Any reason not to buy a used GR-55?

Started by Loonsailor, October 10, 2022, 12:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loonsailor

These have been around long enough that there are lots of pre-owned units floating around at good prices.  Other than the usual wear and tear issues, any reason not to buy an older unit?  Have they changed / improved over the years, even though the model number hasn't changed?  Any difference between blue and black units?

Also, it there any rumor - I know it wouldn't be confirmed - of an updated unit in the near future?  This may be the longest-lived digital guitar box that I know about.

FWIW, I'll be using my Godin w/ built in hex pickup.

Thanks!

lespauled

The difference is the color.....that's it.

I bought mine used a while back.  No issues.

Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for another unit to be released.

whippinpost91850

If it has sounds you like and you can use, I can't think of ant reason not to get one

Antonuzzo

The only reason I can think not to buy one is if you are firmly opposed to creativity and being inspired every time you turn the thing on ;D

It's the box of dreams and one of my most-loved bits of kit, ever.

The blue ones just look cooler.

Loonsailor

Quote from: Antonuzzo on October 11, 2022, 12:59:00 AMThe only reason I can think not to buy one is if you are firmly opposed to creativity and being inspired every time you turn the thing on ;D

I am firmly opposed to creativity and inspiration!  Just kidding.  I've bought a blue one, waiting for delivery.

I used a GR1 quite a lot almost 20 years ago, and recorded this album with it.  (check out Damascus Gate for some GR1 weirdness, or the "trumpet" solo on Point Beast)  But it's been gathering dust pretty much since I did that recording.  I'm looking the GR55 to get that pathway kick started again.  Not sure whether it will augment my HX Effects or replace it completely.

philjynx

Love the anagrams! Or, armhole vantages!

kenact

Quote from: Loonsailor on October 11, 2022, 10:16:32 AMI've bought a blue one, waiting for delivery.

Don't forget to download the update from Roland, if it hasn't already been updated.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

CodeSmart

Make sure all switches and connectors are working properly if buying an older unit.

I bought mine in 2012'ish. One potential problem I can think of buying a 10 year old unit is the rubber pieces touching the tactile switches when a foot pedal is pressed. Rubber may age and shrink.

My CTRL switch stopped working and I had to disassemble the unit (not easy) and extend/thicken the rubber piece with a few layers of tape to make the switch operate again.

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Antonuzzo

Quote from: Loonsailor on October 11, 2022, 10:16:32 AMI am firmly opposed to creativity and inspiration!  Just kidding.  I've bought a blue one, waiting for delivery.

Ah, you definitely got the best flavour. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

I use mine mostly for bass – ever since I passed up a Peavey Midibass years ago (and seldom a day has gone by when I haven't kicked myself over that), the GR-55 has been a godsend. Even the factory patches are inspiring!

manicstarseed

Quote from: Loonsailor on October 11, 2022, 10:16:32 AM...  I've bought a blue one, waiting for delivery.

Take the time to setup the pickup and synth. There's many threads here that offer good tips. Be patient. It is a fantastic bit o'kit.