Tripleplay with Roland JV1010

Started by Robert F, September 12, 2022, 04:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert F

Hello everybody - can I ask for some help on this, I am new to the forum, and I assume this has been covered previously (but I can't find it) ....
I run a tripleplay (wireless version) into a Kenton Midi usb host Mk3, which allows me to use all of the sounds in an old (but gold) Roland JV 1010 synth module. I run this 'in parallel' with a more trad guitar rig (Neural DSP Quad Cortex - so not totally trad  ;)
The combination of these two compact and powerful rigs is a beautiful thing. The Roland module is sending its audio out into input 2 of the Quad Cortex... and out from there into stereo Headrush FRFR-108 monitors  - very tidy.
My question is this - can I control and use a dedicated Roland Guitar Synth using the Kenton usb interface? The JV 1010 is brilliant in every way other than it is very old, has no useful display (it is just a number rather than patch name) and it has no proper Roland software editor to make patch management easy. It is all down to turning knobs on the unit and reading a number display - which is a risk for playing live! I have read that the Roland GR33 for example, has the JV module sound set - so if I could just 'plug in' to this unit via the Kenton... I would have a much more controllable module with proper display and editing facilities.
I am assuming this is impossible - based on the fact that I can't find any videos or other discussion around it on youtube or on here...
Anyone put me right on this? The Roland Guitar Synths all seem to have a proper midi 'in' as well as the 13 pin dedicated input.
Any advice appreciated!
Thanks.

admin

Quote from: Robert F on September 12, 2022, 04:32:08 AMHello everybody - can I ask for some help on this, I am new to the forum, and I assume this has been covered previously (but I can't find it) ....
I run a tripleplay (wireless version) into a Kenton Midi usb host Mk3, which allows me to use all of the sounds in an old (but gold) Roland JV 1010 synth module. I run this 'in parallel' with a more trad guitar rig (Neural DSP Quad Cortex - so not totally trad  ;)
The combination of these two compact and powerful rigs is a beautiful thing. The Roland module is sending its audio out into input 2 of the Quad Cortex... and out from there into stereo Headrush FRFR-108 monitors  - very tidy.
My question is this - can I control and use a dedicated Roland Guitar Synth using the Kenton usb interface? The JV 1010 is brilliant in every way other than it is very old, has no useful display (it is just a number rather than patch name) and it has no proper Roland software editor to make patch management easy. It is all down to turning knobs on the unit and reading a number display - which is a risk for playing live! I have read that the Roland GR33 for example, has the JV module sound set - so if I could just 'plug in' to this unit via the Kenton... I would have a much more controllable module with proper display and editing facilities.
I am assuming this is impossible - based on the fact that I can't find any videos or other discussion around it on youtube or on here...
Anyone put me right on this? The Roland Guitar Synths all seem to have a proper midi 'in' as well as the 13 pin dedicated input.
Any advice appreciated!
Thanks.

Yes, older Roland GR units work as multichannel MIDI Tone Modules using their 5 pin MIDI Input

(GR-50, GR-1, GR-09, GR-30, GR-33, GR-20

Exception is GR-55, which does not support this.

More details
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=915.0

Rolloq

Here is a software editor for Roland jv1010 mac and windows.
https://ctrlr.org/tag/jv1010/

Rolloq