BMP tap vs delay tap , can somebody explain please?

Started by mantra, April 04, 2022, 01:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantra

Hi

I have found some internet tutorial on youtube , but i have never understood the differents between tap BMP and delay tap

I have a pedal with tap , but i guess it change the delay tempo , but i have to push 4 time the to obtain the tempo/time , on boss only  twice right?

i know i can change the Bmp value and delay value , but i have never understood why should i change BMP  , what does it change in few words

for example the use the goss gt  tape delay ,  time 376  , feedbacks 11  , level  60 , mix 100

if i use the tap dealy i can change the time delay fro 376 to x , but if i change bmp tempo , i can hear any different

Could somebody please explain in an easy english and maybe please make some examples how they work on boss gt units tap BMP ?

thanks

gumtown

DELAY TAP sets just the Delay Time (numeric value in delay time settings)
BPM TAP affects all time based effects (including delay) which can have the rate/time set to a time signature (1/4 beat for example).

Delay TAP will only result in a 1/4 note based tempo, where BPM tap can cause the delay to run at more complex time signatures, like triplets.

BPM TAP will let your other effects also be synchronised with your delay times, like tremolo or flanger rates.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mantra

Quote from: gumtown on April 04, 2022, 01:20:51 AM
DELAY TAP sets just the Delay Time (numeric value in delay time settings)
BPM TAP affects all time based effects (including delay) which can have the rate/time set to a time signature (1/4 beat for example).

Delay TAP will only result in a 1/4 note based tempo, where BPM tap can cause the delay to run at more complex time signatures, like triplets.

BPM TAP will let your other effects also be synchronised with your delay times, like tremolo or flanger rates.
Hi Gumtown
but  does not BPM tap change the delay time 376
I mean maybe it does change it only with i set up delay  to BMP ?
and if in the patch i have set master beats 4/4 should I push 4 times the accel pedal or only 2 times?
thanks

plexified

All Modulation Effects (Delay, Chorus, Flange, Rotory etc.) can be set in two ways.

1. Manually  in Milliseconds

2. Synchronized with BPM ( # of beats per minute , 60 seconds )

Manually you select the  # you want.

Synchronized you select the amount of beats per minute of the song your playing and you select the timing of a note For Example :

1/4 notes for your delay or "triplets" etc.

This is the setting AFTER the numbers in the Time Control of each effect.

Each Patch gives you the ability to select BPM so you can Synchronize it to the song if you choose to do so.

Currently your manually entering the time in your example above.

To experiment, pick a song. You can look up the songs BPM or enter it manually by using a beat calculator :

https://www.justinguitar.com/tap-tempo-bpm-tool

Set the BPM and look for the settings in the delay time they are at the end of the list. And pick the time you like. You may have to try a few to find what you like. All the Modulation effects have it at the end to sychronize if you want them.

I wish I could have made this easier, but its a complex subject.

math if you want it :

60,000 / project tempo = value of 1 beat (ms)
Using this value of 1 beat allows us to double or half this value to find out the values for a 1/2 note, or 1/8th note etc.
Lets run through a typical example...
⦁   There is 60,000 ms in a minute.
⦁   60,000 divided by your song BPM (in my case this is (120Bpm)
⦁   This gives us the value, in milliseconds, of 1 beat, (500ms for my tempo).
⦁   We can the double and half our values to create a table of beat divisions.
So the formula would look like this:
60'000 ms / 120 Bpm = 500 ms (1/4 note value)
1/2 note = 500ms * 2 (1000 ms)
1/4 note = 500ms (our project tempo in milliseconds)
1/8 note = 500ms /2 (250 ms)
1/16 note = 500ms /4 (125 ms)
1/32 note = 500ms /8 (62.5 ms)
Things to be aware of is that this is assuming the music is written in a 4/4 time signature. When inputting values into your device parameters, remember that 1000ms = 1 second.

mantra

Quote from: plexified on April 05, 2022, 10:31:58 PM
All Modulation Effects (Delay, Chorus, Flange, Rotory etc.) can be set in two ways.

1. Manually  in Milliseconds

2. Synchronized with BPM ( # of beats per minute , 60 seconds )

Manually you select the  # you want.

Synchronized you select the amount of beats per minute of the song your playing and you select the timing of a note For Example :

1/4 notes for your delay or "triplets" etc.

This is the setting AFTER the numbers in the Time Control of each effect.

Each Patch gives you the ability to select BPM so you can Synchronize it to the song if you choose to do so.

Currently your manually entering the time in your example above.

To experiment, pick a song. You can look up the songs BPM or enter it manually by using a beat calculator :

https://www.justinguitar.com/tap-tempo-bpm-tool

Set the BPM and look for the settings in the delay time they are at the end of the list. And pick the time you like. You may have to try a few to find what you like. All the Modulation effects have it at the end to sychronize if you want them.

I wish I could have made this easier, but its a complex subject.

math if you want it :

60,000 / project tempo = value of 1 beat (ms)
Using this value of 1 beat allows us to double or half this value to find out the values for a 1/2 note, or 1/8th note etc.
Lets run through a typical example...
⦁   There is 60,000 ms in a minute.
⦁   60,000 divided by your song BPM (in my case this is (120Bpm)
⦁   This gives us the value, in milliseconds, of 1 beat, (500ms for my tempo).
⦁   We can the double and half our values to create a table of beat divisions.
So the formula would look like this:
60'000 ms / 120 Bpm = 500 ms (1/4 note value)
1/2 note = 500ms * 2 (1000 ms)
1/4 note = 500ms (our project tempo in milliseconds)
1/8 note = 500ms /2 (250 ms)
1/16 note = 500ms /4 (125 ms)
1/32 note = 500ms /8 (62.5 ms)
Things to be aware of is that this is assuming the music is written in a 4/4 time signature. When inputting values into your device parameters, remember that 1000ms = 1 second.
Hi Plexified
amazing answer , an applaud and a like is a must
let's say 4/4 and 60beats =60 notes of 1/4 at 1 minute and 4 notes 1/4 of 60 beats

so I 60,00 / 60 = 1 second (1000ms) = 1/4 note value
1/2 note = 1 second(1000ms) * 2 = 2 seconds (2000ms)
i'm ok ?

may i ask you another question about some boss units?
they have in the master preset the option master beats 4/4 beats for example other boss/roland (the older) they haven't this settings in the preset/patch settings
does the boss use the master beats 4/4 ? Or is just a settings like key signature ?
QuoteThings to be aware of is that this is assuming the music is written in a 4/4 time signature. When inputting values into your device parameters, remember that 1000ms = 1 second.
yes to keep in mind always
thanks
ps sorry for my poor english