Mainstage 2 setup for FTP and/or multi timbral controllers

Started by merman93, June 10, 2013, 05:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman93

I am currently using my FTP with MainStage 2 and its software Synths way more than with the TriplePlay stand alone. Mainstage2 is Apple only, available from their online App Store, and cost me about $30.00.
It was developed for live performances, and has many features to accomplish this such as "learn mode" for controllers, etc. and many included soft synths.

I have set my template up with 6 keyboards, one keyboard for each string, midi channel. Each keyboard can have many layers, and each layer can be assigned different tones, and can be split similar to the FTP stand alone. This works great for me, but many others on Logic support sites suggested I didn't need to set up 6 keyboards, but 1 multi-timbral one. That was what I tried originally, but after many alterations, and much debate, I settled on my current template. None of the posters were using a Midi Guitar, and although the theory of what they suggested was sound, in practice, it just didnt work. The issue was that every string triggered all of the multi-timbral voices, while with my template, each string only triggers the voice assigned. Of course, I followed lots of advice, and changed settings from this to that and back, but no luck.

If any VG members are using MainStage2, please post how you have setup your system, and I will also update any new revelations.

BTW, MainStage also allows you integrate your Hardware Synths, the SoftSynths included with FTP, and any other softSynths on your system. I am even using the knobs and sliders from an Akai MPC drum controller to adjust several synth modulations, by assigning them via the learn function. Oh,.. and The patches change MUCH faster than the FTP stand alone.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

drbill

For multitimbral, select your channel strip and then the MIDI in tab. Select Multtimbral from the source popup and you can set as many channels as you want.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

merman93

Quote from: drbill on June 10, 2013, 08:01:47 AM
For multitimbral, select your channel strip and then the MIDI in tab. Select Multtimbral from the source popup and you can set as many channels as you want.
How do set up your 6 channel controller in layout ? Maybe that is my issue, as I did exactly as you described for weeks on end, however,  I have 6 channel strips all set to receive a separate midi channel with different voicings, but each voicing still plays each string.

In layout, I set the keyboard device as TP Guitar ( triple Play) and select channels 1-16. my options are either 1-16, or to select only one of the channels.

Then, for each channel strip I can select midi input, options are multi timbral, or TP guitar.

Following your example, I select multi then select TP guitar,  midi channel 1, and then duplicate that for each of the five channel strips but each time selecting the next midi channel.

However, I still get same result, each time I play any note on any string, signals are triggering each channel strip.

My work around has been in the layout to select TP guitar and select ch ! instead of 1-16, then add 5 more keyboards, each one assigning only a separate channel.

Then when I select my midi input from my channel strip, i dont select multi, but for each strip I select the TP guitar keyboard matching the midi channel.

it works great, but the multi way should work,... am I missing something ? All the guys at Logic forum suggested what you did, but nobody really used a multitimbral guitar synth to check out why it didn't follow through.

I am up for any suggestions.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

drbill

You only need one channel strip for a multitimbral plugin. In the Layout, set your keyboard for all channels from the FTP. In the single channel strip with, say, Kontakt loaded, select multitimbral and set up all 6 channels.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

merman93

Thanks for the info, I obviously need to brush up on the Main Stage 2 manual ,..

I'm confused, I wasn't aware that was possible,..

if I want bass guitar on string 6 and piano on string 5, trumpet on string 4 etc etc, I can do that on 1 channel strip.

A lot of times I keep one note on one string steady but bend another string up a half step, and third string a full step. Can I do that on one channel strip also, or will all of those notes bend up by the same amount? I've only been able to do these things with separate channel strips,.. Dang.

That is so different than on my multitimbral hardware synths, I guess I have Some serious research to do.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

melodymann

Merman 93, did you ever sort this out? I'm trying to run omnisynth in mainstage with FTP and seem to be going in circles. All channels are being triggered all the time, when I do mange (somehow) to separate channels I only get string bends on channel 1. Channels 5-6 seem to be in chromatic(not trigger mode). Also sustain (cc64) and modulation (cc1)
only work on channel 1!! All of this is working in Logic just fine, so close yet so far! I have spent a lot of time on this and searches outside of this forum only finds this post.

If you (or anyone) could could detail your set up i would really appreciate it.

thanks, Terry

Elantric

Be sure you have also contacted Fishman Support and explain your problem.
- as they typically already have answers

http://www.fishman.com/contact

melodymann

Thanks Elantric,
I will try that but they seem mostly focused on the FTP app and bundled software (understandable). I'm new to Mainstage but it looks to me the way to go with FTP and mac. Maybe as good or better than Cantabile. What would be really useful is a dedicated thread where we could share our experience and tame the beast. I'll be sure to share mine if I figure it out. The thing is FTP straight in to Logic just works but i had to use midicontrol (app) to send send same CC# on 6 channels.   

Elantric

Fishman has much feedback from several beta testers and current users who do use Tripleplay with Apple Main Stage.

Contact this FTP user  - Joe Gore

http://tonefiend.com/guitar/fishman-tripleplay-demo-now-with-more-nasty/

arkieboy

If you search on this forum for Mainstage I have a public Dropbox link to a starter setup with vanilla patches for all of the main Mainstage synths.  You may do your own from scratch eventually but at least you're starting with something that works

(Nowhere near a proper computer at the moment ...)

Steve

Not sure if this is going to work - or how much work you need to do to make it happen on your hardware - but here is a basic mainstage concert designed to use with a guitar synth controller such as a VG99 or a GR55.

It works for me - your milage may vary.  If there are ways I can improve on it then please post to this topic and I'll see if I can accomodate.  At the moment I have an Axon/AMT8/MotU828 rig so I can't do the final set up for you, hopefully someone out there will do the final bit and offer a link here.

I've created a number of mono and poly mode templates all set up - midi channels 1-6 with various standard logic soft synths so this will work out of the box if you have mainstage.  Once you have the concert listening to your hardware all you need to do is copy and rename the template patch using the synth you want to use, and then change the sounds selected.  On the mono-mode patches, start with your synth set to poly mode and get the sound how you want it.  Then copy the channel strip settings to all of the other channel strips and you can set your guitar to mono mode.

Here's the concert

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3305696/guitar-synth%20starter.zip

Hope you find it useful

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4