Does the fishman tripleplay present itself as a class compliant midi device?

Started by philjynx, March 04, 2022, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philjynx

When you connect a tripleplay (connect version or wireless). Is it accessible by the PC as a simple source of USB MIDI data?
Or do you have to use Fishaman's software to make use of it? I'm not asking about drivers, just whether it can be used (with Fishaman's drivers if that is the case) as though it were simply a USB MIDI keyboard.

kimyo

i've got the connect, i believe they're both the same, you do not need to run the fishman software, you get midi just like a midi keyboard.
Quote(Admin edit)
If Tripleplay is in POLY MODE, all strings send MIDI Note on /off  & Pitch Bend on One MIDI Channel.

If Tripleplay is in MONO MODE 4, Each string sends MIDI Note on /off  & Pitch Bend on its own dedicated MIDI CHANNEL ; 6 Strings = 6 MIDI CHANNELS

you need the fishman software if you want to do things like fretboard splits or setup programs (lower/higher sensitivity, pitchbend on/off/auto, fingerstyle vs pick).  once your programs are saved to the tripleplay, you can switch between them directly from the unit without needing to run the software.

philjynx

Thanks Kimyo, nice, easy to degest, answer.

Just toying with the idea of driving my Yamaha keyboard with one instead of going via my GR55 to do so.

FishmanSoftware

What kimyo says is true, but here is some more detail. Hope it might be helpful.

Yes, it uses standard MIDI over USB and there are no special drivers. But note that you might want to use the Fishman TriplePlay software to adjust the string sensitivities, load the latest firmware, and adjust a few Preferences, like Monitor Hand Position.

Then if you want to use it simply without the software, quit the TriplePlay software, then power the controller off and then back on.

If you power it on and connect it to your computer with no Fishman software running, by default it will be in Basic mode, where it transmits on MIDI channel 1 and pitch bend is disabled. In this state you can press the Enter button on the controller (the button furthest from the volume control) to enable pitch bend with a 2 semitone bend range, and then if desired, you can disable pitch bend again by pressing the Back button (the button closest to the volume control).

If you are using the wired version, i.e. if you are using TriplePlay Connect controller, it works similarly but you press and release both buttons at the same time to toggle pitch bend on and off.

There is a lot more that you can do with hardware mode and creating custom hardware patches, but this should get you started.

philjynx

Quote from: FishmanSoftware on March 04, 2022, 03:55:21 PM
...Yes, it uses standard MIDI over USB and there are no special drivers. But note that you might want to use the Fishman TriplePlay software to adjust the string sensitivities, load the latest firmware, and adjust a few Preferences, like Monitor Hand Position.

Then if you want to use it simply without the software, quit the TriplePlay software, then power the controller off and then back on....
Those settings are then stored in the device?

I love that wired is an anagram of weird....

admin

Quote from: philjynx on March 04, 2022, 04:14:22 PM
Those settings are then stored in the device?

I love that wired is an anagram of weird....

Yes inside the guitar mounted Tripleplay Transmitter

philjynx

Interesting stuff, thanks folks. It seems like it may be a better way to 'play' synthesisers with a guitar than via a Roland device, firstly becasue doinlg so (via Roland) adds more delay, and secondly because Roland/ Boss (take your pick) don't seem to do PTM very well and they don't seem very interested in improving in that regard. Not that my various devices from them are going in the bin though, they're all good in other ways.