Kenton Midi Host MK3 - artifacts

Started by gweston, May 11, 2022, 07:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gweston

Hi I am using KENTON Midi Host MK3.

I just plugged it in to control the Hydrasynth. I am getting some artifacts that I do not get when going through a Mac and out via USB.

Does anyone know if I might be missing a setting. I have tried the sensitivity but did not seem to make any difference.

Thanks

gweston

Some more trouble shooting.

I plugged the kenton into the Iridium and no problems. (sounds amazing actually). The difference seems to be that there is no OMNI midi input. So setting to Poly on the FTP seems to fix it.

I went back to the Hydrasynth and change the midi setting from OMNI to channel 1 and that seemed to fix it.

Is there a benefit to MONO vs Poly when using hardware?

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: gweston on May 11, 2022, 07:53:01 AM
Some more trouble shooting.

I plugged the kenton into the Iridium and no problems. (sounds amazing actually). The difference seems to be that there is no OMNI midi input. So setting to Poly on the FTP seems to fix it.

I went back to the Hydrasynth and change the midi setting from OMNI to channel 1 and that seemed to fix it.

Is there a benefit to MONO vs Poly when using hardware?
Only certain synths support TriplePlay Mono Mode (i.e. each string on a different channel). Hardware synth examples are usually multi-timbral synths, such as the flagship lines from Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Kurzweil, etc. that provide "combis" or "multis" or "performances". Synths that use "Omni" receive mode ignore the MIDI channel, and this causes various problems, most notably pitch bend being very weird, and sometimes stuck notes. So TriplePlay Poly mode is the best bet for synths like the Hydrasynth that don't have a "Multi" receive mode.