Kemper Profiling amp- "amp clone" beyond modeling!

Started by RicardoLove, March 02, 2011, 04:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippinpost91850

scratch17

Already own a rack and I love it. I was contemplating a second Kemper rack. Now I want a Stage. The two combined will be formidable.

I am hoping that Stage can operate as a slave as well as a master when connecting via S/PDIF.

My UA Apollos can operate as slaves, so I can connect a single Kemper via S/PDIF. But two Kempers can't connect to two Apollos via S/PDIF because both need to be set as masters.

This also makes connecting two Kemper Rack or Toasters via S/PDIF a problem.

If the Stage could operate as a slave, these issues would be resolved.

I could connect the rack and Stage in series without an extra conversion step to create a monster. And I could connect both my Rack and a Stage to my two Apollos via S/PDIF.

That would give me an external loop before the amp stack for wahs, overdrives, fuzz, etc., and two loops for time based effects post amp stack.

Or I could mix preamp only rigs in the rack with power amp only rigs in the Stage.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

admin

Quote from: scratch17 on July 22, 2019, 11:58:38 AM
Already own a rack and I love it. I was contemplating a second Kemper rack. Now I want a Stage. The two combined will be formidable.

I am hoping that Stage can operate as a slave as well as a master when connecting via S/PDIF.

My UA Apollos can operate as slaves, so I can connect a single Kemper via S/PDIF. But two Kempers can't connect to two Apollos via S/PDIF because both need to be set as masters.

This also makes connecting two Kemper Rack or Toasters via S/PDIF a problem.

If the Stage could operate as a slave, these issues would be resolved.

I could connect the rack and Stage in series without an extra conversion step to create a monster. And I could connect both my Rack and a Stage to my two Apollos via S/PDIF.

That would give me an external loop before the amp stack for wahs, overdrives, fuzz, etc., and two loops for time based effects post amp stack.

Or I could mix preamp only rigs in the rack with power amp only rigs in the Stage.

Agreed!

SPDIF Input is useless if:

A:  The target receiving SPDIF device can not be set as Audio Slave, and can NOT extract wordclock from the received SPDIF data stream     

or

B: The Target receiving device lacks a built in real time SPDIF Sample Rate Converter to allow external SPDIF streams to be converted to accommodate the internal Master Clock of the target device.
Pro gear often includes separate Wordclock BNC I/O jacks 

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/group0/c5/67/84/35/7e/4c/4c/19/DM00431633/files/DM00431633.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00431633.pdf

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/743164-ua-apollo-s-pdif-sample-rate-conversion.html

thebrushwithin

sixeight

Quote from: admin on July 21, 2019, 02:55:15 PM
Luckily this has SPDIF IO

Allows VG99 to perform Guitar Modeling , then connect to Kemper Stage via SPDIF ( as many already do today with VG-99 and Helix

It would work with the VG99, but I think the Kemper lacks the routing flexibility to really make full use of the potential of the VG99.

In my setup with VG99 and Helix, I have three sound sources: channel A, channel B and the direct signal from the guitar., which I like to combine and layer in many ways building my patches.

For me the ideal Kemper would be either a new model with multiple amps and much more routing options, or a very small profile player, that is midi controllable, that I could add to one of the loops of the Helix.

I do think Kemper will sell many of the stage units, as it will appeal to many users. But for my needs it does not fit the bill.

scratch17

Could you use an external clock to overcome the limitation of only operating as a master?

So for example, you have 2 Kempers which only operate as master. You set both up to operate at 48 khz and as master with S/PDIF sources.

Now add an external clock that can operate as a master or a slave. Connect each of the Kempers to the external clock with each connection having the clock operate as a slave. Could the clock resolve any differences internally between each of the S/PDIF streams so that S/PDIF could be passed between the two Kempers?

Kemper 1: Set as master @ 48 kHz (S/PDIF out) --> external clock

Kemper 2: Set as master @ 48 kHz (S/PDIF out) --> same external clock

Clock resolves differences and sends each Kemper S/PDIF even though it is operating as master.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

scratch17

@sixeight said:

the Kemper lacks the routing flexibility to really make full use of the potential of the VG99.

Potentially, the new software that is coming might allow a Kemper Rack or Toaster to use the S/PDIF I/O as an external loop. There are two external hardware loops on the Stage; one on Toaster and Rack.

Note that loop 1 on the Stage can also be used as an extra external mono output and/or and external stereo input.

Since Kemper has confirmed that any profile is fully compatible with any model of KPA, there will need to be a way to use a profile created with the two loops on the Stage with a Toaster or Rack. So the Rack and Toaster will have to be able to add the functionality of a second hardware loop to the profile. I would think that a firmware update might allow the Rack or Toaster to use some I/O as a second loop.

a very small profile player, that is midi controllable, that I could add to one of the loops of the Helix.

