Expert EQ in a guitar signal chain?

Started by SuperNiCd-fgn, January 08, 2014, 05:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperNiCd-fgn

I'm wondering if anyone can point me at any resources (preferably in the form of video) about how to make the best use of EQ very specifically in a guitar signal chain.  I know how to use EQ to solve certain problems, and I also understand certain methods like sweeping a very narrow-band, high gain band across the frequency spectrum to "seek" regions of sonic content.  I've become pretty good at using EQ when mixing a track in a DAW to cut out low frequency noise and notch out pieces of the spectrum in one track to allow another some space.

But using EQ with a guitar, just for live use or in a solo capacity is another story.  Somehow, I don't feel like I'm using EQ as effectively as I could be.  The reason I say that is that sometimes, I'll run across a good sounding preset on a software-based amp modeler or guitar FX processor.  I'll turn off the EQ, and the sound deteriorates into garbage.  Turn it back on, and the sound just pops and sounds wonderful.  My EQ is never quite that effective.  So I feel like I must be missing some trick that could be applied to any guitar sounds I design.

Any thoughts?

shawnb-fgn

I'm with you - I think the weak link in my voices is my ear & EQ usage...  That said, I know a few lessons I'll share. 

A video was posted over at VGF lately that helps a bit.   What I know, much of which is reinforced in this video, is:
  • Only use "cheap" EQs to CUT frequencies, not boost frequencies.  And I'd count the the built-in EQ in most hardware gear to be "cheap", even within your GR-55 & VG-99, etc.
  • Boost EQ ranges sparingly.  Boosting EQ ranges is the primary source of "honky", unrealistic sounding voices.  If you must Boost EQ, your Q must be LOW, i.e., the frequency range must be wide.  High-Q, "notched" boosts introduce that honky "wah" sound (that's what a wah is...). 
  • If you need to significantly boost an EQ range, find a higher-end EQ product, usually $$$ involved.
  • The better way to set a general EQ range is thru your pickup selection & your guitar's tone knob; don't try to make a bridge pu sound like warm rhythm or a neck pu sound like a bright solo via EQ...  (Don't try to paint a cow into a horse, or vice-versa...)  This is even true when using a divided pickup to drive a VG-99 and GR-55 COSM model; don't forget that each COSM model provides a pickup selector and a tone knob - use the COSM pickup selection and virtual "tone" knob FIRST before putzing with EQ... 
  • When using modelers, your cabs tame the noise & darken tone from "electronically-processed" sounding to "guitar" sounding.  If your tone is too bright, try configuring your cab & mic before using EQ.  As in the video, move the mic further off-center to darken.  Conversely, you can brighten tone a bit by moving the mic placement towards the center of the cone.
  • Live, I've learned that a lot depends on who else is playing.  If you only have drums & bass, you'll sound MUCH better with a very wide range, e.g., engage neck and bridge pickups - if you don't do so the overall trio sounds tinny & lacking.  On the other hand, if there are other guitarists, you each need to find a way to carve out tone or timbre so you don't step on each other & muddy things up.  E.g., one using the neck pu & the other the bridge pu.  Or, one distorted & one clean.  Or, when we have 3 guitarists, I'll dial in a synth sound!

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

shawnb-fgn

Of course, there's also a TON of videos over on YouTube - look up "guitar eq tips".

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=guitar+eq+tips&sm=3
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp