https://patchstorage.com/blueboard-switch-ramper/

zappafrank

I wish I could use it, but on my M1 iMac/Big Sur the Blueboard native app is not running, because it has not been updated since 100 years ago. So each time, you want to use it, you have to go to the Audio MIDI utility to manually activate it as Bluetooth MIDI device. The next time you start your computer, you have to do it again, so this is very frustrating and time consuming. Or this there any trick you can do in order to achiever that once recognized , the device will remain forever in my computers memory? (I contacted support about this frustrating procedure and the only said, that they are very sorry that in the moment this would be the only way to work with the Blueboard on an M1 iMac.)