Possible to put the output from the GT-1000 Core into another audio interface?

Started by Chrls, October 15, 2021, 02:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrls

Hi,

Its probably a very stupid question, however I am relatively new to the world of effect pedals/modelers.
I life in a small appartment so I can only play via headphones. I want to hear the sound of output of the GT-1000 Core while I play gutiar and at the same time listen to/play to tracks from Spotify.
I previously used Guitar Rig 5 and used a Komplete Audio 2 audio interface, where I could do exactly this (simply turn on Guitar Rig and Spotify and do both at the same time). Now I want to do the same with my Boss GT-1000 Core. Using the GT-1000 Core itself as an audio interface is not an ideal option since the GT-1000 Core should stay on the ground to use its foot switches while playing and my headphone cable is not long enough and with all the cables laying around its quite a mess.
Is there an option to simple put the output from the GT-1000 Core to my Komplete Audio 2 audio interface and then put my headphones into the audio interface? Does it need to run through a DAW? I tried exactly this (Guitar signal -> Input R/Mono -> Output R/Mono -> Input Audio Interface -> DAW Computer), but when I do this I need to put the Output Level from the GT-1000 Core and the Output Volume from the Audio Interface EXTREMELY high to hear something (not even good quality then). If I use the same setup (Guitar signal -> Input R/Mono -> Output R/Mono -> Input Audio Interface) and instead of opening the DAW (FL Loops) and instead start Guitar Rig 5 I do not need to put all the output levels very high. Its simply enough to put it to normal levels, however doing this, Guitar Rig 5 will change the sound (I am not aware of a complete "clean" output of Guitar Rig 5, which might exist...).

Are you aware of a solution for this withouth the need of buying further equipment?

Thanks for your help

szszoke

Quote from: Chrls on October 15, 2021, 02:40:44 PM
Hi,

Its probably a very stupid question, however I am relatively new to the world of effect pedals/modelers.
I life in a small appartment so I can only play via headphones. I want to hear the sound of output of the GT-1000 Core while I play gutiar and at the same time listen to/play to tracks from Spotify.
I previously used Guitar Rig 5 and used a Komplete Audio 2 audio interface, where I could do exactly this (simply turn on Guitar Rig and Spotify and do both at the same time). Now I want to do the same with my Boss GT-1000 Core. Using the GT-1000 Core itself as an audio interface is not an ideal option since the GT-1000 Core should stay on the ground to use its foot switches while playing and my headphone cable is not long enough and with all the cables laying around its quite a mess.
Is there an option to simple put the output from the GT-1000 Core to my Komplete Audio 2 audio interface and then put my headphones into the audio interface? Does it need to run through a DAW? I tried exactly this (Guitar signal -> Input R/Mono -> Output R/Mono -> Input Audio Interface -> DAW Computer), but when I do this I need to put the Output Level from the GT-1000 Core and the Output Volume from the Audio Interface EXTREMELY high to hear something (not even good quality then). If I use the same setup (Guitar signal -> Input R/Mono -> Output R/Mono -> Input Audio Interface) and instead of opening the DAW (FL Loops) and instead start Guitar Rig 5 I do not need to put all the output levels very high. Its simply enough to put it to normal levels, however doing this, Guitar Rig 5 will change the sound (I am not aware of a complete "clean" output of Guitar Rig 5, which might exist...).

Are you aware of a solution for this withouth the need of buying further equipment?

Thanks for your help

Your audio interface should have a line/instrument switch for each input. Those should be in the line position.

Connect the output of the GT-1000 and set the output level knob to 50%.

Plug headphones into the monitor jack on the front right and maybe set the monitor volume to 50%.

Just leave the headphones on your desk because you don't actually know how loud the sound will be.

Start turning up the gain on the input that you are using until you start hearing something.

If you turn the gain up too much there will be clipping and additional distortion.

There is a VU meter on your interface, try to set the gain so that the VU meter stays in the green.

szszoke

One more thing!

There is an input/host knob. This will adjust the balance between direct monitoring of the input and computer audio.

When this knob is completely in the input position, you will only hear the input in the headphones. When the knob is completely in the other direction you will only hear the computer audio in the headphones.

When it is in the middle, you will hear 50% of both at the same time.

I'd adjust it to 50% or completely to the input position if you don't need to hear any audio from the computer.

Chrls

Thank you! This helped a lot. The problem was mainly due to the input/host knob  ::)
However I need to put the switch of my audio interface to "instrument" and not "line", otherwise the signal is very low and with the switch at "instrument" it works perfect. Is this still okay or can this damage something? The VU meter on my audio interface never goes into the red area.
Another thing I noted is that the dots for the output in the right upper corner of the Boss GT-1000 Core are almost always at the maximum position when I go over approximately 30% of the output level. Is there a reason that this is always that high, even if the output level is set to such a low level? Can this damage something?

szszoke

Quote from: Chrls on October 17, 2021, 06:58:37 AM
Thank you! This helped a lot. The problem was mainly due to the input/host knob  ::)
However I need to put the switch of my audio interface to "instrument" and not "line", otherwise the signal is very low and with the switch at "instrument" it works perfect. Is this still okay or can this damage something? The VU meter on my audio interface never goes into the red area.
Another thing I noted is that the dots for the output in the right upper corner of the Boss GT-1000 Core are almost always at the maximum position when I go over approximately 30% of the output level. Is there a reason that this is always that high, even if the output level is set to such a low level? Can this damage something?

I would not worry about it. As long as you don't hear clipping you should be fine.

Regarding the output level and the indicator in the GT-1000:

The same thing happens on mine, especially on patches that have a distortion pedal engaged.

At 50% output level, the indicator on mine is almost at maximum but there is about 2-3 bars worth of room left.
At 100% output level, the indicator is usually at maximum or there is one bar worth of room left.

Note that the indicator goes all the way to the right of the screen so that there is no more space left.
If the bars in the indicator are not literally touching the right edge of the screen, then the indicator is not at the maximum position.

Chrls

Okay, the same happens on mine. Thank you for all your help, solved all my questions!