Fishman TriplePlay Wireless Guitar to MIDI

Started by audiotrax, January 18, 2012, 08:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoam green

Quote from:  Elantric on February 27, 2014, 05:37:51 PM
Download and Read the docs here
http://www.fishman.com/tripleplay/help

and upon unboxing FTP - find a fast Ethernet connection for the FTP Bundled software app downloads

Cheers , thank heaps for the Link and the heads up Elantric ..., appreciated  :)

Ive got time up my sleeve to read those instructions , as itll be another 3 - 4 week untill my FTP arrives ...,  as its travelling from the USA , via Aus than what comes with XTtralia , then en route to my home in Bali Indonesia .

RE; the bundled software downloads ,

.., Luckily I wont have to download most of this stuff (maybe only the notation software and FTP updates only)

-  as I already own full versions of ;

- Sampletank XL (XL has a much bigger library than XT)  ,
- Komplete 9 Ultimate,
- Amplitube 3,
- T-racks Grand
- Uvi Workstation (with a few add on V-Is)
- Pro Tools 11.0.2   with AVID MBox Pro Interface ( I do hope Fishman get that windows AAX - FTP update out SOON!) .., so therefore I wont need the Presonus either.

.., which I was thankfully informed earlier by another member of this forum - that the FTP presets can now be located from my full versions of Komplete 9 Ultimate , and SampleTank 2.5 XL

........, which I am stoked about ..., as my internet speed here in Bali is ridiculously super  S  L  O  W   :'(   (its about half dial up speed at best during the day)

withingt

I played my first gig with the Triple Play yesterday and quite frankly I was less that satisfied.  After long software loading session and an episode where the pickup would not fit on my Parker Nitefly I finally got it set up after having to raise my action and glue the bracket to my pick guard.  On top of having to paste that big ugly pickup, (why don't they make one that sits on the top or side of a guitar?) to my Parker guitar I also had to lug my sensitive lap top along with a stand to put it on.  Switching patches in the middle of a song takes more time than the GR-55 and you really need to buy a midi foot controller to use it live.  There was still lag in many parches, false notes were triggered and quite frankly many sounds on the GR-55 are far better than the generic software included in the Triple Play bundle.  I have gigged with just my GR-55 and I never worried about doing damage to the unit it is built so sturdily.  Plus I kind of missed the acoustic COSM modeling in the GR-55.  If you think that you are going to just install the software and gig you have another thing coming.  This devise is more studio friendly than guitar player friendly.  At least that where Roland got it right.  You can take a GR-55 out of the box and play it.  If feels like a guitar player's affects unit.  I'll give the Fishman a few more tries but I may just go back to my GR-55 for ease of use.

Elantric

QuoteI played my first gig with the Triple Play yesterday and quite frankly I was less that satisfied. . . . .  I may just go back to my GR-55 for ease of use.

Many other FTP users who also own GR-55 agree and have reverted back to the GR-55 for its "all in-one" Guitar FX / AMp modeling and Guitar to PCM Synth abilities.

Myself I use the FTP with an iPad running Ik Sampletank and have near instant patch changes - still not possible with the FTP running the full FTP Software suite on my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina and all SSD drives, unless I take the time to build the "Song Mode" template in the FTP Control panel. But for ease of use and beer proof, the GR-55 meets many needs, without the risk of loosing a $3K laptop at a gig.

germanicus

Quote from:  withingt on April 14, 2014, 09:51:13 AM
I played my first gig with the Triple Play yesterday and quite frankly I was less that satisfied.  After long software loading session and an episode where the pickup would not fit on my Parker Nitefly I finally got it set up after having to raise my action and glue the bracket to my pick guard.  On top of having to paste that big ugly pickup, (why don't they make one that sits on the top or side of a guitar?) to my Parker guitar I also had to lug my sensitive lap top along with a stand to put it on.  Switching patches in the middle of a song takes more time than the GR-55 and you really need to buy a midi foot controller to use it live.  There was still lag in many parches, false notes were triggered and quite frankly many sounds on the GR-55 are far better than the generic software included in the Triple Play bundle.  I have gigged with just my GR-55 and I never worried about doing damage to the unit it is built so sturdily.  Plus I kind of missed the acoustic COSM modeling in the GR-55.  If you think that you are going to just install the software and gig you have another thing coming.  This devise is more studio friendly than guitar player friendly.  At least that where Roland got it right.  You can take a GR-55 out of the box and play it.  If feels like a guitar player's affects unit.  I'll give the Fishman a few more tries but I may just go back to my GR-55 for ease of use.

I highly recommend using a dedicated foot controller. I never touch my laptop after its booted up and the program turned on. Its worthwhile to get a good vst host program. The key for me using the tripleplay live is that for each song, I have 3-4 sounds all loaded up simultaneously, and the footswitches on my FC300 act to mute/unmute each. This means zero delay in activating new sounds when I need them. I only experience load delays between songs, and they run between 5-8 seconds at most, as they are set up to load up several sounds/synths needed for the next song.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

cooltouch

Quote from:  germanicus on April 14, 2014, 01:37:26 PM
I highly recommend using a dedicated foot controller. I never touch my laptop after its booted up and the program turned on. Its worthwhile to get a good vst host program.

Could you expand on this?  For instance, which controller(s) do you like or use? And same goes for the VST host program(s) you prefer?
Best,
Michael

germanicus

Quote from:  cooltouch on April 14, 2014, 07:06:01 PM
Could you expand on this?  For instance, which controller(s) do you like or use? And same goes for the VST host program(s) you prefer?

