Win11 ROLAND/BOSS USB DRIVER status for Win11

Started by admin, October 22, 2021, 12:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

COMPATIBILITY WITH WINDOWS 11

Compatibility with Windows 11 will be verified and announced after the release of Windows 11.
If you are using a Roland product with a connection to a Windows PC, we recommend that you stay with Windows 10 until the results of our verification process are published.

Get latest status of Windows 11 USB drivers for Roland products
https://www.roland.com/global/support/support_news/2109281000/

Get latest status of Windows 11 USB drivers for Boss products
https://www.boss.info/us/support/support_news/2109281000/

Vaultnaemsae

I had no issues running the VG-99 Editor software on Windows 11.
Audio -- I can't speak for (as it is a Win 11 VM running in macOS) -- VMs are always weird with audio.

EDIT: I'm a fool...I had the VG-99 connected via a UM-One Mk 2.

I have so many cables running here and there and have been in the beta for Windows 11 so long that I forgot how I'd connected it. Apologies. No driver can be installed.

I also recall now that I tried my old trick of running network MIDI from the macOS side to the VM using RTP MIDI (from the UM1 that is connected through another MIDI interface with a USB host port)...but it wouldn't install on the VM-side.   
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

gumtown

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on October 23, 2021, 11:58:02 PM
I had no issues running the VG-99 Editor software on Windows 11.
Audio -- I can't speak for (as it is a Win 11 VM running in macOS) -- VMs are always weird with audio.

Did the VG-99 Windows driver install ? (are you using the VG-99 USB port?)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Vaultnaemsae

Quote from: gumtown on October 24, 2021, 03:38:00 AM
Did the VG-99 Windows driver install ? (are you using the VG-99 USB port?)

See my edit to previous post...I was mistaken/confused.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Adonf

Hi, since Microsoft opened the floodgates for Win 11 I have installed it on my AMD Rysen 7 motherboards Gigabyte 16go memory.
I reinstalled the Win 10 drivers for my gr55 and boss gt-1 and have not noticed any compatibility problems with the 11, no bugs for two weeks of use. ;)
Egsolidbody French Kit SM-DC Deluxe
Roland Gr 55
Line 6 Ux1
Soundcraft EPM8
katana MK2 100
Marshall Valvelstate 80v
Prs se Santana 2002
Focales Alpha 50

chichi

I just got a Windows 11 machine and successfully made VG99 driver works for Windows 11, these are the steps:

You probably know how the VG99 driver work for Win10 now - - since around 2017 VG99's Windows 10 driver will be installed automatically from internet the first time you turn it on with USB cable connected. But that is not the case for Win11. The driver will still be installed from internet, but an error message pops up and saying the driver cannot be loaded due to a "memory security" setting.

That "memory security setting" is called "Memory Integrity" and this is where to find it:

Settings – Privacy & Security – Open Windows Security – Device Security – Core Isolation, then click "Core Isolation Details"

You will see "Memory Integrity" is on, if you can turn it off, reboot, then the VG99 driver installed automatically from internet will work. But that is not the case again, Win11 appears to have a bug and the "Memory Integrity" toggle is grayed-out and saying this setting is managed by your administrator (my account is the administrator).

This Youtube video shows you how to resolve this bug:

In short, the resolution in video is -- go to Registry Editor and switch off the "Memory Integrity":

In Registry Editor go to:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity

Then double-click the "Enabled" and change the value from 1 to 0, then reboot. The "Memory Integrity" toggle is turned off and VG99 driver is working.

chichi

I also tried the trick we discussed here when Windows 10 started many years back, sorry I tried and could not find that tread now, should be somewhere in this forum.

Basically the trick is to install Roland Win8 drivers on Win10, for those older Roland gears that the latest drivers we can find are for Win8:

1. Modify a .inf file found in driver installation files (if you can find the thread that I mentioned above, someone provided the details about how to modify the .inf file, providing installation info for Win10).

2. Go to Settings - System - Recovery - Advanced startup (click Restart Now on the right) - wait until the system restarts - then select "Troubleshoot" - Advanced Options - Startup Settings - Restart (system will restart again) - Press 7 to select "Disable driver signature enforcement" - Then you can install the Win8 driver with that .inf file modified - reboot and the driver works.

However, "Device encryption" is enabled by the default Win11 installation. When you do the 2nd step above the restart will enter BitLocker Recovery mode and ask you to enter the Recovery Key.

