Ring Modulator

Started by VGasheville, January 30, 2023, 07:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VGasheville

I just received a Pocket GT as a gift and am amazed at the fidelity and features. The only thing, in my mind, that is missing is a ring modulator as one of the effects. I sent a message to Roland and I was advised to post here, as there are Roland engineers on the VGuitar forums. My understanding is that ring mods are fairly basic circuits. So, is there any chance a future firmware update could include at least basic ring modulation -- something akin to the E-H Frequency Analyzer?

Cheers.

gumtownadmin

That was rather cheeky of Roland/Boss to refer you here,
 there are no Roland representatives that I know of lurking here,
 this is not an official Roland site, but is run by volunteers and product users.

Would like to help with the your Pocket-GT, but firmware design is beyond our capability, and can only be done by Roland.
If you could reply back to Roland support, and ask them how this site is going to help with a firmware update of their products.

If Roland gave me the tools, I would happily like to try at doing firmware updates on a few of the Roland/Boss products.

Welcome to VGuitarForums, might not be able to help with the firmware, but we can try to help with any other usage issues,
 or willing to listen if you have advice or help to offer.  :)
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

gumtownadmin

QuoteI sent a message to Roland and I was advised to post here, as there are Roland engineers on the VGuitar forums.

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing a quote of that transcript from Roland, if you don't mind
Cheers

VGasheville

Quote from: gumtownadmin on January 30, 2023, 11:22:18 AMActually I wouldn't mind seeing a quote of that transcript from Roland, if you don't mind
Cheers
Ah, I would share it, but I deleted the correspondence while doing some Gmail cleanups. Essentially, the support person said there were product engineers that monitor this board, but there was no way to submit a feature request.

VGasheville

Quote from: gumtownadmin on January 30, 2023, 11:16:15 AMWelcome to VGuitarForums, might not be able to help with the firmware, but we can try to help with any other usage issues,
 or willing to listen if you have advice or help to offer. 

I meant to say thank you for the welcome. I have sporadically been on here for several years, having at various times owned and sold a VG-8, VG-88, VG-99, GR-20, and GR-30. I still have my GI-20 for guitar to MIDI.

A friend who has a Katana amp mentioned that his amp has a ring mod. Cheers.

VGasheville

Quote from: VGasheville on January 30, 2023, 12:39:02 PMAh, I would share it, but I deleted the correspondence while doing some Gmail cleanups. Essentially, the support person said there were product engineers that monitor this board, but there was no way to submit a feature request.

Well, I have another copy of the message thanks to Roland sending a "how'd we do" type of follow up. Here is the text of it (I removed the salutation and the support person's name):

Thank you very much for contacting Roland regarding sharing product development ideas with us.

Please understand that Roland has been actively engaged in research and development in diversified scientific & business areas for many years. While we value and appreciate feedback from users, in order to protect both you and Roland we cannot solicit ideas or agree to receive any confidential ideas or technical proposals from persons outside Roland. Furthermore our role in customer support is limited to inquiries regarding product operation only. You can feel free to post your ideas for POCKET GT updates and features in the Product specific Facebook Groups for POCKET GT and/or the V Guitar Forum website. A lot of Engineering Team are members of these groups.

Nevertheless, we do wish you luck in your endeavors.

Thank you for your interest in Roland and BOSS products!
Thanks and enjoy your day.

gumtownadmin

That's funny  ;D
If I were in Roland's support team, I would be more direct and to the point, and write:

Roland are not interested in your ideas for product improvement, because our designers know everything,
 but if you feel like posting your thoughts on a Forum, you may feel better in the desperate hope
that you believe someone from Roland might actually be interested in your thoughts.
Thank you for contacting Roland,
 and next time please keep your questions limited to match the scripted answers we have on a read out chart.

Classic !!  ;)
sorry post that, but in reality, that is what it is.