GR-55 Configuring Midi connection

Started by Cla1957, June 20, 2022, 09:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cla1957

Hello ,
i´ve been successfull connected the GR-55 as a midi controller to my Daw (Reaper) but everytime i switch off the GR i must set up all over again.
Is there a way to have some kind of button (Assign ???) to push and have the GR connected as a midi controller quikly ?

Maybe i mess up some words (sorry my english) but you will understand what i meant for sure .

Thanks for your help.

Cla1957

gumtown

What specific details are you do to setup ?
The GR-55 saves any system/global settings without a need to save,
and any Assign used in a patch must be saved to the patch.

The GR-55 should not require any further setup, unless the settings are in a patch,
 which will require the same settings to be duplicated to all other User patches that you require the mid to control.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

philjynx

I wonder if it's a USB client detection thing? Does Reaper not pick up the 55 at all once it's been switched off and on again? If I'm on the right track, switch on the 55, give your operating system a few seconds to notice it, then restart Reaper. 

Many host software things will only connect to a client if it is already active before the host is.

Cla1957

Quote from: gumtown on June 20, 2022, 12:55:18 PMWhat specific details are you do to setup ?
The GR-55 saves any system/global settings without a need to save,
and any Assign used in a patch must be saved to the patch.

The GR-55 should not require any further setup, unless the settings are in a patch,
 which will require the same settings to be duplicated to all other User patches that you require the mid to control.

I just follow this instructions :

GR-55: To Send MIDI Notes from the GR-55
By default, the GR-55's Guitar-MIDI switch is turned off.
To send MIDI notes from the GR-55's USB port or MIDI output, this switch must be turned on.
Here's how to do this.
1. Press EDIT.
2. Press the right-hand PAGE button to the select the SYSTEM tab.
3. Use the cursor buttons to highlight "MIDI/USB," and then press ENTER.
4. Use the PAGE buttons to display the GTR-MIDI tab.
5. Use the cursor buttons to highlight "SWITCH."
6. Turn the dial clockwise to select "ON."
7. Press EXIT when you're finished—the new setting is saved automatically.

It´s all that true ? Thanks a lot.
Regards

gumtown

Quote from: Cla1957 on June 22, 2022, 10:08:43 AMI just follow this instructions :

GR-55: To Send MIDI Notes from the GR-55
By default, the GR-55's Guitar-MIDI switch is turned off.
To send MIDI notes from the GR-55's USB port or MIDI output, this switch must be turned on.
Here's how to do this.
1. Press EDIT.
2. Press the right-hand PAGE button to the select the SYSTEM tab.
3. Use the cursor buttons to highlight "MIDI/USB," and then press ENTER.
4. Use the PAGE buttons to display the GTR-MIDI tab.
5. Use the cursor buttons to highlight "SWITCH."
6. Turn the dial clockwise to select "ON."
7. Press EXIT when you're finished—the new setting is saved automatically.

It´s all that true ? Thanks a lot.
Regards

Yes this is all you need to do to have "Guitar to Midi" output to Reaper, there is also a setting for the Midi channel, and another setting for the midi "mode".
"Poly mode" will output all "guitar to midi" on one midi channel.
"Mono Mode" will output "guitar to midi" on 6 midi channels (one channel per string), which allows you to have string note bend per each string.

Reaper needs to know which midi channel to receive on (poly mode), or have 6 midi tracks setup for "Mono mode", with each track midi channel matched to the GR-55 midi channels (which are 6 consecutive channels from the 'base' midi channel setting in the GR-55) 

Note that the "Guitar to Midi midi channel" is a different setting from the "GR-55 General Midi channel".
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

glynndub

Open Reaper
Start up GR-55
In Reaper go to Preferences / MIDI Devices / Click on Reset all MIDI Devices
Reaper will then see GR-55

Better still...
Open Reaper
Start up GR-55
In Action list, bind "Rest All MIDI Devices" to a keyboard hot key.
Reaper will then see GR-55

Hope that helps :)

admin

Cla1957

Thank you to all.
I will try your sugestions.

Regards

1957Cla