All Kempers are MIDI controllable. That's how my RJM MMGT10 controls my Kemper Rack.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

scratch17

Quoting G-String (Kemper rep) on the Kemper forum:

Strange that they don't mention the editor at all in the marketing material?

you over interpret here.

before this entire discussion drags on and on, let me fill everybody in on a couple of details. the majority of our engineers is on holiday right now. we've hoped to get things done before the holiday season started but as you can see, we didn't manage. at the same time, we don't want to release a beta version of something as big as the Rig Manager Editor and have no engineers at our disposal. i'm sure you'll understand that. so, when everybody is back, we'll finish things up and you'll get a beta. until then, enjoy the summer, enjoy your guitar. it's the most beautiful time of the year ...

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

admin

MICHAEL WAGENER'S STUDIO 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Wagener
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10217874711046684&set=a.1316999532317&type=3&theater

the VG-99 replacement = Just as a Hex PU and use one Kemper for each string !

aliensporebomb

Wow, that's a dreamland of a room!   Mr. Nordegg I presume?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

aliensporebomb

Looks great.  That would be a sweet unit to have.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

scratch17

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

scratch17

From the Stage spec sheet:

Digital Inputs and Outputs PROFILER Stage

S/PDIF Input/Output 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz (24 bit)
with RCA phone connectors for coax cables
(master or slave)

Woohoo!

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

thebrushwithin

PROFILER Operating System 7.0.0.14828

Audio

fixed: Rig X-Fade Time issue

User Interface

added: integrated effect select screen including effect category, type and preset selection (TYPE & BROWSE)

added: Replace/Store As/Rename menu when storing effects presets

added: display name of effect preset recently loaded

added: power meter for models with internal power amp (PROFILER PowerHead™ and PowerRack™) on page Power Amp of Output Section

added: Input Noise Gate received an additional soft knob in the Input Section and can now be morphed. Consequently, Reamp Sens moved to a new second page.

added: export all effect presets to USB memory stick (folder Shared)

added: function to delete all snapshots at once

added: holding UNDO/REDO withdraws/recovers all edits

added: Performance Up/Down can be assigned to analog switches and corresponds to Performance Load setting

added: assignment of Up and Down buttons of PROFILER Remote can be switched

added: Morph Button can be controlled via MIDI CC# 36

added: <PAGE> can be used to navigate through Slots of Performance similar to left and right buttons of RIG Navigation Cross

changed: MorphPedal to Wah and MorphPedal to Pitch activated by default

changed: soft button label External Storage changed to USB Stick

changed: Wah Pedal and Pitch Pedal follow Morph Pedal controller more tightly, if linked.

changed: global option Group of 5/Single Rig maintained during restart

fixed: accidental Rise Time when triggering Morphing via Rig Buttons

fixed: accidental Transpose value displayed in Rig Settings

fixed: analog switches with Rig Up/Rig Down assigned not switching between KEMPER amp and reference amp in PROFILER Mode.

fixed: accidental locks after returning to Browser Mode, if Rigs were selected in Performance Mode before

fixed: Performance scrolling continues, if Tuner Mode gets activated during scrolling.

fixed: storing Rig previwed via Rig Manager overwriting Rig loaded before

Known Issues

The function "Factory Presets" is still missing.

Morph settings not immediately audible, but require a move of the Morph Pedal.

Beta may not be used for Profiler Stage

admin

I'm updating firmware on my Kemper Toaster + Kemper Remote floor controller

This is the very first time things went smoothly, mostly because prior update attempts I would

Step 1 ) Install the KAOS.BIN firmware update into root directory of a 32GB USB Drive on my PC,

Step 2) With Kemper Powered OFF, Install the USB Drive into rear USB Host post on Kemper Toaster.

Step 3) Power ON the Kemper

^^ Above procedure never worked

Despite reading the official Kemper update procedure in prior manuals , I only recently discovered the proper method is:

Step 2 ) insert the USB drive from Step #1  - WHILE the Kemper is ALREADY POWERED ON!

Step 3 )  Follow the LCD prompts and press the Button above the Kemper LCD to Initiate the Firmware update procedure.

Finally the update procedure works

I also have the Kemer Remote connected to toaster via Ethernet, and its firmware also updated too  - and now the toaster in System settings can adjust the LCD contrast and brightness of the Remote floor controller too. 

thanks to the video below !

whippinpost91850

My Kemper-GR55 family

Gr55 is in a drawer below Kemper Toaster

The Expression pedals, for the Stage, are on a hinged shelf on top of the GR55

Click on pictures for larger view

whippinpost91850

Still haven't figured out how to make pictures larger ???

sixeight

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on December 27, 2019, 12:07:30 PM
Still haven't figured out how to make pictures larger ???

Nice setup. To share full size pictures, copy the direct link from postimage.org and paste it between the image tags: [ img][ /img ]

whippinpost91850

sixeight

Putting two expression pedals on top of the GR55 is actually quite clever. Are there hinges at the back?

whippinpost91850

Some Bigger Pictures

whippinpost91850

Yes the shelf is hinged. I made both pedal boards out of Ultra-light plywood. So the board adds very little weight

I only use the espression and control pedal on the GR55 so it works out well. I'm making a plastic cover for the other GR pedals, so I don't accidently turn on the looper

Each pedal board has a mount for a mic stand pole, so it's pretty self contained

mchad

I must say, the Kemper effects are extraordinary.

thebrushwithin

Acoustic Simulator close to release. Stunning sound!

whippinpost91850

Have to admit . This sounds pretty convincing