VG8 and midi CC

Started by Silas Lang, May 30, 2022, 09:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silas Lang

I've recently purchased a VG8 Expanded, a great unit IMO. I'm trying to control it with my Rocktron All Access midi controller, together with the rest of my stuff, but at the moment no luck, except for patch change and midi bulk.

What I'm trying to do is sending a volume on/off message (CC#7) to be able to mute the device when needed, but the unit doesn't receive it. Everything seems to be ok (midi channel, device ID). It's really bizarre: the manual (I've read it) doesn't say a word about midi CC implementation, it only mentions patch change and midi bulk from and to the unit. But I refuse to believe midi CC it's not implemented on the VG8. I've got some other devices also from Roland and from the same era (GR-1 and GR-50) and both receive CC without a problem.

Does anybody know how to solve the mystery?

admin

Quote from: Silas Lang on May 30, 2022, 09:30:10 AMI've recently purchased a VG8 Expanded, a great unit IMO. I'm trying to control it with my Rocktron All Access midi controller, together with the rest of my stuff, but at the moment no luck, except for patch change and midi bulk.

What I'm trying to do is sending a volume on/off message (CC#7) to be able to mute the device when needed, but the unit doesn't receive it. Everything seems to be ok (midi channel, device ID). It's really bizarre: the manual (I've read it) doesn't say a word about midi CC implementation, it only mentions patch change and midi bulk from and to the unit. But I refuse to believe midi CC it's not implemented on the VG8. I've got some other devices also from Roland and from the same era (GR-1 and GR-50) and both receive CC without a problem.

Does anybody know how to solve the mystery?

Try CC#11

But according to the docs, that generation is Sysex only
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/VG-8_OM.pdf

Silas Lang

Thank you for the reply, but no CC command seems to work.

Still very bizarre, because it's possible to assign a midi CC to the expression pedal jack in the patch common midi menu (?!?!?!).

If indeed it's sysex only, it's very difficult to understand. GR-50, GR-1 or Boss SE-70, to name a few of the same era and before, all have midi CC implemented.

Quote from: admin on May 30, 2022, 11:49:41 AMTry CC#11

But according to the docs, that generation is Sysex only
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/VG-8_OM.pdf

Brak(E)man

If I remember correctly
The one thing that works apart from sysex is program change, not cc.
So try that route with a empty/silent patch.
I used to program vg8 with an app called sounddiver on OS9 , and also do bulk dumps
into a daw that recorded sysex. So sysex works fine.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Silas Lang

Thank you for the tip, Brak(E)man, but I cannot follow that route. I plan to use the VG8 live and hitting a program change to a silent patch mid song would also meant changing the patch of all my other devices.

I'm an absolute illiterate regarding sysex, but I seem to remember that Rocktron All Access can also send sysex commands. Can someone please enlighten me on the matter?

Quote from: Brak(E)man on May 30, 2022, 12:51:47 PMIf I remember correctly
The one thing that works apart from sysex is program change, not cc.
So try that route with a empty/silent patch.
I used to program vg8 with an app called sounddiver on OS9 , and also do bulk dumps
into a daw that recorded sysex. So sysex works fine.