Incident Technologies gTar

Started by shawn-fgn, June 01, 2012, 02:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn-fgn

I read this article today about the Incident Technologies gTar (I didn't link directly to the manufacturer's site because it seems kinda buggy). From what I can tell, gTar is a combination guitar/MIDI controller that integrates with an iPhone. They're really hyping it as a tool for beginning guitarists. But apparently gTar can be connected via USB to control external sound sources. Could be useful for recording projects. The expected retail price for a new gTar is $450 (iPhone not included, of course). Higher priced than something like the You Rock guitar, in terms of having a guitar-like MIDI-capable instrument. But it's got some potential for expansion down the road thru the iPhone integration, especially if they added some intermediate/advanced teaching tools to the iPhone app.

Elantric-fgn

The biggest hurdle is by the time these products ship, the IPhone 5 will be out, and Apple is deleting the 30 pin interface, moving instead to a micro USB  Client connector, as mandated by new cell phone power supply laws in Europe

==========

http://184.169.154.56/

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/05/21/the-iphone-powered-guitar/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/incident/gtar-the-first-guitar-that-anybody-can-play

http://kck.st/Ksqi2i

http://www.engadget.com/photos/guitar/#5037202

How does it work? Well instead of using pickups to amplify the sound of vibrating strings — the way most guitars work — the gTar users sensors to detect what notes the user is playing in real-time. And it relays this data back to the iPhone.

One of the instrument's most exciting elements is an intuitive feature called SmartPlay. This allows users to play music like a pro, regardless of how experienced they are, as it mutes out incorrectly played notes and helps them through difficult songs.

The free gTar app will include a number of tracks — all of which will be learnable through three levels of difficulty, and a library full of digital sound effects. And Incident says that it plans to add new content to the app on a weekly basis.

As you might have guessed, the gTar won't come cheap. It's expected to retail for close to $500. But, you can score one for just $350 by helping back the project on Kickstarter. It's currently at $17,824 of its $100,000 goal with about 34 days left.

Developers/Hackers

The gTar grew out of a series of hacks and we're very excited to see what the rest of you do to tweak and customize yours. We plan to offer an SDK in the future, so if you're interested in building apps for the gTar, shoot us an e-mail (dev@incidenttech.com). The gTar is also USB-MIDI compliant, so if you're interested in hacking the gTar to create/perform music, we'll be releasing some tutorials and hacks soon!

Specs

Size: 35"L x 13" W x 1.75" D
Connections: USB, 1/4" Line Out, SmartPick
Power: Internal 5000 mAh Li-Ion Battery, Charging via. USB

In the Box

- Padded Backpack Gig Bag
- Guitar Strap
- USB Charger (1A 5V)
- USB Cable
- Two Sets of Replacement Strings
- Three SmartPicks
- Line-out Headphone Adapter
iPhone not included

FAQ

Does the gTar need to be tuned?
Since the gTar is entirely digital, it doesn't care whether the strings are in tune or not. Keeping reasonable tension on the strings will improve the performance and sensitivity of the gTar.

Where does the gTar get power from?
The gTar has an internal battery that lasts between 6 to 8 hours on a full charge.  To both power and charge the gTar, you can use the included USB charger or plug the gTar into any standard USB dock on a computer or charger of equivalent power.

What phones will be supported? Currently we plan to support the iPhone 4/4S. We hope to support other devices in the future.

How do I get the gTar app? The gTar app will be available for free in the App Store before we ship the gTar. It is already been built and approved.

Will this teach me how to play on a "normal" guitar? The strings and fret layout of the gTar has been designed to be virtually identical to that of a traditional guitar, playing it will teach you the same fundamentals that you would need to play on a traditional guitar.

How do Song Selections work? If you've selected any of the reward tiers that offer you a Song Selection, we will work with you to integrate a song of your choosing into the app. Since some things (like licensing restrictions) are out of our hands, we can't guarantee that we'll be able to include your first choice. However, we'll work with you to find something you like and will enjoy playing on the gTar.

Can I integrate the gTar into an existing guitar?
The gTar is a completely redesigned solution that cannot be retrofitted onto a traditional guitar.  If you are a guitar manufacturer that is interested in integrating our technology into your designs, please contact us directly. 

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

shawn-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on June 01, 2012, 02:33:15 PM
The biggest hurdle is by the time these products ship, the IPhone 5 will be out, and Apple is deleting the 30 pin interface, moving instead to a micro USB  Client connector, as mandated by new cell phone power supply laws in Europe
I wonder if they could somehow compensate for that with an adapter? The "tray" that holds the iPhone in place is supposed to be swappable so the gTar itself won't be limited to just the iPhone. I think they're hoping for Android compatibility in the future. Regardless, this is good to know for anyone considering a gTar purchase.

Elantric-fgn

QuoteI wonder if they could somehow compensate for that with an adapter?

At this hour it remains to be seen how backwards compatible the next gen iPhone (due later this year) will be with ANY external gear that used the old 30 pin Dock port.

The preliminary info I have seen indicates Apple is deleting the 30 pin port completely,

Its quite possible they have shoehorned a new multifunction "micro / USB+Thunderbolt port instead.

This path basically renders all existing iphone "sleds" as obsolete by fall 2012.

(i.e. Fostex AR-4i and all similar devices.
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/AR-4i.shtml     

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

GuitarBuilder-fgn

My first question would be about latency, since it appears that the iPhone is generating the sound.  It's not really clear to me if the USB interface can output MIDI note data; for that matter, how will it deal with vibrato, bends, etc?  The frets have gaps in them!
2005 Brian Moore iGuitar i81.13 Emerald Green (BM iMs + RMC Piezo)

shawn-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on June 06, 2012, 09:51:17 AM
At this hour it remains to be seen how backwards compatible the next gen iPhone (due later this year) will be with ANY external gear that used the old 30 pin Dock port.

The preliminary info I have seen indicates Apple is deleting the 30 pin port completely,

Its quite possible they have shoehorned a new multifunction "micro / USB+Thunderbolt port instead.

This path basically renders all existing iphone "sleds" as obsolete by fall 2012.
Guess I'll be holding off on that purchase of a dock for my iPhone 4. Sometimes, it does pay to procrastinate.