HEEELP!!! PLEASE!!! ROLAND GR-55 + RMC OPT-01 + GODIN A4 ULTRA FRETTED BASS

Started by freebass100, January 02, 2023, 05:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebass100

Hello my friends!!  HELP PLEASE!!!

-I have a gr-55 black,with rmc-opt-01 already installed inside.All good so far.
- I use this with Godin A4 Ultra bass.
-GR-55 is in bass mode,
-Still...is not working properly..ghost notes...and so..
-I was working a lot with gr-55 setups,..gk setup and so..
-PLEASE....CAN YOU SEND ME THE RIGHT SETUP FOR THIS BASS?
-I mean setup for gr-55, for RMC...
-I want to use this gr-55 only for acoustic bass, fretless bass, and synth bass.

THANK YOU MY FRIENDS!!!

gumtown

Has the RMC-OPT1 been made for Bass ?
Since the filter threshold would be at a lower frequency for a bass,
 it might be cutting out nearly an octave lower worth of notes.

Does it play better if the filter is bypassed/removed, that would be the next thing to check.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

freebass100

OPT- 01 FOR BASS?? DID THEY DID SOMETHING LIKE THIS?
ISN'T FOR GUITAR AND BASS?
-ANYWAY,...PLEASE SOME ADVICES,...'COUSE I'M TIRED TO PLAY WITH THIS GR-55 AND GODIN A4 ULTRA BASS!

I USE THE "FLOORBOARD" TOO....

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

gumtown

Might seem an obvious question, but I still have to ask,
Is your GR-55 set to "BASS MODE" ?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

I am still trying to find the specifications on the RMC-OPT-01 filter, to find the high-pass frequencies for each string input.

freebass100

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR CONCERN!!
-YES, I AM IN BASS MODE
-I WAS USING GR-55 WITHOUT OPT-01 FILTER, AND WITH OPT-01 FILTER ,...AND STILL, I'M NOT HAPPY.
-ALSO, I WAS USING WITH GK3B ON MY FENDER 5 PRECISSION DELUXE, AND FENDER JAZZ BASS 4.
-STILL NOT HAPPY. :(

-I THINK THIS GR-55 IS MADE MORE FOR GUITARS, NOT FOR BASS!

Tosh

If your Godin is relatively new (less than 5 years, I think?) then you have a PolyDrive 2 preamp and you don't need to use an additional filter. You can verify which preamp you have by referring to the RMC website.

I don't use the GR-55; I have an SY-1000. However, I can suggest this - lower the GK sensitivity as much as you can (like start with zero). For me I find the RMC output is pretty hot. My other GK bass is a Wilcox Saber w/Lightwave pickups and I have the GK sensitivity set around 30 for the Saber vs about 10 for my A4 Ultra

gumtown

The GR-55 PCM synth tones are not well suited for bass, pitch to note conversion is quite slow.
The SY-1000 works much better for Bass with very quick and acurate synth response.

Antonuzzo

Quote from: gumtown on January 03, 2023, 02:37:41 AMThe GR-55 PCM synth tones are not well suited for bass, pitch to note conversion is quite slow.
The SY-1000 works much better for Bass with very quick and acurate synth response.

...but the SY-1000 can't do what the GR-55 can do. And vice-versa. :) I don't have any problems with the GR-55 on bass (well, apart from the harp PCM tone which glitches for some reason).

Freebass100, there are a few other things to check: your intonation and your instrument's neck (i.e., is it 100% straight and not bowed). If either of those are even slightly out, then you'll have more ghosting than a Tinder user on Boxing Day.

And another big, big factor is how you play. Because the GR-55 is using reference tones to trigger the synth engine, you have to be pretty clean with your fretting and picking.

As Gumtown says, the response on the SY-1000 is always going to be more accurate due to the way it interprets the output from the strings.

You're right about it being made primarily for guitars, though. Gone are the days when Roland would put time and energy into a discreet, bass-first unit... which then would only be used by a handful of people such as Tony Levin, who probably get them free...

CodeSmart

If OPT-1 is the normal one, it should definitively NOT be used with bass.
Guitar OPT-1 cuts at 50/75 and 100Hz, for a bass everything needs to be reduced to half (25/37.5 and 50Hz).

Even with a proper bass adjusted filter installed, I would not expect any noticeable improvement.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

admin

Quote from: freebass100 on January 02, 2023, 05:37:56 PMOPT- 01 FOR BASS?? DID THEY DID SOMETHING LIKE THIS?
ISN'T FOR GUITAR AND BASS?
-ANYWAY,...PLEASE SOME ADVICES,...'COUSE I'M TIRED TO PLAY WITH THIS GR-55 AND GODIN A4 ULTRA BASS!

I USE THE "FLOORBOARD" TOO....

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Yes - RMC has a separate Custom Bass Instrument voiced OPT01 Filter for GR-55 - contact RMC for current pricing