Ritchie Blackmore with a Roland GK-1 HEX Pickup

Started by Piing, February 07, 2013, 11:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

This photo (taken by myself via stage video screen) shows a guitar not in the video so I guess he have collected yet another one of them strats ;D This one with rails in bridge and neck position leaving (according to him) the useless middle pickup in original.
He used this one for the whole show. He actually kept flapping the switch between neck and bridge all the time...

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

lespauled

This is just depressing.  The man is a Guitar God, and this is unbearable.

admin

Quote from: lespauled on June 12, 2019, 05:35:31 PM
This is just depressing.  The man is a Guitar God, and this is unbearable.

Hes a bit hotter here ( but hey I hope I play that well when I'm 74
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritchie_Blackmore

lespauled

Quote from: admin on June 12, 2019, 05:58:11 PM
Hes a bit hotter here ( but hey I hope I play that well when I'm 74
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritchie_Blackmore

With all due respect to Ritchie, I think it's time.  The MVP of that video of Burn is the keyboard player, who is playing the guitar part along with Ritchie.  I now feel sorry for Ronnie Romero.  He's doing a great job, even though I was against him singing instead of having the original (surviving) singers, like Michael Schenker is doing.  Ronnie seems to be a real fan of Ritchie's, and why shouldn't he be.   

I honestly think there is something wrong with Ritchie.  I saw him with Blackmore's Night a few years ago, and he was still a beast.  His level of playing is a night and day difference from a couple of years ago.

It's sad.  It's like a baseball pitcher, who doesn't know that it's time to retire.   

Believe me, it pains me to say that.  Ritchie was the reason I started playing guitar.   I know that we should account for his age, but this is just painful to watch.  It's like the ending of Braveheart, where the crowd cries MERCY!!!!

lespauled

He's playing much better here.  But other songs are just not there.

CodeSmart

The keyboardist Jens Johansson is Swedish by the way (from Malmoe). He did well.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Silent

PRS: Cu24-92/Cu24-13/McCarty-01/Santana-10/SantanaSE// Gibson: LP Std/ES335// Fender: Telec std/Telec Dlx// Godin: Multiac SA/A6 Ultra// Marcus Miller fretless// Cort Artisan A4 Custom
AMPs: Mesa MarkV, Bogner Shiva, Fender HR Deville, Marshall JCM800 superbass, Musicman 212HD, Roland Bolt60...

mos6507

No matter what was going on politically with his bands he was always a very consistent player.

Ritchie is known for being a legato speed picker.  The more bluesy stop-start nature of his lead playing wouldn't be bad judged on its own merits but it just doesn't feel right in context.  I really wonder whether he can even sense the difference.  He always seemed so meticulous I have a hard time believing he would allow things to slip to this extent.  Either he's no longer self-disciplined or he knows this is the best he can do and he needs the money but nobody around him is in a position to push him.

But I know the comments have been brutal on Youtube and I know he's been reading them.  What he does next I don't know.  He had a few live streams during COVID which I thought were really cool, but he was just noodling on acoustic.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

admin

Trivia time

Typos in the press release above
"The Outlaws" was an early UK band with Ritchie Blackmore

His 1959 Gibson ES-335 with Bigsby can be seen in the 1962 press release pic above (same guitar can be heard on Deep Purple 1968 hit "Hush"

On far left is Ken Lundgren holding the same 1959 Gibson Les Paul with Bigsby which was later sold to Keith Richards in 1964

Go to 1:00 minute to see Keith playing the 59 Les Paul

Keith Richards '59 Les Paul was sold to Mick Taylor in 1967, before he joined the Rolling Stones and can be heard being played by Mick Taylor with John Mayall here