VG-99 Reviews

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 07:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

As I posted on the Yahoo group, the new EQ magazine has a review of the VG-99.
They like it.

There are no links to it on the EQ Magazine site, for some reason. Possibly I might be able to scan and upload the review, which is only two pages.

<feloniouspunk wrote>

Yes, please do when you get the chance. Also, not to be a cheap ass, but does anyone belong to SOS? They want to charge to read the full article. Just curious.

Do you guys know how to cope with Rapidshare?
If not, then this is as good a time to learn as any.

http://rapidshare.com/files/83884114/VG-99_Review_Feb_08_EQ_Mag.zip.html

The "scans" - actually photos of the article done with a digital camera - came out... okay, after I photoshopped them (using, to be honest, not the bona fide Photoshop but the very capable and easy-to-use freeware Magix Photo Clinic 4.5, bless its little head.)

Oh, I have friends who get SoS but I do not see them every day. If there is a VG-99 review in there, I can get it but it could take a few days. If no one has uploaded it by the time it is accessible to me, I will do so.

mos6507

Good review. Imagine what will happen to the 13-pin scene if the VG-99 REALLY takes off. Hopefully good times ahead.

Surdaas

What is interesting is that the reviewer talk about the 99's MIDI capabilities but the reviewer does not comment about his experience with its implementation.

Every review I have read about the VG-99 is written as if the reviewer is experiencing V-Guitar/MIDI guitar technology for the first time. I would really like to read a published and objective review written by an experienced pro gear reviewer who has followed the VG series since the inception.

Sustainiac

An objective in depth review will never happen in the USA -

Perhaps in the UK they are not afraid to express their thoughts - whether good or bad.

Jahloon

Sustainiac wrote:
An objective in depth review will never happen in the USA -
Perhaps in the UK they are not afraid to express their thoughts - whether good or bad.

Not in a magazine, that would take 10 pages plus.

It could be done on a website, with different pages covering different subjects.

I'm thinking WIKI style editing, but restrict editing to proven users, so we get an honest approach.

I've got a lot to say about MIDI.

PS I did offer to do an in-depth UK review, here's Roland's reply:

Hi Jeff, Thank you for your interest in reviewing the VG-99. We are waiting for the first models to arrive and as you will understand we have already allocated the review models to the guitar magazines so I'm not sure if there will be any available. I will let you know when they arrive. Thanks again for your interest.

Best regards
Kevin Steel
Boss & Guitar Product Manager
Roland (UK) Limited
Atlantic Close
Swansea
SA7 9FJ

Sustainiac

Jeff
Lets make this happen - I mean a really honest no holds barred, warts and all, VG-99 revue. Prior to ownership, there are many who lust after this thing like it was their first car. The rig costs what a used car costs ( I only paid $150 for my 1st car (a Corvair) in 1972), and many view the VG-99 as the missing link to stardom - which it might be in the right hands! But I'm preparing to run a complete VG-99 audio test with my $30k A/P tester at work www.ap.com- with THD, SNR, Dynamic Range, Bandwidth - typical 1970 Stereo Review type report. and duplicate my amp. cab. mic sim plots efforts I have done in the past for Line6 Vetta

http://www.vettaville.com/vetta_frequency_plots.htm

We could make a sticky here, and keep adding to it by those users with the expertise in each area. I'll moderate or edit to keep it accurate, but deadly honest.

Steve C

Jahloon

Sustainiac wrote:
Jeff
Lets make this happen

We could make a sticky here, and keep adding to it by those users with the expertise in each area. I'll moderate or edit to keep it accurate, but deadly honest.

Steve C

OK, but it should only be able to be edited by moderators, or a special group. Comments on the review could be on a different thread.
Sustainiac

Yes - thats what I'm here for - PM me and we can talk via email.

drjoness2001

Here is a review comparing the original Roland GR-300, with the virtual GR-300 in the VG-99:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Nov/Return_of_a_Legend_Does_the_VG_99_Live_Up_to_the_GR_300.aspx

Wayne

aliensporebomb

Quote from: drjoness2001 on June 25, 2009, 07:38:01 PM
Here is a review comparing the original Roland GR-300, with the virtual GR-300 in the VG-99:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Nov/Return_of_a_Legend_Does_the_VG_99_Live_Up_to_the_GR_300.aspx

Wayne

That article is what spurred my interest in the VG in the first place.  I knew the VG99 was out, I knew it
was the follow-on from the VG8/88 but had no idea of the GR300 emulation.  I had to have it once I knew
it could do that.  Then I heard Ruppert's samples and it was all over.  Now I've got one.  Powerful stuff.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Jackson C

It's laid out in a pretty straightforward manner. I mean, there's a learning curve with anything but that's what a manual is for. I didn't find this to be rocket science.