Miking the amp

Started by icing777-fgn, September 03, 2009, 04:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icing777-fgn

I have a dumb question, so please forgive me....

What is the schematics of connection when you want to mike the guitar amp when live?
Do both amp and mike go to the mixer, each on a separate channel?
What if you don't have the mixer, how do you do it then?
I looked online, but what I find is where to place the microphone... I need basics first.

Thanks!
Play on, my friend !!!

MCK-fgn

Depends on your amp I suppose. Most older amps do not have a speaker emulated line out so you only have the mike option to capture the sound from the cab and feed it to your mixer / PA etc. Newer amps offer a choice and some may use only the speaker emulated line out direct to mixer / PA route. Some folks would feed the speaker emulated line out direct to mixer / PA but also add the mike as you describe. I have seen people also use multiple mikes, one close in on the speaker and one further out. Even where you put the mike in relation to the actual speaker makes a difference. Closer to the dome at center of speaker vs closer to the side etc. Lots of experimentation ahead...
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

icing777-fgn

Play on, my friend !!!

MCK-fgn

Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

dirtypurple

Normally, the emulated output will cut the connection to the cabinet - it does on mine.
If you've got a friendly recording studio near you, you could give the sound engineer a call and he could tell you which microphones they use and why. Depending on the cab, some even mic up front and rear of cab.
If I were doing it I would have one mic in front of the speaker and then to the mixing desk - so your amp continues to work almost as your personal foldback speaker. If you have the mic too far away from the amp you might start to pick up the other instruments so would depend also on how much space you have to play with when you setup.

notafraid-fgn

I use a Shure SM-57- 7-12" away from the speaker cone, a little off-center.  My old Mesa Mark II has a line out, but that doesn't capture the speaker sound...I could use line out & cabinet both, but I prefer the 'close mic'd' sound.

We'd set another Mic a couple feet back in the studio to capture some 'room sound' for certain sessions.  Others here with engineering experience can splain it better.

MLB-fgn

My suggestion would also be a Shure SM57. Experiment with the distance from the speaker and where it sounds best for your style of playing (ie; highs, low end, etc).

Try to keep the mic several inches from the speaker grille, because you don't also want to pick up too much ambient sound from around you. Ths won't be too much of a problem since the 57 is uni-directional and the sound coming from your amp will be much louder than the surround sound.

Use your amp as a monitor and find a suitable volume level from it so you can hear yourself. The board you run your mic to will be used to regulate the overall sound of the band, assuming all of you wil also be mic'd. This way your sound guy can raise and lower the performers volumes to do a pro mix while you guys are performing. When leads are played, the sound guy can bump that sound and lower it back into the mix after the lead.

Of course, if you're just looking to run your mono amp out to the board and get it thru the mains for some slight change in sound, then all of the above may or may not apply.  ;D
Family, peanut butter pie, baseball, & music !

DF400-fgn

I also use an SM-57, a long time industry standard for mic'ing guitar amps. I place it off center and right on the grill cloth. Note that the closer you get to the center of the cone, the more high frequencies - which can be brash. I guess that it goes without say that you would never connect an amp speaker output to a mixer (unless it has line level or instrument level outputs). And, although my AxeFx has balanced outputs for a mixer, I prefer to go through a power amp, into a speaker cabinet, then mic the cabinet. A pain, but I get a great sound. Bottom line, you will put some time in experimenting with your sound and what sounds good to you.

However, for my money - a SM-57 is an essential piece of kit.