Controlling external synth via Triple Play plugin in Cubase 10.5 Pro

Started by Jiffie, October 18, 2022, 10:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jiffie

Hi, I'm probably missing something obvious here but I can't find a way to do this.

I have Triple Play Wireless and use it on PC Windows 10. I use Cubase 10.5 Pro as my DAW and have the Triple Play plugin installed, it all works fine and I can control any VST softsynths no problem through the Triple Play plugin.

What I would like to do is use Triple Play to control an external hardware synth via the Triple Play plugin in Cubase. I can control a hardware synth using Triple Play by setting up a midi track in Cubase where I set the hardware synth as the target and Triple Play as the midi input.

However this does not give the same control over sensitivity etc that is available within the Triple Play plugin.

I can't find an option which allows me to set an external hardware synth as the target in the Triple Play plugin.

Any help appreciated

AlakaLazlo

What parameters aren't you able to control? If you are sending midi from your TP out to a synth, you need to make sure that the hardware is set to respond to the specific midi cc you are sending. So e.g., if you want volume control, that is usually sent over cc7. Your TP and synth both need to be set to send and receive volume control in the same cc.
Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

Jiffie

Hi AlakoLazlo,

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't very clear on what I'm trying to achieve, I've taken a few screenshots to show what I mean.

When using the TP in Cubase I can control the external synth, a Behringer Poly D, from a midi track as shown in the screenshot below by having the input as any midi input and the output as the Poly D. I could have the midi input as just the TP and it would work just the same. This works but does not give the options available in the TP plugin.

You cannot view this attachment.

What I want to do is control the Poly D  via the TP plugin as shown in the screenshot below. This would allow me to set things such as Touch Sensitivity, Pick or Fingerstyle, Dynamics Sensitivity etc as you can do if using a VSTi. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this that I can find.

I tried using the hardware option, as per the screenshot below, when selecting what the TP is controlling but it doesn't seem to give any options on where you are connecting to.

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: Jiffie on October 18, 2022, 10:00:24 AMHi, I'm probably missing something obvious here but I can't find a way to do this.

I have Triple Play Wireless and use it on PC Windows 10. I use Cubase 10.5 Pro as my DAW and have the Triple Play plugin installed, it all works fine and I can control any VST softsynths no problem through the Triple Play plugin.

What I would like to do is use Triple Play to control an external hardware synth via the Triple Play plugin in Cubase. I can control a hardware synth using Triple Play by setting up a midi track in Cubase where I set the hardware synth as the target and Triple Play as the midi input.

However this does not give the same control over sensitivity etc that is available within the Triple Play plugin.

I can't find an option which allows me to set an external hardware synth as the target in the Triple Play plugin.

Any help appreciated

In general, a plugin running inside a DAW does not have any control over MIDI routing. But as you state above, in your DAW you can route the MIDI from the TriplePlay controller to go to an external synth. At the same time, on another track running the TriplePlay plugin you can control the details of the MIDI that comes from controller. Two different tracks, but it should not be a problem, I think. I hope this helps!

Jiffie

Hi, thanks for your reply. I kinda thought this might be the case, yes I can control the external synth from my FTP using a Cubase track rather than using the FTP plugin. It would have been good to be able to do this via the plugin all the same which would have given more subtle control of response and touch etc which is available in the FTP plugin.

Would it be actually possible to do it this way if it was written into the code of the FTP plugin by offering any external midi devices recognised by the DAW as a target in the plugin, similar as to making any installed VSTi the target as is already the case?

Maybe something to consider?