GR-30 DAC replacement

Started by strudl, July 07, 2023, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strudl

My GR-30 unit is producing background noise.
All is good from the DAC to the output.
Could be some components from the motherboard but still a chance that I can solve this by replacing the DAC.

So I am looking for a reliable provider for  Philips TDA1313. I am based in Montreal.

Hopefully  someone on the board has a reference from which I could order.

jp

billbax

GR-30 is a 25+ year old unit. My first concern would be the pesky and troublesome elect decoupling cap connected to the DAC. Service manual is a must btw.

Next would be the op-amp output path/caps. Electrolytic caps should be replaced in gear over 25 years, and it will help make your gear sound like new. Don't swap out more than six caps at a time, as a six cap swap-and-test regime will help you make steady progress.

My elderly M-Audio 1010LT PCI soundcard with a complete elect cap swap-out + AD8066 op-amps.

strudl

Impressive work BillBax.

On the Gr-30, Signal is clean from the physical analog output of Gr-30 up to the DAC.
I was hoping that it would be only a cap, but...

So I hope I can replace the DAC and if the noise is still there, than it would be some Motherboard components. I have not been able to cross reference the Philips TDA1313 for an alternative. I was hoping someone on the board would have some insight.

Keepimg my eyes open for a replacement unit in the mean time. The unit is still useable, just not as clean as it could be.

billbax

QuoteI was hoping that it would be only a cap, but...

Your noise problem is probably not TDA1313, but a passive component. Besides, finding an equivalent TDA1313 is unlikely, nevermind the replacement pcb track/pin footprint mismatch. Download the TDA1313 datasheet, and look at the application diagram/specification.  It's possible the noise problem is before TDA1313. Just one component can solve the problem.