VG-99 USB to iPad2 GarageBand?

Started by Steve Dee, June 17, 2011, 07:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Dee

Anyone have any success connecting the VG-99 USB Out into an iPad2 through the Camera Connection Kit? Wondered if you could get into GarageBand on the iPad2 that way?
Steve - San Diego

Elantric

no it will not work.

The secret to getting third party interfaces to work with the IPad is the Apple Camera Kit, which provides a USB Host connection.

Next you need a USB Audio Interface that supports "USB Audio Class  Device."

Most Roland and Line6 gear will not work ) I've tried!

My current best success is with a 2009 Alesis IO|2 two channel interface with 2 XLR Mic ins, Phantom power, MIDI I/O, SPDIF, many good controls. This needs power, so I use. Solar powered USB hub from eBay.

I highly recommend the above setup for an iPad.

Other gear that can work:

Zoom H4N

Logitech Notebook Headphones with USB

Jamhub Tour bus

Zoom A2.1

Korg Pandora PX5D - does not need the powered USB Hub.

Zoom H4N

Steve Dee

Thanks, kinda what I thought. I've been hearing good things about the Apogee Jam, but I'm not into spending the $99 right now. I could build an adapter cable to plug my guitar into the iPad jack, but I've heard there are impedance mismatch issues. My Yamaha MO6 keyboard USB Out worked perfectly with GarageBand, so I am assuming the VG-99 has a different type of USB signal?
Steve
Steve - San Diego

Elantric

Roland uses a USB streaming  Audio IC chip that requires an OS specific driver before it works.

I got my Alesis IO|2  at discount for $68

cell7

Hi guys,
im sure a few of you are doing this too, but just wanted to say that running the VG99 midi out into the iPad is a great little portable setup with an infinite array of MIDI sounds. I am just using one of these cheap usb to MIDI cables [http://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_midi_mate.htm] then straight in to the camera kit. As noted above, the VG99 usb out doesnt work as an audio interface to the ipad or iphone, but the MIDI works a treat :o)

Make sure you have 'poly' checked in your VG99 MIDI settings. I have it rigged to be permanently sending MIDI to the iPad, and then just run the iPad output through a stereo volume pedal. Of course the latency is still there, but by using slow attack or non-percussive sounds it is not a big issue. In fact, maybe it seems slightly faster response than most VSTis...

Apps that i have tested (VG99-ipad) in order of awesomeness:

Animoog (seriously cool...)
Sampletank full
Korg iMS-20
Garageband
Korg iELECTRIBE
Alchemy
Xenon
Synthstation

VG99 and iPad combination is a pain in the ass when passing audio in and out, but using it as a MIDI module with just the cable connection is very easy, portable and gives great results.

Elantric

Will have to try this same strategy with the GR-55, + MIDI USB cable +CCK+ Ipad

sixeight

The VG99 will work on the ipad of you switch the USB mode to standard on the VG99. This works only for audio though. Midi does not work. But you can play virtual amps on your ipad this way.

And remember to switch the mode to advanced when your done...

Elantric

The VG99 will work on the ipad of you switch the USB mode to standard on the VG99. This works only for audio though. Midi does not work. But you can play virtual amps on your ipad this way.

Does this also require the use of a powered USB Hub between the VG-99 and the Apple CCK?

sixeight

Quote from: Elantric on November 30, 2011, 07:15:51 AM
Does this also require the use of a powered USB Hub between the VG-99 and the Apple CCK?

It worked fine without. Just try for yourself.

bbob

Quote from: cell7 on November 29, 2011, 03:20:11 PM
Hi guys,
im sure a few of you are doing this too, but just wanted to say that running the VG99 midi out into the iPad is a great little portable setup with an infinite array of MIDI sounds.

Can I get acoustic piano sounds for live performing with this setup?

I am looking for a little better acoustic piano sound than what the GR-55 offers.

Thanks.

Bob

cell7

Quote from: bbob on November 30, 2011, 09:25:12 AM
Can I get acoustic piano sounds for live performing with this setup?

I am looking for a little better acoustic piano sound than what the GR-55 offers.

Thanks.

Bob

yes you can - the Sampletank full in particular has a pretty damn good piano [although it is an extra download inside the app]. In fact i love this because within sampletank you can overload the output and get a very interesting lo-fi in addition to the filtering etc. Response isnt too bad either at least on the upper strings.
Also the benefits here are that the iPad is somewhat futureproof in that any new app/soundsource will work - you arent stuck with what is included in a traditional module. I think we are going to see some fantastic stuff coming out in the next year, and the size and ease of setup of the ipad is really great. I use a micstand attachment from IKmultimedia so that it is also at hand height and solidly supported.

cell7

just out of interest - has anyone been able to get MIDI over USB to an iPad? I know it isnt supposed to work but im wondering if there is a hack...

sixeight

Quote from: cell7 on December 01, 2011, 07:50:07 AM
just out of interest - has anyone been able to get MIDI over USB to an iPad? I know it isnt supposed to work but im wondering if there is a hack...

You will need a driver for this, and no drivers exist for the ipad. So, no it is not possible. There is no hack.

Elantric

The magic buzz word to look for is "USB  Class Compliant"  - if a USB Audio  or MIDI Interface can work as a "USB  Class Compliant" device - then it should work with Ipad & CCK (Camera Connection Kit)

The other hurdle is a bizzare one - Many USB Client device rely on the Host USB Port (in this case on the IPAD CCK) to power the USB port electronics.

This means that even if the VG-99 has power - the IPAD CCK will not "see" the VG-99 is connected - UNTIL a powered USB Hub is introduced between the IPAD CCK and the VG-99.

It has already been confirmed that if you disable the VG-99's  USB Advanced mode" - then the VG-99 does work as a "USB  Class Compliant" audio interface device with the Ipad + CCK - just need to sort out if MIDI I/I works when "Advanced Mode is turned off"  too.

cell7

I gave it a quick test trying USB MIDI with the advanced mode disabled, but I couldn't get it to work. That's not to say that it WON'T work, but that in the 5 mins I spent on it I got nothing... So I plugged back in the 5 pin cable and all is good.
Another great iPad synth is Thumbjam - highly recommended. Also has some great sample instruments like a killer cello, and creating your own instrument is super easy.

sixeight

Quote from: cell7 on December 04, 2011, 02:22:37 AM
I gave it a quick test trying USB MIDI with the advanced mode disabled, but I couldn't get it to work.

You have no MIDI, only audio with the VG99 driver in standard mode. Connect the VG99 and play an mp3. If you get sound it works, if not maybe you will need an USB hub to power the Vg99.

cell7

yep i have the audio running, just a shame the MIDI doesnt also work via the same cable. So now the question is do i prefer to trigger the iPad synths, or use the unit for additional audio processing? The moog filter app is pretty good...

bbob

Quote from: cell7 on November 29, 2011, 03:20:11 PM
I am just using one of these cheap usb to MIDI cables [http://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_midi_mate.htm] then straight in to the camera kit.

Looks like this Midi Mate cable is no longer available.

Will any USB to MIDI cable work?

Thanks.

Bob

sixeight

Quote from: bbob on February 10, 2012, 05:32:31 AM
Will any USB to MIDI cable work?

Most will, but only the ones that work on a generic driver.

cell7

bbob

Cell7,

Thanks for your help.

Got the Vg-99 / Midi - USB cable / CCK / Ipad hooked up and playing Garageband piano tones last night using a RR Strat.   ;D

Will try Sampletank soon.

Bob

cell7

No worries!
Sampletank and animoog are the ones I am using most... So much easier than working with a laptop or a restricted sound module  ;D
Hope u have fun with it.