Anyone still actively using the SY-300?

Started by sine_3000, December 02, 2021, 11:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sine_3000

Or has that unit been eclipsed by something better (with equal/superior performance & function?)?

I know plenty of folks still continue to use and swear by lots of older units,  I'm not looking to start a philosophical discussion on the merits of vintage gear.

I'm specifically asking if any advanced/pro players have adopted gear that they feel outperforms something like the SY-300?

Only interested in non-GK3 playable units, so that rules out the SY-1000.

I'm considering the SY-200. I'm aware of it's limitations but also its advantages vis a vis not needing to build/program patches from scratch.

Thanks for any input.

admin

IMHO Fresh out of box, the SY-300 factory patches are among the worst on any gear I have purchased in past 30 years .
I'm sure many SY-300  demo units collect dust
Its perfect for Arcade sounds

Its merits are revealed in our user to user SY-300 patch exchange
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=191.0

But everyone has different focus and goals

Mine is Alt Tuning at live gigs =divided pickup and SY-1000 , as that accomplishes my goals, while SY-300 , SY-1, SY-200, Eurus GS1 can never perform these tasks I readily use and enjoy on SY-1000 with GK-3.

Read SY-300 User Examples
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=201.0

Brak(E)man

I still use SY-300 with both acoustic and electric guitars without hex.
(and double bass)
The FX and the synth sounds + the dist/amp section are great.
The polyphony not.
I also use the SY-1000.

I would consider a 300 and not a 200.
It's not a very difficult unit to program, I think the lack of
user patches is because the sound changes a lot with what you put in
and also the settings in the input block.

the SY- 300s fx alone is worth the price of a secondhand one.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

Pat Methany uses a SY300 also.

The SY1000 will also except a 1/4" input to use with fx and dynamic synth.

BROCKSTAR

I still use it! I think the effects are much better than sy-1000 effects. It's a great ambient box!

Kevin M

Bought one, sold it, regretted that decision, and bought another one. There's quite a bit of great tones that can be coaxed from it.  The blender function is a great patch-creation companion.

Ebenezer

I still use it along with GR55, SY1000 and Line 6 HX stomp. As already stated here, it is a very good gadget for ambient sounds, and it has great effects along with very good distortion options. I bought SY1000 thinking that I could sell of SY300. But some of the synth and guitar sounds are unique to SY300 and it has not been easy to reproduce them with SY1000. If you have a Boss GT1000 core or HX stomp or a GP-10 or any of your favorite pedals, it can pair very well to give a lot of unique synth tones in a highly compact easy to carry pedal board. A cool thing about SY300 is the capability to feed any sound from these effects into it and use that as an input waveform. Alternatively, SY300 waveforms can also be sent into other gadgets to further fine-tune the output synth sound.

guitarnoodle

I have mine with my band that I'm in, and actually have never tried using it with midi and using ctl 1, and ctl 2 and ctl 3, as well as expression, until now. Since now ive hooked it in with midi its opened up a lot more sound options so, im starting to try using the editor to program things.

if only i could share my single patches though, thats the only downside. its impossible.