the ultimate tripleplay low latency hack

Started by kimyo, November 06, 2021, 09:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimyo

if you have an old steel string acoustic in the closet, or a guitar which isn't getting much use try this: 1) replace all the strings with high E or B strings 2) glom your tripleplay onto said guitar (mine never seems to mind if i've neglected to install it properly) and 3) use midi transpose in the daw of your choice to regain your desired tuning (in ableton this requires one channel per string). 

why?  12 msec response no matter where you play on the fretboard. 

this attached shows the initial magnetic pickup signal (top track) followed by an ableton synth (bottom track).  sounds were triggered from the bottom to the top of the fretboard.  the latency is 12msec +/-0.5msec.  samples were recorded at 64 bits using ableton live 9. 

note: use closed back headphones to maintain your sanity.

significantly lighter strings probably means faster shredding for most.  obviously, you're trading away the ability to mix in your guitar's 'natural' sound, so this won't work for some situations.  but it is a solid option for synth-only work.

trying this on a secondary guitar will allow you to compare the two options.  i've only been running this way for a few days, but already i'm wondering if i'll be as happy when i shift back to eadgbe.  i find i'm less hesitant to use string bends this way.

cellomangler

I just posted a new topic along these lines.  I built me a custom guitar for using the all high E string concept.  Problem is, I'm getting very glitchy behavior.  I've got the action set up great.  I'll let you read my post if you feel like it, but I'm curious what your setting were in the Tripleplay software.