Roland Engineering Team Request

Started by NightSky, December 14, 2022, 02:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightSky

Hello Roland Support and Vguitar Forum Members,

I think it would be very helpful for your loyal customers if you could find a software solution for a sympathetic string vibration issue that is present in the GR-55 and SY-1000 guitar synths.

On a purely acoustic instrument, sympathetic vibrations provide richness and color to the sound in a musical way. The sympathetic vibration on the synth tones are not pleasant and are mostly pretty nasty. They do not sound musical as they would on a purely acoustic instrument. I think this is partially because the notes triggered by sympathetic vibration are not attacked in a normal way... as you would pluck a string.  The Velcro mute idea is not an option for playing solo guitar. I need the strings to ring freely when musically appropriate.

I like setting up my 5th and 6th strings for a bass tone and strings 4,3,2 & 1 as a orchestral string tone with a slow attack. I mix these tones with normal guitar with the normal guitar being prevalent.

The sympathetic vibration problem is obvious when playing the 1st string open. It triggers sounds from the 6th string and other harmonics. When plays a chord such as Dadd9, where the first string is open the sympathetic vibrations are very unpleasant. It is extremely difficult to mute the 6th string when playing this chord, especially if there are moving voices in the melody.

My old GR-1 did not have this issue... or if it did it was so quiet that it was not bothersome. I have purchased two of those units but am afraid to purchase another due to the age of the device, components, and solder connections.

I sincerely hope you will consider working on this. I love your products but have returned my GR-55. I purchased a Boss SY-1000 and found the same problem. I will be returning it as well.

Thank you!
Danny

gumtown

as per your same post in the SY-1000 section.

No Roland/Boss representatives are hanging here,
we are just an end user supported site trying to help others.

Roland/Boss make the weapons,
and we are the volunteer humanitarian aid, not even with with an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

NightSky

Hi Gumtown,

I have read many of your post and respect your knowledge and grateful for your help! I did take the time to email the Roland Coroporation (Zendesk). The reason my subject included "Roland Engineering" is due to the reply I received from the Roland Coroporation Zendesk. See below:

From the Roland Coroporation...
"If you're not already, we'd suggest contributing to the VGuitarForums.com which is the longest standing guitar synth forum on the web.
Our Roland BOSS engineers abroad monitor, review SY-1000 and GR-55 user experiences there, and work with the main admin and founder.
If there are multiple users with the same device performance issues, then they can be vocalized there and then will most likely be recognized by our BOSS guitar synth engineering team".

I am hoping others chime in as well...
Thanks
Danny

gumtown

Hi Danny, It is interesting that Roland do read posts here,
did not know that they direct customers here for support.

I have never been personally contacted by anyone from Roland, but would be happy to talk with anyone from the Roland team.  :) 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

NightSky

Gumtown,
Hope i didn't overstep my bounds here. I was just trying to get Roland's attention by the subject line in case they happen to check this site. If I did overstep my bounds, I sincerly apologize! Just trying to get results. I am so used to having the synth on my steady gigs and the GR-1 is dead. I am hoping Roland will read some of my posts.

Danny

gumtown

You are all good there Nightsky, shout and try to be heard as much as you can  ;)

I know how it feels,
like you are standing alone outside of a castle with the gates shut and locked,
trying to get someone to acknowledge you are there, but no-one is looking out.

I wish that Roland would be more candid in their communication to address these customer raised GK unit issues,
 if they could provide something like a Youtube video message just to say "We know our product is not perfect, but we are trying to make it good",
 that would actually satisfy to some extent (maybe?).

I think that previous comments on the "Roland over-hyped advertising" ring true,
 that customers expectations are set to a high standard, if a high standard is being projected in the advertising.

NightSky

Thanks gumtown

I sure hope my request gets to Roland guitar synth engineering!

All the best
Danny