I've re-bought it.

Started by mchad, February 10, 2022, 09:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

One going locally for a very attractive price.

I did like it when I had it a few years back. I like the tracks I wrote with it.

I opened up my old SY300 BTS app last night and thought well, I should revisit that little well of inspiration.

I do have the SY1000 but I think the 300 has got its own thing going.

What if I ran them together? hmmm....

Ebenezer

Quote from: mchad on February 10, 2022, 09:12:53 PM
One going locally for a very attractive price.

I did like it when I had it a few years back. I like the tracks I wrote with it.

I opened up my old SY300 BTS app last night and thought well, I should revisit that little well of inspiration.

I do have the SY1000 but I think the 300 has got its own thing going.

What if I ran them together? hmmm....

I thought that I will sell SY300 after buying SY1000. But I preferred to hold it as I am finding it to be complementing SY1000 very well with additional synth/guitar sounds when used along with it or with GR55 or
with GR30. While the SY1000 does not need the hex pickup, it still shines big with the hex pickup. The SY300 on other hand through its regular 1/4 input pairs well easily with any of the hex pickup guitar synths or with other modelers such as HX stomp or GT1000core and expands the range of synth as well as guitar tonal possibilities. It is also very useful as a standalone compact multi-effects pedal. I just wish that Boss updates it with better footswitch customization options. For example, one of the footswitches is limited to just turning on/off the synth sounds. Also, there is no possibility for a manual mode similar to the one in SY1000.

mchad

Kevin M

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

mchad

I'm still on a Blender!

That feature rocks.

The factory patches stink.

I pull up a patch and hit the Blender and methodically click through the combinations. There's hidden gems.

I don't know how to save a setting to the BTS. I don't want to write a setting to the unit. Yet. I need to save lots of settings!

I've got the BTS manual open now. I am RTFM but it's not immediately obvious re saving a setting.

BROCKSTAR

The blender is awesome, and really wished some sort of blender or randomizer would have been done on the sy-1000 as well, or at least they could add it in the sy-1000 BTS... but they won't.

The blender and the reverbs and delays as they are better in the sy-300 compared to the sy-1000 reverbs and delays, is good enough reason to have the sy-300.

I've used the blender option a lot for my presets in the videos below along with fine tuning things afterwards etc.. etc.. Amazing results!

mchad

Thanks Brockstar. I actually bought a set of your patches back when I first owned the 300. I'll be queueing those up to audition shortly.

The Blender rocks and it needs to live on in the next iteration of the 300. Which if I be so bold as to predict the SY500. I hope Boss take note and continue the line retaining features we here flag as being required!

Or a successor to the GP10. A little bit of SY1000 and a little bit of SY300.

Next on my to do list is hook up the 300 to the 1000 and see/hear what glory comes of that. I used to own a GP10 and that and the 300 was a cool combo.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: mchad on February 16, 2022, 04:30:22 PM
Thanks Brockstar. I actually bought a set of your patches back when I first owned the 300. I'll be queueing those up to audition shortly.

The Blender rocks and it needs to live on in the next iteration of the 300. Which if I be so bold as to predict the SY500. I hope Boss take note and continue the line retaining features we here flag as being required!

Or a successor to the GP10. A little bit of SY1000 and a little bit of SY300.

Next on my to do list is hook up the 300 to the 1000 and see/hear what glory comes of that. I used to own a GP10 and that and the 300 was a cool combo.

GP-10 is indeed cool :D I have it too! Also I'm not sure which volume of presets you have of mine for the sy-300, but message me and I'll send you the other volume you need!

chrish

Quote from: mchad on February 16, 2022, 02:59:21 PM
I'm still on a Blender!

That feature rocks.

The factory patches stink.

I pull up a patch and hit the Blender and methodically click through the combinations. There's hidden gems.

I don't know how to save a setting to the BTS. I don't want to write a setting to the unit. Yet. I need to save lots of settings!

I've got the BTS manual open now. I am RTFM but it's not immediately obvious re saving a setting.
once all the patches are set to one genre of music like ambient, one out every 3- 4 patches will be ambient using the blender.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: chrish on February 16, 2022, 04:55:09 PM
once all the patches are set to one genre of music like ambient, one out every 3- 4 patches will be ambient using the blender.

Yeah but that all depends is it good ambient or bad ambient lol. Still takes awhile sometimes to keep blending until something decent comes along to fine tune.

gumtown

The Blender uses sements from all of your User patches, randomly re-arranging those patch sections.
So the outcome depends on your current patch collection.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mchad

Boss is on a winner here. I hope they continue to develop it.

I know there's other synth pedals around but I personally love the display! This is basic UI fundamentals that humans like. Some other notable synth pedals don't have even a preset number readout.

Anyways, I turned all the OSC's to input and made some conventional guitar tone patches. You could gig with just the SY300! I took my Strymon Iridium out of the drawer but haven't put it with the 300 yet. When I do I think it will be pretty good.

I also made some synth patches. Cool pads. Some sequenced stuff. The sequencer appears to do pitch only? Not filter or volume? I do have an EHX 8 step. Maybe that will work into the Exp jack. That could be awesome.

Some of the OSC voicings I don't like at all. You need to work at it.

The 300 in Australia retails at $1299. I got a lightly used one for $490. Crikey.

Has anyone hooked up a 300 to the SY1000? That could get interesting quickly. Especially when using patches contributed by members here.