Hold function. Are there any alternatives to the FC1?

Started by Ollii, September 30, 2021, 02:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollii

Hi. I am currently going with a TriplePlay directly into a moddevice Dwarf. However, I would like to have a hold function. Is there any other way to implement a hold function besides the clunky FC-1? Preferably smaller (and cheaper) :-).

paganskins

Quote from: Ollii on September 30, 2021, 02:31:11 AM
Hi. I am currently going with a TriplePlay directly into a moddevice Dwarf. However, I would like to have a hold function. Is there any other way to implement a hold function besides the clunky FC-1? Preferably smaller (and cheaper) :-).

I've been wondering the same and been meaning to experiment with my triple play connect and mod dwarf but haven't had a chance to do so yet.

The manual says:

QuoteProgrammable Foot Switches
Each of the three foot switches will execute a MIDI command that can be customized using the FC-1 Utility found in the TriplePlay Application software. Corresponding Soft labels in the display will update to reflect the chosen MIDI command.
Patch – This programmable foot switch defaults to MIDI CC68 which is used to decrement Triple- Play Hardware Patches.
Patch + This programmable foot switch defaults to CC67 which is used to increment TriplePlay Hardware Patches.
Hold This programmable foot switch defaults to CC66 which is used to trigger the assignable hold feature within each Hardware Patch.

So midi plumbed back out to the triple play from the mod should perform the above commands, the Mindi plugin looks to be the tool for the job https://pedalboards.moddevices.com/plugins/aHR0cDovL3NzajcxLmdpdGh1Yi5pby9pbmZhbW91c1BsdWdpbnMvcGx1Z3MuaHRtbCNtaW5kaQ==

And it looks like momentary foot switch is now an option with the various mod devices:

I'll keep an eye on this discussion and report back if I get a chance to experiment before you do.

Ollii

Sounds interesting. However, I use the Dwarf in combination with the Mindi to switch through all the necessary sounds of the connected HX Stomp per song with screenshot in the correct order. In this mode I can't use any button of the Dwarf for a hold function. So it would have to be an external solution, so to speak.

paganskins

Quote from: Ollii on October 01, 2021, 05:13:02 AM
Sounds interesting. However, I use the Dwarf in combination with the Mindi to switch through all the necessary sounds of the connected HX Stomp per song with screenshot in the correct order. In this mode I can't use any button of the Dwarf for a hold function. So it would have to be an external solution, so to speak.

Have a look at the Morningstar midi foot controllers, the seem to be best in class for this type of thing.

kimyo

the logidy umi-3 is working well for me. 

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4153.0

i replaced one of the switches with a jack so that i can use a 'real' hold pedal.

one note, the soldering inside was pretty poor on my unit, the wires weren't inserted through the holes on the board and a couple worked their way loose as i was messing around.  it's solid otherwise and now that i've corrected that issue i don't expect any further problems.