If you know how to obtain recovery key before performing 2nd step above then you are good. If you don't, just disable "Device encryption" then enable it later. You can disable it temporarily in Settings - Privacy & security - Device encryption.

Using above trick, I just successfully installed the driver for my old Roland SonicCell on Win11. SonicCell is a synth module + audio and midi interfaces, and came with Editor software, which is not supported by Roland anymore and the latest driver is for Win8. Now all drivers and software for my 2 old Roland gears - VG99 and SonicCell work perfectly on Win11.

admin

Quote from: chichi on February 27, 2022, 09:17:04 PM
I also tried the trick we discussed here when Windows 10 started many years back, sorry I tried and could not find that tread now, should be somewhere in this forum.

Basically the trick is to install Roland Win8 drivers on Win10, for those older Roland gears that the latest drivers we can find are for Win8:

1. Modify a .inf file found in driver installation files (if you can find the thread that I mentioned above, someone provided the details about how to modify the .inf file, providing installation info for Win10).

2. Go to Settings - System - Recovery - Advanced startup (click Restart Now on the right) - wait until the system restarts - then select "Troubleshoot" - Advanced Options - Startup Settings - Restart (system will restart again) - Press 7 to select "Disable driver signature enforcement" - Then you can install the Win8 driver with that .inf file modified - reboot and the driver works.

However, "Device encryption" is enabled by the default Win11 installation. When you do the 2nd step above the restart will enter BitLocker Recovery mode and ask you to enter the Recovery Key.

If you know how to obtain recovery key before performing 2nd step above then you are good. If you don't, just disable "Device encryption" then enable it later. You can disable it temporarily in Settings - Privacy & security - Device encryption.

Using above trick, I just successfully installed the driver for my old Roland SonicCell on Win11. SonicCell is a synth module + audio and midi interfaces, and came with Editor software, which is not supported by Roland anymore and the latest driver is for Win8. Now all drivers and software for my 2 old Roland gears - VG99 and SonicCell work perfectly on Win11.

What trick do you suggest for the opposite?

How to use a Boss RC-600 which only has Win10 USB Driver on Windows 8.1 ?

gumtown

Quote from: admin on February 27, 2022, 09:55:58 PM
What trick do you suggest for the opposite?

How to use a Boss RC-600 which only has Win10 USB Driver on Windows 8.1 ?

Adding a modded line to the *.ini file should do it with a downgraded Windows OS number for 8.1.

Then installing on the Windows 8.1 system, which may require some jiggly poke to install unsigned drivers (the *.ini mod invalidates the digital signing cert).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chichi

I don't have Win8 computer to test so not sure if doing opposite will work, you can try it:

SonicCell Win8 driver installation files, find a .INF file named RDIF1070.INF, open it with Notepad, find this section and this is how I modified it for Win10 installation:

BEFORE:

[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; Windows8
%RDID0070DeviceDesc%=RDID0070Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_00C2 ; SonicCell

[Roland.NTamd64.7]
;; not supported

AFTER:

[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; Windows8

[Roland.NTamd64.7]
;; Windows 10

As I mentioned above, VG99 is not required to do this trick now. This was how I did the same trick during the beginning of Win10:

In VG99's Win 8 driver installation files, find a file named RDIF1067.INF, open it with Notepad. Same as above modification:

BEFORE:

[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; Windows8
%RDID0067DeviceDesc%=RDID0067Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_00B2 ; VG-99

[Roland.NTamd64.7]
;; not supported

AFTER:

[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; Windows8

[Roland.NTamd64.7]
;; Windows 10

There are also lines like this in older Win7, WinXP drivers.

admin

Real world need

Boss RC-600
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/rc-600/updates_drivers/5d8e2eb3-c50b-489a-9778-c9748c4fe7a5/
Only Windows 10 / 11 auto install USB Drivers exist- which presents a hurdle for Windows 8.1 Users

I may be able connect RC-600 to a separate Windows 10 64 bit computer , allow the RC-600 USB /ASIO Driver to auto install - but then figure out how to extract the USB Driver to a thumb drive , and manipulate my Win 8.1 64 bit computers  Registry , to allow the RC-600 USB /ASIO Driver to function on Win8.1 computer

BROCKSTAR

So i got a new laptop yesterday and upgraded it to windows 11 and boss gp-10 and sy-300 editors won't even install on windows 11. So far i got sy-1000 and vg-99 editors to install and open but haven't tried them yet.