Headrush MX-5

Started by admin, August 17, 2021, 11:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

www.premierguitar.com/amp/headrush-mx5-2654686600

HeadRush, the recognized innovator of next-generation guitar products, today announced the immediate availability of their newest amp modeling and guitar FX processor, the MX5. With powerful tone- generating technology at its core and a 4" high-resolution color touch display, MX5 delivers a huge range of classic vintage, modern, and exclusive boutique amp models and FX, as well as the ability to load a virtually unlimited number of custom impulse response (IR) files. MX5 also features a looper with save and load functionality, studio-quality USB audio interface for streamlined recording and reamping, and a built-in expression pedal with an intuitive hands-free editing mode.
The heart of the new HeadRush MX5 is the 4-inch touch display, enabling guitarists to touch, swipe, and drag-and-drop to create and edit their tones in a super-fast and intuitive way. The large display gives ultra-clear feedback when performing live; especially when using the built-in looper or making changes to your tone using 'Hands-Free Mode' with the built-in expression pedal.

​Whether guitarists are looking for a classic vintage amp sound, wide ambient stereo delay textures with synth overtones and infinite feedback, or the heaviest of heavy hi-gain tones, the HeadRush MX5 covers it all. The MX5 provides an incredibly diverse library of 50 guitar and bass amplifier models, 15 speaker cabinet models with 10 microphone emulations, 300 impulse responses, and 66 premium FX models. These are flawless simulations of the most sought-after vintage and modern gear with unrivaled accuracy and authentic dynamic response. The HeadRush library will continue to be expanded with regular feature updates that add new models and features based on user requests and feedback.

Built with the full power of HeadRush's flagship products, MX5 gives guitarists a huge amount of flexibility to sculpt their dream tones. Players can easily create dream rigs comprising 9 individual FX along with 2 amp models and 2 cab models in a single preset. Additionally, the MX5 also features gapless preset switching with reverb and delay tail spillover, so guitarists can switch between clean and lead tones without any dropouts in sound during their performance.

The MX5's durable and compact design boasts 3 footswitches equipped with individual RGB LEDs, an expression pedal (with adjustable tension and built-in toe switch), and a generous offering of inputs and outputs on the rear panel. This includes a 1/4" guitar input, a stereo pair of 1/4" balanced outputs, 1/8" aux input, 1/8" headphone output, MIDI I/O, and a 1/4" stereo FX loop. The stereo FX loop can be used for integrating external FX pedals and placing them anywhere in the MX5's signal chain, as well as enabling MX5 to connect to traditional guitar and bass amplifiers via the four-cable method. There is also a USB port, which canbe used to record or reamp at studio quality (up to 24-bit 96kHz), transfer presets and loops, and easily upgrade the MX5's feature when new feature updates are released by HeadRush.

Features
Multi-core processor with powerful modeling and fx technology
High-resolution 4" touch display with guitarist-centric interface
Versatile library of realistic & responsive amplifier, cabinet, mic and FX models
Load virtually unlimited custom impulse response (IR) files
Gapless preset switching with reverb/delay tail spillover
Hands-free edit mode for quick on-the-fly live editing
Premium Looper with save and load features
Built-in expression pedal with adjustable tension and toe-switch
Stereo FX loop for connecting external FX or 4-cable connectivity with guitar/bass amps
Built-in studio-quality USB audio interface for recording and reamping.
The HeadRush MX5 is available now and retails at $399.

https://www.headrushfx.com/products/mx5

Kevin M

Looks like a great price point.

mchad

Kevin M

Looks like mono send/return.

admin

Its TRS Stereo FX Loop in press tress release

Here's the manual
https://cdn.inmusicbrands.com/HeadRush/mx5/MX5_User_Guide_v1.2.pdf

FX-Loop Stereo: These settings determine whether the incoming and outgoing signal in the effects loop is
stereo or mono. Tap Send to enable or disable the stereo signal for the Send Outputs. Tap Return to
enable or disable the stereo signal for the Return Inputs.

Kevin M

Quote from: admin on August 18, 2021, 01:53:56 AM
Its TRS Stereo FX Loop in press tress release

Here's the manual
https://cdn.inmusicbrands.com/HeadRush/mx5/MX5_User_Guide_v1.2.pdf

FX-Loop Stereo: These settings determine whether the incoming and outgoing signal in the effects loop is
stereo or mono. Tap Send to enable or disable the stereo signal for the Send Outputs. Tap Return to
enable or disable the stereo signal for the Return Inputs.

Thanks for the info....Sweetwater's details make it seem like it's mono.  Glad that's not the case.  This thing looks very tempting.

Chumly

Is the onboard looper anything like the HeadRush Looperboard, or is the onboard looper pretty much the equivalent of comparable units such as the Line 6 HX Stomp or Helix Floor?
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

admin

admin

Quote from: Kevin M on August 18, 2021, 04:02:12 AM
Thanks for the info....Sweetwater's details make it seem like it's mono.  Glad that's not the case.  This thing looks very tempting.

Sweetwater is notorious for wrong information in their product specifications

They used to claim TriplePlay could become a wireless for your normal guitar pickups

Chumly

Quote from: admin on August 18, 2021, 11:24:30 AM
Rtm
Yes that is a solution, however I would have to read the MX-5, Looperboard and Line 6 manuals to make a point by point comparison, and I don't have the motivation for that level of in-depth analysis, given at some point someone will have done similarly as a matter of course, plus I do not have any plans to buy the MX-5.  I asked more out of idle curiosity, rather than any dire need to know, as I'm in the living room awaiting a few contractors to provide HVAC quotes and doodling on guitar. Not much in the way of clear and present gigs in my area either.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

admin

Quote from: Chumly on August 18, 2021, 10:42:59 AM
Is the onboard looper anything like the HeadRush Looperboard, or is the onboard looper pretty much the equivalent of comparable units such as the Line 6 HX Stomp or Helix Floor?

