Which guitars are easiest to install the GK-3 Pickup

Started by Durodon, December 13, 2021, 04:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durodon

I have about 15 electric guitars and they are mostly classic like Strats, tele, SG, Les Paul, Mustang, semi hollow body (a Gretch with p90s and a Peavey with humbuckers); Danelectro Wild Thing; along with a Peavey AT-100, an 80s Washburn KC100, and a PRS SE 24 Custom. Which would be the easiest to install the GK-3? I have no experience of guitar modding. I know as this is an external kit, it is relatively simple compared to the internal one but on forums still experienced gigging guitarists complain about what a ballache it is to do this correctly and set it up with a Roland synth. Hope someone can advise. Thanks

roachone

I don't see a problem with any of them to be honest but I know it fits a Strat super easy!

Durodon

Well I have heard that there are issues with space between the pickups and the bridge - especially with tremolos. Also curved front guitars like PRS' people say are problematic. Gibsons seem to be more difficult than Fenders, but plenty of Fender owners have complained too, which is why you can buy a $40 small piece of  metal that attaches to the bridge to make the install easier.

Have you installed personally on Strats? I was thinking of my Japan Blue Lunar model which is oddly not that friendly to play - think it has high action and crap old fashioned tuners, but is the right shape at least and I would have found a use for it.

pasha811

The ideal guitar to install a GK3 on (which is thicker than GK2A) is a Guitar without pickguard.
Just for an example this one would be just right.
https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?it_id=1608597829
I have an American Strat with a GK2A a Mexican Fender Player and an LTD ST213.
My experience so far :

1) It's not an easy fit if the Guitar is setup maniacally to have a low action (even the one reccomended by Fender does not leave enough space for the GK and 1mm space with the strings)

2) The Strat Plus (1989) took the GK2A nicely without any modification. The GK2A is 1mm less thick than GK3 and that helps including the higher action compared to Fender Specs.

3) I had to butcher the pickguard of my LTD ST-213 (you can find my posts on the forum) to make room for it and having a low action (the same specs more or less of Fender Strats). I had tried to raise the neck with a neck shim but I was not satisfied by the result so I decided to get back to stock neck, remove the shim and cut the pickguard.

4) I have spared the Strat Fender Player as It turned out that I am very dangerous with a Dremel in my hands even if now I would know how to do it better. The Guitar is setup low action as per Fender specs : https://fendercustomersupport.microsoftcrmportals.com/en-us/knowledgebase/article/KA-01901.

So in a nutshell, the GK3 is too thick to stay under the string at the tremolo bridge of a Strat (especially if kept flush with body instead of the natural floating position) and provide the 1mm clearance required by Roland. If your action is in the 2.2 - 2.4 mm then you might succed even with a pickguard based Strat. If it's lower you'll have problems. Telecasters require a lot more job as the ashtray bridge needs work and we have a great member that did it! Beware Cort / Charvel as some have a recessed body for the tremolo bridge and you might have problems  with clearance between the body and the strings anyway.

As said it all depends on your action. If you are a super low action fast shredder then you need to work on the pickguard of a Stratocaster or similar guitar and a non recessed body dual humbucker Axe will get it nicely.

Hope this helps.
It's my experience.
Paolo

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

szilard

I have a 2000 MIA Fender STD Strat and a GK 2A installed with no problems. Since it has a pickguard I screwed it in - it didn't need any spacers.

pasha811

Quote from: szilard on December 13, 2021, 08:32:07 AM
I have a 2000 MIA Fender STD Strat and a GK 2A installed with no problems. Since it has a pickguard I screwed it in - it didn't need any spacers.

GK2A is smaller than GK3. I have mounted with Roland .25 double tape spacer but I have ideas about using the screws and lower the action.
Paolo

pasha811

Quote from: pasha811 on December 13, 2021, 09:37:05 AMGK2A is smaller than GK3. I have mounted with Roland .25 double tape spacer but I have ideas about using the screws and lower the action.
Paolo

... And I did it some months ago. I took the dremel (I am good at drilling holes!) made the little pilot holes than used the Roland provided screws. This helped reducing the action by the .25 tape that has now gone. Still an higher action than recommended by Fender but playable. I am not a shredder so it's not ideal but works. This 1989 guitar needs a proper fretwork so for the moment I do not want to cut the pickguard and lower the action as this could have a bad effect of fret buzz (so far none).   

kenact

Most of mine are Godin, with built in pickups. The one guitar I did have a problem with was a Vintage (brand name) SG copy. The plate that mounts under the tune-o-matic bridge, doesn't allow the bridge to go down far enough, so the action stays pretty high. I think the issue is the Trev Wilkenson Tune-o-matic design. The bridge anchors rest on top of the body, instead of being flush.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7