FTP Enhancement List

Started by shawnb-fgn, May 14, 2013, 08:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb-fgn

I've been working on putting together a rig where I use the FTP bundle exclusively, in order to minimize hardware & software componentry, aiming for a cleaner sound & stability.  Doing so, I've come up with this list of enhancements:
  • App/VST: Performance window, for stage usage.  Specifically LARGE patch/synth names, LARGE tuner and LARGE BPM readout.  I should be able to read the patch names 20 feet away in poor lighting.  Possibly show prior & next patch names in a scrolling style (in a smaller font?), in case you need to scroll/search.
  • App/VST: Tempo management.  The ability to tap tempo, either via the GUI, via the dpad, or by assignment to a foot controller.  The ability to honor MIDI clock & pass it to all downstream gear, both VST and hardware.  The purpose is to synchronize LFOs across all FX, whether they are embedded within VSTs (for guitar FX as well as synths) or in downstream hardware.
  • App: Discreet guitar output.  Ability to route guitar output to a separate pair of stereo audio ports than the VST synth audio output, so guitar & synth can have different downstream amplification/processing.
  • App: MIDI output.  To support hardware synths as well as pass MIDI clock to downstream gear (synths & guitar FX).
  • App/VST: Alternate tunings supported by software configuration.
  • App/VST: Support for running 64-bit VSTs, for instruments and effects.
  • App/VST: Save & share patches and configurations.  If I have two instances of FTP (home studio & road rig), I want to easily move my work from one to the other.  Also this would help your support folks diagnose issues; ask for the patch/config.
  • App: Native iPad/Android support for an FTP app.  This may ultimately be the best way to make building an FTP rig affordable, this increasing reach to a broader demographic.  (Don't do this too soon or I'll be upset I bought my new laptop...)
  • HW: Left handed support, ie., the ability to mount the pickup in the other direction.  I know there is a relatively easy wiring workaround, but I'd rather not have to take out my toolbox to configure my gear.
  • HW: True "factory reset", to truly restore HW and all configs to a known stable config.
  • App: Support for running VST FX for synths as well as guitars.
  • App: Remove the dependency on an audio device to run the app.  If there is no dependency on an audio device, it's easier to run the app parallel to any DAW or other VST host, increasing flexibility in your rig.  AT THE VERY LEAST, improve the message to indicate 'no audio' as opposed to saying it can't find the controller.
  • (5/24 Edit) App: Keep online (VST) user presets separate from offline (hardware mode) presets.

My thinking is this: A laptop running the FTP app alone, supplemented with the user's VSTs of choice, should be able to provide synth processing, guitar processing, FX, MIDI input/output & clock management. 

It will be interesting to see how much of this is addressed in the upcoming update!

In the meanwhile, in another post, germanicus points out that he uses Cantabile to work around some of these limitations.  I wasn't aware this product existed; it looks very helpful:
   https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33240.msg246266#msg246266
   http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/tour/

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

Germanicus-fgn

Yeah im finding Cantabile handles a lot of what I was looking for.

Roland VG99
Pod HD500
JTV69, Variax 600 and 700 Acoustic
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

Elantric-fgn

Good reading for Cantabile users here
Forte OR Cantabile??
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271248

Reports are that while Cantabile includes many features, a similar product "Forte" has a lower CPU overhead and can run more VSTi's
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

shawnb-fgn

I was concerned that was a 4 year old thread...   Looked for something more recent and found this, which looks even worse for Cantabile:   
http://www.brainspawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3758

But even that thread is two years old.  Couldn't find anything really current. 

One of the biggest gaps in functionality between Forte & Cantabile appears to be MIDI xlation, and if nothing else this 2011 thread introduces the Bomes Midi Translator VST:
http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

Elantric-fgn

Its true the old Cantabile reviews might be stale by now

An active Cantabile Forum exists at KVR here
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=136
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

arkieboy-fgn

I played with Cantible and at first blush it seemed fine.  Never delved because I had a Mac and Mainstage.

What I will say about Brainspawn is that if it can cope with what Mark Kelly (Marillion) throws at it, then its a proper product you can trust.  I was impressed with the stress-test capability when a friend demonstrated it

Steve

shawnb-fgn

I added the 13th request above: 13. (5/24 Edit) App: Keep online (VST) user presets separate from offline (hardware mode) presets.

- Fripp

Jay-fgn

Auto power down on Tripleplay after 10 minutes of no use would be a good idea.

Jay

jassy-fgn

There is my own FTP enhancement list based of my experience/preferences:

1. We are already in a 64 bit world, we are pretty much done almost completely the slow  and painful metamorphosis to 64 bit and now, year 2013, comes FTP in 32 bit??? there is jbridge but not the best solution compared to have a real 64 bit host.

2. 4 Synths but not possible to layer it? only in splits? I do layers all the time, so I would like to do in FTP, is there a reason why FTP cant? (edit: well there seems possible to do some layer, but I cant get to sound any of the synth other than the nº 1)

3. Layers by pitch and by velocity, and better let control it graphically, that would permit to make easily great patches of sounds controlling every nuance.

4. Why there are here some functions only accessible via the buttons on the controller? why is not accessible from the software and with the mouse the pitch bend range. (im missing something?).

5. Yes a performance mode would be great.

6. YES an autopower mode would be very welcome.

7. If all the previous "host mode" request would not be done, at least let use it as a comfortable parallel controller of the unit.

Germanicus-fgn

I definitely would NOT want it to autopower down. 10 minutes of non use is no time at all when playing out live. Having it turn off (and subsequently have the host program notice its absence and reassign to another midi port) could be disastrous.

Roland VG99
Pod HD500
JTV69, Variax 600 and 700 Acoustic
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

jassy-fgn

10 minutes is very small, but Im think it was only a start idea, what if it was programable from the software?

Jay-fgn

The Power down of the TriplePlay unit on the guitar after a certain amount of non use should be no problem.  It shouldn't disrupt the whole system.  All you would have to do is flip the switch on the pickup unit to pair up again.