FTP instances in a DAW

Started by Zummooz-fgn, May 06, 2013, 04:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zummooz-fgn

Anyone tried it ....

For some reason I had the impression (before getting it) that you could only have one instance of the FTP at a time, inside a DAW.
NOPE ....  ;D
I've loaded up 2 instances (with 16 midi tracks loaded for each) Synths on each channel in both FTP, and have had a wall of sound at the fingers tips.
Without even plugging in the guitar puppies.

But ... and thats a HUGE BUT .. what I was using synth wise / sound wise, sucked out my 4GB with CPU overload.
May-be time to start looking for a larger more powerful imac. Or may-be .... stop going overboard with things that I do  ;D

BTW ... When using the 2 instances of the FTP app inside Logic.
Instance 1 will be the normal FTP GUI window.
Instance 2 will say (where battery and Midi signals are) ...  'Used in another track' .... and a Blue box next to that, saying .... 'Use Here'

Just have to press the 'Use Here' to use, in that set of tracks with that FTP GUI.
And to use the split page etc.

Probably able to use more instances of the FTP app .... But I just haven't got that much power / grunt, as yet.   :(

Someone else like to try ?

Zummooz
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

shawnb-fgn

I get the 'receiver not found' error message (which is reported in their release notes).  And if I try to edit the synth parameters it says 'controller not found'. 

But, as the release notes point out, it still works, despite these messages.  The one limitation being that since I got the 'controller not found', I couldn't tailor settings for that voice. 

Then again, there's only one controller, so multiple settings can't be in effect at the same time anyway.  This is actually the main reason I stick to one FTP instance now, it's less confusing; it's the one that's telling the FTP what to do.  All the others can just be the straightforward synths, no need for an FTP wrapper.   

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp