Poly Harmony...assigning a harmony within a single octave only

Started by luca9583, April 09, 2022, 06:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luca9583

I'm blown away by the Poly Harmony. It's like a "note replacer".

Is there a way to get it to only trigger within one octave so that for example if you play an open B string, it turns it into a note of your choice, but if you play a B note any octave higher or lower, the Harmony is disabled.

I suppose the only way would be to use a midi note message and convert it to a CC and then send that back to the VG to engage the Poly Harmony only when the desired pitch is played.

Shame there isn't a way to assign different harmonies to different octaves instead of having the same harmony over different octaves.

mooncaine

Interesting question, sorta makes me wish I could figure out a way, so ... I've tried and this is all I can come with, a workaround.

You can set up a control pedal as a dead man's switch, so that it's only active while your weight is on it, while you're pressing it. As soon as pressure is lifted from the switch, it turns off/on.

Stand on the pedal when you want the harmony (or vice versa). That's the closest I can come to this, I think. I use the dead man's switch trick to, for example, bring in the guitar doubling on the chorus of Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion" and then step off it at the end of the chorus. Or to engage the distortion sound sound for a couple chord stabs in Bowie's "Fashion" and then step off to revert to the cleaner, muted picking of the majority of the song's background guitar part. WHen it's time to go all Fripptastic, I stand on the pedal. I don't have to remember to turn it off, just remember to take my foot away.

It's not much, but maybe it'll become second nature. I've experimented with changing tunings or using this trick to change octaves, too.

sixeight

Interesting idea. Looks like something a VC-mini or VC-touch can do. I could translate a note message to a cc message indicating the position on the neck. Though it may be tricky with alternative tunings. On the VG99 you can then set an assign to engage the poly harmony, or any other effect. Or you could translate the position to a parameter, so you could have more delay or reverb higher up the neck.

Thanks for triggering an idea...

luca9583

Quote from: sixeight on April 10, 2022, 04:22:00 AM
Interesting idea. Looks like something a VC-mini or VC-touch can do. I could translate a note message to a cc message indicating the position on the neck. Though it may be tricky with alternative tunings. On the VG99 you can then set an assign to engage the poly harmony, or any other effect. Or you could translate the position to a parameter, so you could have more delay or reverb higher up the neck.

Thanks for triggering an idea...

Excellent. The Axe Fx has a Pitch follower that can be used as a controller to switch effects on or off, but it's a pain as it doesn't specify notes and only gives you a percentage knob from low E to high frets.

So having precise midi notes as controllers would be great. Annoying that the VG is already using pitch (although regardless of octave) to trigger the poly Harmony and Harmonist, but doesn't offer pitch as a parameter controller.