SY-1000 FW 1.08 bugs

Started by admin, October 16, 2022, 01:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Gumtown wrote>

I couldn't find a search result on this, not sure if firmware 1.08 related or pre-exisiting,
 but if you go into the system menu and set any of the 6 knob assigns to either "GK SET SELECT" or "NORMAL SET SELECT",
the knob does nothing and only displays "SET 1"

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34971.0#msg258006

strudl

I did notice these little static like noise on attack with 1.08. A little bit like a digital clock trying to keep up with time.
Difficult to reproduce. They are not showstopper for me, the warbles were.
Last night, I lowered my sensitivity (GK setup from 45 to 10-15) for the presets using modeling and I have not been distracted by these little clicks.
That does not mean they are not there. My focus was elsewhere.
The reason I lowered the sensitivity was to try to reduce crosstalk on my GK3 on modeled instruments. The 5th and 6th strings generates sound even if they are not played. Cannot say if this will be a definitive setup but I had a good time with all acoustic modeled and alt tuned instruments.

stub

Just pasting the full description of the above mentioned bug here:

"go into the system menu and set any of the 6 knob assigns to either "GK SET SELECT" or "NORMAL SET SELECT",
 the knob does nothing and only displays "SET 1".

aliensporebomb

Confirmed:
On v1.08 set your guitar model to acoustic and set your alt tune to something like -5, -6, -7 etc or even above to +5 or something.
Shut off all other effects (no reverb, no delay, no compression, nothing).

Play fingerstyle. 
Record the result.

When you play, it only happens sometimes.  But it appears to occur right at the beginning of a note attack.   Only at certain points.  It SOUNDS like static, or clipping.  But it's not, it's some weird artifacting happening.

My ALT TUNE patches are primarily not acoustic so I likely wouldn't have noticed.   Weirdly, the 12-string acoustic guitar patch I sometimes play through didn't appear to happen, but that patch is normal 6-string guitar (so the 12 string mode is on but the tuning is standard EADGBE).

So once again, ALT TUNE issues perhaps. 

Guitar: Fender Roland Ready Strat.

I didn't have a huge amount of time to mess with this but that's what I've found.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

This is why I had concerns about upgrading to 1.08, so still on 1.06.

I only use the SY1000 for its strengths which varry depending upon whether I'm using the Wilcox Atlantis hex fx or Roland G505 with a GK3 mounted on it.

Wonder if that noise is because Boss gated the very firsy pick attack transient to fix that Alt.Tune  issue on guitar models? My Roland GS-6 also made a digital noise on the pick attack. Kind of a "chuhh" sound.

vanceg

I suspect you are on to something here

Quote from: chrish on November 05, 2022, 06:28:29 PMWonder if that noise is because Boss gated the very firsy pick attack transient to fix that Alt.Tune  issue on guitar models? My Roland GS-6 also made a digital noise on the pick attack. Kind of a "chuhh" sound.

strudl

Regarding the clicking bug, my humble experiment.
If I split the alt tuning on 3 different instruments (inst 1= string 1 and 2) (inst 2 = string 3 and 4) (inst 3 = string 5 and 6)
it looks like the problem is mainly on the strings 1 and 2.   

Turning alt tune off on inst 3  (first and second strings) I have not been able to reproduce the clicks.

Not really a workaround but could help better document the issue.

For the test I used a Half Nashville tuning on acoustic MA28 model 
Inst 1 String 1 and at -5 step
inst 2 String 3 and 4 at +7 step
inst 3 strings 5 and 6 at -5 step

If Alt tune is turned off on inst 1, I have not been able to hear the click.

strudl

Sorry to say that I have been hearing click on strings 5 and 6 (- 7 step).  A bit more difficult to detect as they are blending better with the transient attack I guess.

What I noticed is that the clicks are not there if I pitch up these strings (5 and 6 or\and  1 and 2) to +5 step.

Need more validation but the clicks are showing up as soon as I downshift the pitch (minus step).

I opened a support case with Roland Zendesk. At least they know.

admin_shawnb

Some posts were removed for getting seriously off topic...

