JTV69-GK3-HD500 & GR55 - Help??

Started by In10City-fgn, July 11, 2012, 07:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In10City-fgn

I've been playing a Tom Anderson Drop Top thru an HD500, with a Variax 600 as a backup guitar.  I also used the 600 as a main axe for dinner sets (hollow-bodies, acoustics, etc).  I sold both axes this week and picked up a JTV-69.  For kicks, I grabbed a GR-55 as well, and installed the GK3 on the JTV as I've seen a few here mention, and seen some of Germ's videos using the some rig.  Since I'm used to the 600, Drop Top and HD-500; if I'd stopped with the JTV, I would've basically married my previous 2 guitars and their capabilities together and the transition would have been pretty effortless.  The GR, however, makes things a bit more convoluted (and stupidly powerful).

So here are my questions / concerns that I'd like some basic input and feedback on:  For those of you using this setup or something similar, what is your preferred cabling / routing live?  My first inclination was to use only the 13 pin cable and use the guitar out on the GR to feed the HD500.  It seems to miss a nice feature though, in that you lose the ability to control the JTV from the pedal board.   Additionally, as my band gets into the later part of the night at weddings or corporate events, and the music starts getting more current dance influence (and much, much less musical), I prefer to be wireless.  A big part of marketing a band like ours is the crowd interaction so my 3 singers, horn section and I all spend a lot of time out on the floor with the guests.  Obviously, that rules out use of the GR at all on those songs, unless someone has some miracle cure I'm unaware of.   I also toyed with using the Variax cable and 13 pin cable... but that seems like a lot of cable to be tied up to?

As of now, I'm leaning toward using the 13-pin and feeding the HD from the guitar output of the GR as method #1 and using the 1/4" output of the JTV straight into the HD500 (which would obviously require quick removal of the small cable between the GK and 1/4 input of the guitar) during the less intricate material where a basic guitar rig would suffice anyway.  In either case, I'm giving up HD control of Variax, but it's very rare for me to need to change tunings mid-song, or change from acoustic to heavy electric mid song.  In those few instances that I do need fast, drastic tonal changes, I figure I can use the Roland to do the acoustic stuff and the JTV for the Strat or Paul tones (or vice versa, depending on what sounds best).

Sorry to ramble, but I kinda feel like I may be missing something really obvious that I'll kick myself for after getting the rig worked into the show.  We  cover a LOT of material in a wide range of styles and we work 10-15 dates a month, so there's not a lot of time for me to re-work my setup over and over (also have a 'real' job and five kids!).  :)  So, any input that might help me decide the best routing would be much appreciated.

Oh - one thing that might affect your opinion - I run directly into the console which stays on stage (Presonus SL) and is controlled via iPad.  We are all on IEM's, which we mix for ourselves via iPads / iPhones, so I never use an amp.  Everything except acoustic drums is direct and we keep a very controlled stage volume.  So, no need to worry about routing to an amp or anything.  I think I'm even leaning toward submixing the GR and HD before it hits FOH.  I don't think I could ever expect my FOH guy to understand or keep up with what sounds are coming from where.  We run mono FOH, and mono ears, so unless someone here convinces me otherwise, I think I'll submix the two units, send FOH one line, and control the mix between the two myself. 

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to offer. 
Best,
Joe

GuitarBuilder-fgn

Quote from:  In10City on July 11, 2012, 07:29:57 PM
I also toyed with using the Variax cable and 13 pin cable... but that seems like a lot of cable to be tied up to?

That's what I would have done......
2005 Brian Moore iGuitar i81.13 Emerald Green (BM iMs + RMC Piezo)

Elantric-fgn

QuoteThat's what I would have done......

Me Too!
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

Germanicus-fgn

I use the VDI cable to goto the pod hd500, and a 13 pin cable to the gr55. I dont bother feeding any of the Variax models or mag signals to the gr55, i Just use the GK for COSM and synth sounds.

I use zip ties to fasten the VDI and GK cables together, and put them into one of those cable tubes you can get to minimize clutter from computer supply stores. You can forego the plastic tubing and just zip tie the two cables together every 6 inches or so.

I cant really help with wireless integration unfortunately.
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
JTV69, Variax 600 and 700 Acoustic
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com