First experiences

Started by RobB-fgn, April 28, 2013, 12:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobB-fgn

Hi,
I've had my triple play for a week or so.  I'm generally reasonably pleased with the latency but I seem to be plagued by an annoying glitch, not all the time but often enough to be off putting.  The glitch is the note a semitone below triggering before the main note.  It sounds like a very fast slide or hammer on. 
I'm running the FTP directly into an iPad after downloading the firmware update, setting levels and tuning.  (I initially thought that the glitch might  be caused by being out of tune but it wasn't the case).
I play with a thumbpick and nails.  After a fair bit of experimentation it seems that my nails may be partly, or solely to blame.  I've tried several ways of filing and smoothing, the most successful seems to be filing each nail into a point, rather like the shape of a small plectrum.  But it's still there, it seems less but it's hard to judge.
So, I guess I'm asking if anyone else has had similar trouble or can suggest anything.

Thanks,
Rob

thebrushwithin-fgn

Try turning the sensitivity to it's lowest point, play, keep adjusting until you find that sweet spot. One of the guitars I have it mounted on needs the sensitivity at it's lowest point, because the pickup is so close to the strings. At first, I set it to finger style, and had these glitches you are experiencing, but the sensitivity slider allowed me to fine tune it properly. My problem is that I play "claw hammer" style, with pick and fingers, so it wasn't clear whether to use the pick setting or the finger style setting. You'll find the right combination.

RobB-fgn

Thanks... brush ?  ;) I'll be trying that out as soon as I get home tonight. 
I'm really glad that this sounds like a solvable problem.  If I can just get rid of that glitch I'll be really happy.  Always dreamed of playing piano on the guitar.
I also thought that it might have something to do with pickup clearance as I've got it on an deluxe strat with a compound radius neck.  The curve is quite flat at the bridge so the curve of the pickup causes the strings 3 and 4 to be closer than optimum but strings 1 and 6 are further than the little tool says they should be.
Anyway, you had the same glitch, so I'm optamistic I'll be in piano heaven tonight.

Thanks
Rob

RobB-fgn

Yep, thanks so much for that.  That pretty well cleared it up.  I don't know how I did it but I had the levels set way too high.  I think I just plucked the strings how I thought I would play them instead of actually playing and watching, big difference.  There's still the occasional one, but I'm going to look at adjusting the pickup height a bit as well, I think a bit more tweaking will do it.  Bit of a dream come true, playing piano, sax, violin .......

Thanks again,
Rob

Zummooz-fgn

Quote from:  RobB on April 29, 2013, 06:18:54 AM
Bit of a dream come true, playing piano, sax, violin .......
Plus ....

Being able to walk to the kitchen and make a coffee and still keep playing   ;D
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

thebrushwithin-fgn

You are quite welcome! Sensitivity levels are a common denominator with all guitar to midi systems, and can make or break playability.