Very low volume from bb3

Started by Baged, December 21, 2022, 10:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baged

Hi guys.
Not sure if anyone will read this but it's worth an ask.
I've just replaced the 3 way switch due to the original biting the dust.
Since changing I have no volume out the bb3. I have to turn my amp up full to hear it.

I've reseated all the connections.
I even swapped the pickup position and I'm still having the same issue with the same pickup.

Any one got any ideas?
I'm close to creating a new wiring harness to see if there is an issue in the wires from the pup to the circuit board.

But thought I'd ask here before I go chopping it up.

All contacts on the 3 way switch are good as the neck pup worked as it should when in bridge position.

admin

The original pu selector is a custom switch with a rotating volume pot - must obtain from Tronical

They can guide you on installing

https://www.tronicaltune.com/shop/gibson-spare-parts/gibson-dark-fire/original-gibson-dark-fire-dusk-tiger-toggle-switch/

Baged

Yes that's the one I bought.
Must admit their service from Germany to the UK is exemplary!

Baged

So.
After dropping the pup out there is no obvious damage to the wiring.
Put it all back together and went through all the tones on the mck.
Any tone that shows the burst bucker as 2 green lines gives no output on that pickup.
Funky with both poles out if phase works. And all the tones that utilise the south pole only work.

Any suggestions before I pull it all apart and make a new harness for the pickup?
Cheers.

admin

It employs latching relays for the PU coils- it's borrowed concept from the former Bosch Auto RD Tronical team. These latching relay contacts may wear out - and thus no sound from normal pickups - also the EQ IC was not functional until the Dusk Tiger " Chameleon Tone" firmware was installed .   There's a lot that can go wrong - and in 2022 I figure any working pro performing livecwith a Dark Fire has already swapped out the original electronics for standard  passive Gibson LP electronics.  - while storing the original guts in a box.

Baged

Understand that's how they work.
But surely when the pickups are swapped positions it would remain not working in the bridge position.
When the reality is the issue then moves to the neck position.

admin

Quote from: Baged on December 21, 2022, 01:44:13 PMUnderstand that's how they work.
But surely when the pickups are swapped positions it would remain not working in the bridge position.
When the reality is the issue then moves to the neck position.

Tough to swap neck & bridge pickups on a Dark Fire

Neck is a stacked P90 ( called P100)  and Bridge is a typical PAF style "burst bucker 3"

Both are 4 wire to access each coil

Baged

They just plug into the main board. Don't actually physically swap them.