Im using Cantabile Solo as a vst host. Just about any parameter of the program can be assigned to a foot controller. Im using an fc300 as my controller. Within Cantabile you can load up multiple vst soft synths and samplers and save these as a song setup. Then on my foot controller I am able to mute each one with no delay involved, and also scroll through the songs with two pedals. I also have a global panic mapped to one foot pedal in case of any issues. Cantabile is a pretty great program. Its made by a guy who continues to add features (the latest build was released in March). http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/blog/

Cantabile has a learn function that makes setting up a foot controller extremely quick and easy. If I get some free time later this week I'll make a video demoing the setup.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Spider

FTP + hardware synth = instant patch changing too. It is not possible on new up to date SSD laptop.

Spider

I saw new YT video by Burr Johnson: He told that Vol knob could be assignable to "whatever you want"? Do you know how to do that in FTP app?

Big_Stoater

Hi guys,

Don't know if this is the correct thread, but anyhow, I just bought the Tripleplay last week and it work great with the standalone app, however when I use it with  a DAW (Reaper, Studio One 2) I find that I cannot get pitchbend to work. I've tried changing the pitchbend mode in the Tripleplay Parameters box, but the only one that seems to work is Stepped and this just steps from one note to the next. If I select any of the other options I get no pitchbend and I also can't slide up or down the notes. As I say these options work fine in the standalone app, just not in the DAW's that I have tried.

Is this a known issue or is there an option somewhere I need to set?

Thanks!

Elantric

Big_Stoater

Elantric

From Yahoo MIDI Guitar list:

I mostly lurk here -- I'm a software developer, and am the guy behind one of the iOS (and soon, OS X) pitch-to-MIDI apps.  My target audience is casual users, who want to pay a few bucks to play around with MIDI, but are not ready to cough up $400 to $2k for a serious guitar MIDI rig.

After playing with MIDI guitars in music stores for years (and not being able to justify a big investment), I pulled the trigger on the Fishman.  Technology has marched forward since the early days, and IMO, the TriplePlay has hit the nail on the head.  The tracking is amazing, and the wireless performance is stellar.  I could not be more impressed.

I've talked to one of their engineers (there were some possible collaborations between my team, and theirs).  The radio system is not WiFi or Bluetooth -- it's a specialized radio system for low latency.  In my software development, I also work on MIDI-over-Bluetooth; the Fishman radio is much faster than Bluetooth (and Bluetooth LE is pretty darned good).

With guitars, the technology has not changed much, so you can still get replacement parts for old hardware, and in many cases, parts are interchangeable.  This is not true with electronics -- the new circuits completely trump the old stuff, and there's not much for a company to gain in supporting dead tech.  If I had an 8-track tape player in my car, it would probably be a little challenging to find anyone who would be willing to repair it -- the smart move is to just junk it (even if it was expensive back in the day), and move over to an MP3 player.

I understand the dissatisfaction with there not being better support for older tech -- but if the companies don't move forward rapidly, they'll get killed in the marketplace.  Apple regularly obsoletes their older hardware, and that's one of the reasons they can introduce new and better stuff all the time.  Microsoft, by contrast, is bogged down supporting ancient versions of their code, on a wide range of hardware.

I'm stepping out of lurk mode because I really think the TriplePlay deserves a lot of praise.  In some respects, they're a competitor, but they're really in a different league (both in terms of performance, and price -- my app, MIDImorphosis, is $8; pocket change compared to what I think is a very fair price for the Fishman).

The only possible complaint I might have about the TriplePlay is that the pickup is a bit to thick for my Telecaster; I could make a mod, but it's a little more than I want to do to the guitar.  So.... I installed it on my #2 guitar, a Danelectro.  I can put the USB dongle into an iPad using a CCK, and have access to an incredible array of synths.  When I think of what I have, versus the dollar investment -- it's beyond my wildest dreams.
__._,_.___
Posted by: pmadden@acm.org

BurninBen

Does anyone know if I can hook up the midi out of my GR55 into the Tripleplay FC1?  The Namm video says any 5 pin midi synth will work. 

admin

I think you are asking if the Fishman Tripleplay can trigger the PCM synths inside GR-55
No , since the GR-55 does not respond to MIDI Note on off messages received at its 5pin MIDI Input jack.

Memanny

New to the forum. Purchased the fishman triple play n installed it w software.  Prob is that I don't see any patches on the main window.  Strings show strong signals.  What am I doing wrong.  Thks.

admin

Quote from: Memanny on April 25, 2018, 05:54:35 AM
New to the forum. Purchased the fishman triple play n installed it w software.  Prob is that I don't see any patches on the main window.  Strings show strong signals.  What am I doing wrong.  Thks.
There are two ways to install Fishman Triple Play software.
Some only install the FTP control app.

The recommended method is to follow the Fishman directions and  install everything including all of the Native Instruments Komplete Elements  and IK multimedia apps with their requisite samples and patches whuch are part of their installation (which when I did it it took 2 days to download everything from Fishman at home with my average speed internet provider  at the time at home)  it was a bit daunting and for many this represents the Achilles heel of Fishman Tripleplay ownership,  as every company  just assumes you have high speed internet access 24/7 in this world today.

Also you MUST have a working third party Audio Interface ( ASIO on Windows) and confugured your audio interface in the Tripleplay Control Panel 1st before anything works.

Baharkoush

Hi everyone,

Im interested to know if i use an ipad with the FTP, can i set parameters for best tracking? I mean i read you can not use the FTP APP on an IOS device... So the solution would be to set in my Macbook with the FTP APP and next connect it to and ipad ?

Thanks!

Elantric

QuoteSo the solution would be to set in my Macbook with the FTP APP and next connect it to and ipad ?

correct -i only use the FTP app (mac/win) to verify FTP String levels are correctly set

then its "plug & play"  using Apple USB Camera adapter for FTP receiver on iPad running IOS Synth apps