External Expression Pedals

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 06:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

I rely on this thread and I wanna pay you back for the favors: here's a report on the Hotone Soul Press.
I use it as an expression pedal. I've taken it out a dozen or more times, hmm, more than 20. So far, works fine. I'm satisfied with it. I applied duck tape over the dial, on the side, that lets you adjust the range of the pot, because it kept changing. Good to have, but also easy to 'lock' with a piece of tape. I'm pleased about that.

I have learned that the switch under the pedal is not easy for me to get used to, but it's a budget pedal that's small, so the tradeoff is worth it. No battery, just one cable, and, if I needed it, I could use it as emergency volume or wah pedal. I'd buy it again, but probably I'd just go with an expression pedal instead of multi-function. Still, that's not the pedal's fault; that's me. The pedal's fine. I'd recommend it.

mooncaine

Quote from: mapperboy on February 08, 2017, 08:25:09 PM
Does anybody have a list of expression pedals which are 100% compatible with the VG-99?
I use a Hotone Soul Press plugged into the CTL Pedal input on the back of my VG-99 with a TRS cable. It works exactly as expected.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Brak(E)man on March 23, 2019, 11:52:26 AM
What about this pedal ?

https://m-audio.com/products/view/ex-p

I use this cheap but good pedal with both the Montreal assembly ctf and boss AD-10
Works fine
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

Is there an alternative to Boss-ev30 for dual expression pedal?
I have big feet and I like the size and weight of fi ev-5
I've looked but can't find one.

- Lydia Lunch

admin

Quote from: cbeattyjr on February 07, 2020, 08:47:42 AM
Dumb question.  What is the advantage of the new Headrush Expression Pedal over a used Missiion Aero SP-HR?  Thanks in advance.

Compare
https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/expression/specific-use-exp/sp-hr/

Longer travel on the Headrush Expression - more precise control IMHO
1/4" jack on the front = tighter spacing on pedal boards

https://www.headrushfx.com/products/expression-pedal
Expression Pedal Features
Stunning military-grade aluminum die-cast housing built to withstand the rigors of the road
Premium griptape surface grabs your foot and prevents slipping
Custom linear 10k ohm potentiometer for ultra-accurate expression
Easily adjustable tension using a standard hex key wrench (included)
1/4" (6.35mm) TRS expression output connects to any HeadRush product equipped with an expression pedal input
Built-in momentary toe switch with 1/4" (6.35mm) TS output for use with any HeadRush product equipped with a toe switch input

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HRExp--headrush-expression-pedal-premium-expression-pedal-with-toe-switch

aliensporebomb

I take it an FV-50L would not work as an expression pedal for the SY-1000?  A local store has one for peanuts and figured that would be a cheap way to go but if not it's not worth the cashola.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Shingles

Quote from: Brak(E)man on September 20, 2019, 12:43:56 AM
I use this cheap but good pedal with both the Montreal assembly ctf and boss AD-10
Works fine

Today, my M-audio expression pedal shattered when I leant on it a little hard. It hasn't had a lot of use.
I have a couple of boss EV5 pedals that can take my whole weight without a problem.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Shingles on January 29, 2021, 12:13:27 PM
Today, my M-audio expression pedal shattered when I leant on it a little hard. It hasn't had a lot of use.
I have a couple of boss EV5 pedals that can take my whole weight without a problem.

Yes , I do have my EV5 since 98 , but I do have at the moment 5 M-audio,
  about the same price as 1 ev5 ), that works fine with all the units +
The red pandas , CTF etc.
And before the pandemic as a backup on the road.
Can't beat that price and they work fine.

- Lydia Lunch

admin

Quote from: aliensporebomb on January 29, 2021, 08:24:17 AM
I take it an FV-50L would not work as an expression pedal for the SY-1000?  A local store has one for peanuts and figured that would be a cheap way to go but if not it's not worth the cashola.

will not work as expression pedal - but works well as stereo volume pedal on SY-1000 audio output

Headless68

Note that the M-Audio expression pedals (which work fine with Roland / Boss gear) are now down to £12.99 inc delivery on Amazon
You cant even get them second hand for that.
Wonder if they are end of line now

admin

couldn't find a comprehensive list for this.

there are lots of different expression pedals out there.

it would be helpful if we could compile a list to see which are usable in certain applications.

Here's what i have gathered so far:

Bespeco VM18L - 20k

Boss FV-500 - 10k linear (expression pot)

Boss EV-5 - 10k linear

Boss EV-7 - 10k linear ("extra range" pot adds up to 50k ohms)

Boss EV-30 - 10k Linear (small footprint - dual EXP pot)

Boss FV-50L - 50k linear

Ernie Ball VP jr. (active) - 25k log

Ernie Ball VP jr. (passive) - 250k log

Korg EXP-2 - 50k linear

Kurzweil CC-1 - 20k linear

Line6 EX-1 - 10k linear

Mission EP-L6 - 10k linear

Moog EP-2 - 50k linear (reducable)

M-Audio EX-P - 10k linear

Pigtronix EP-1 - 20k
Proel Volume Pedal - 100k linear

Roland RV-5 - 10k linear
TC Electronic X1 - 25k log

mooncaine

Quote from: mooncaine on September 19, 2019, 10:49:35 PM
I use a Hotone Soul Press plugged into the CTL Pedal input on the back of my VG-99 with a TRS cable. It works exactly as expected.
Same pedal works well with Red Panda Tensor 2 and Eventide H9. Seems to be made of metal, too.

admin

Elantric

QuoteThe Moogs use a 50K ohm electrical resistance potentiometer with a TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) configuration.

The Zoom FP-01 uses a 100k pot, but it is a RTS configuration, which means if will not work properly or at perhaps at all. If they are recommending Moog then it must be a TRS configuration. Many expression pedals have a switch that allow switching between RTS and TRS, or you could use a TRS to RTS adapter or cable (switch the ring and tip positions on one end of the cable)

http://www.expressionpedals.com/list-of-expression-pedals