Kevin M

Quote from: strudl on November 07, 2022, 07:25:12 AMSorry to say that I have been hearing click on strings 5 and 6 (- 7 step).  A bit more difficult to detect as they are blending better with the transient attack I guess.

What I noticed is that the clicks are not there if I pitch up these strings (5 and 6 or\and  1 and 2) to +5 step.

Need more validation but the clicks are showing up as soon as I downshift the pitch (minus step).

I opened a support case with Roland Zendesk. At least they know.

It sounds like you've done some great detective work here! Any way to create string isolated waveforms showing the static at the beginning?  I'm just curious.

strudl

I recorded some material with these small clicks. it was a mixed signal of the guitar no string isolated. Played fingerstyle.
Looking at the waveform nothing was noticeable.
They are well blended in the transient of the right finger attack. The fact that they are showing up randomly add to difficulty to locate them on the waveform.
I was hoping to find some signature of the noise so I could maybe clean the track. Nope !

aliensporebomb

Curious if it also affects nylon string classical style guitar or just steel string?

strudl

Nylon is alsoproducing the click.
I have not been able to reproduce the clicks with Reso and banjo.

The only field I changed was the type. No other tweaking from model to model.

Quite an experience to have Half Nashville tuning on a banjo  :)

aliensporebomb

Not happening with Poly FX.   I use that a lot.   Still...

strudl

Only happening on acoustic inst with alt tune in down scaling.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Bluesbird on December 01, 2022, 11:50:31 AMJust got a response from Roland on the click/tick bug on 1.08. They have confirmed the bug and have forwarded the problem to Boss engineering. They hope to have a fix in the near future.

Great news

I wish they would have a look at other minor bugs that have been reported.
Like the sound hold click , I'm guessing it's the same fx as in GT-1000 so
there should be the same problem in GT.
And while SY is a bit more niche they might be more interested in fixing a minor bug on the "flagship" unit.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

Bluesbird: fantastic!  If that gets fixed then some of the things I've been holding off on doing will be doable!

strudl

I also got a follow-up from Roland support regarding the click-tick bug on 1.08.
They reproduced and registered the bug and stating that a firmware update would be required. Soon, but no timeline...

Harry1227

Hello. I found a new bug. (Or is this bug already known?) Check, please.
1. Create inst osc synth in init patch.
2. Turn on ALTTUNE. For example, "OPEN D". Make sure the alt tune changes the pitch of the strings.
3. Turn on tuner mode by simultaneously pressing the bank up and bank down buttons (or press "system" button then 6 encoder). Attention! The Mute option should be active in the tuner settings (If not, press 6 encoder then turn it counter-clockwise).
4. Exit tuner mode by pressing the "exit" button. Make sure the alttune does not change the pitch of the strings, but the alttune option is still active for the inst OSC Synth.
5. Switch off and on the ALTTUNE. Make sure the alt tune changes the pitch of the strings.
6. Return to label "3"

This only works with OSC synth. And the Mute option in the tuner settings should be active.

aliensporebomb

Harry - are you saving the patch you are doing the edit to or are you just editing an existing patch, using the tuner then going back without saving it?  I have a theory.

Harry1227

I discovered this bug while playing on a saved patch. Two Dynamic synth and OSC synth were active there.
And in a previous post, I described how to create a simple patch to demonstrate this bug. You can save it, but the bug will still remain.
You can also find among your own patches one that uses OSC synth with active ALTTUNE, and switch to tuner mode. Then exit the tuner and make sure that the pitch of the strings is not changed by the ALTTUNE.
By the way, this bug also appears when the tuner is in bypass mode. This bug does not appear when the tuner is in THRU mode.
Were you able to reproduce this bug?

Elantric

Harry1227

I made a factory reset from system to variation.  The bug remained.
  I downgraded to version 1.07.  The bug remained.
How can I send a bug report?

PS
I restored the patches with BOSS TONE STUDIO. This operation completed without any error messages. BUT...  the GK SET parameter turned out to be in the SYSTEM value for all patches. I had to fix it manually for every patch :(

Elantric

Your ROLAND Backstage area -where you registered your warranty

Harry1227

Thanks for the tip. :)
  I sent them an email.