Its not looperboard, MX-5 Looper appears  same as Gigboard. And Headrush large pedalboard

hsuru4u

still the headrush looper is far better then the typical line6 ones. I am wondering if the mx5 vs the nux mg30 is a good debate? Tone wise and effects wise.They seem close in .in/outs and form.
The pedal guy mentioned the mg30 has 2 processors and the mx5 has 4? So to him the mx5 has the advantage. But for me i am bummed in like 5 yrs that headrush has not updated the amps/effects and put them in this unit. WHY NOT?  Headrush has always to me lived on the laurels of the 11r for amps and effetcs and really has not updated thier units enough in all these years. The mx5 gui looks good and looper is great

Maybe an admin here will get both to compare?

hsuru4u

admin

Quote from: hsuru4u on August 19, 2021, 12:00:36 PM
still the headrush looper is far better then the typical line6 ones. I am wondering if the mx5 vs the nux mg30 is a good debate? Tone wise and effects wise.They seem close in .in/outs and form.
The pedal guy mentioned the mg30 has 2 processors and the mx5 has 4? So to him the mx5 has the advantage. But for me i am bummed in like 5 yrs that headrush has not updated the amps/effects and put them in this unit. WHY NOT?  Headrush has always to me lived on the laurels of the 11r for amps and effetcs and really has not updated thier units enough in all these years. The mx5 gui looks good and looper is great

Maybe an admin here will get both to compare?

Headrush has added effects via firmware updates
Review
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24594.msg178410#msg178410

hsuru4u

I am trying to decide between the nux mg-30 and the mx5. very similar in form but chips are diff of course and i imagine tones as well...any advice?

admin

Quote from: hsuru4u on August 22, 2021, 10:02:29 AM
I am trying to decide between the nux mg-30 and the mx5. very similar in form but chips are diff of course and i imagine tones as well...any advice?

Read reviews
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/nux-mg-30-versatile-modeler.2202869/page-20#post-33108439

hsuru4u

thanx...decided togo with the mx5..its just got too much bang for the buck in it. I wish it had new tones vs the original pedalboard but i see why they did it the way they did. THe looper is killer..tones are vg good even if lacking quantity vs higher end modelers

admin

MX5 benefits with its Stereo FX Loop,

Would not be surprised if Gigboard is already ceased production , as MX5 fulfills same duty, at lower cost and smaller form factor

hsuru4u

is the fractal fm9 worth getting over the mx5 at 4-5x the cost? I mean i sold my gt-1 a while ago to replace and am looking at those 2 but they are worlds apart in price but my needs are small: headphone playing/4cm sometimes into my tube amp-no gigs..Didnt care for the form factor of the fm3 and the fm9 is like 1620 shipped  vs  350 from gc for the mx5...

sixeight

Quote from: hsuru4u on September 17, 2021, 01:09:29 PM
is the fractal fm9 worth getting over the mx5 at 4-5x the cost? I mean i sold my gt-1 a while ago to replace and am looking at those 2 but they are worlds apart in price but my needs are small: headphone playing/4cm sometimes into my tube amp-no gigs..Didnt care for the form factor of the fm3 and the fm9 is like 1620 shipped  vs  350 from gc for the mx5...

There are two factors to consider:
1. You get what you pay for.
2. There is the world of diminishing returns. Meaning the extra features of the FM9 come at a high cost.

Only you can determine if the extra features are worth paying much more.

hsuru4u

Quote from: sixeight on September 18, 2021, 12:50:43 AM
There are two factors to consider:
1. You get what you pay for.
2. There is the world of diminishing returns. Meaning the extra features of the FM9 come at a high cost.

Only you can determine if the extra features are worth paying much more.

with the mx5 i think- you deff get MORE THEN YOU PAY FOR. Its not as many amps and effects or control maybe but what it does have is useable and of enough variety- the looper is outstanding and the headphone out sounds killer: the stereo effects loop is a plus for me to use my cdr70 with.  SURE the fm9 is way ahead in amount it can do but 1600+ is hrder to part with the 350 for my needs and my use i guess. Like the gt-1 i had i am not worried about resale when the next thing i want comes out either whereas with a 1600 investment it would matter more to me.

sixeight

Congratulations. Looks like you found the right modeler for you.

hsuru4u

yes its pretty decent for the price and what it offers. I was gonna get the fm9 by fractal and had money ready but my needs are very small now and no gigging so while i would prefer a larger board for estetics to me the headrush full board is overpriced for what it is and the fm9 is a fair price but still overkill for my needs. I looked for a used full size headrush but they are still 2x the new mx5 price for a used one and the guts/brain are the same in both so it was a no brainer to get the mx5 plus no worries about resale at $350 for what it does..the looper alone is worth that.

hsuru4u

anyone know if there is a company that makes a pedal extension for smaller pedals like the mx5 one?

Alathea_Squared

Quote from: admin on September 13, 2021, 10:14:18 AM
MX5 benefits with its Stereo FX Loop,

Would not be surprised if Gigboard is already ceased production, as MX5 fulfills same duty, at a lower cost and smaller form factor
Ironically, I had a gig board on my couch the other day that I hadn't opened yet because that night I got it I received an email from the site where I purchased it saying they had just received some MX5 units. I went back and forth with my salesperson a little bit and did some serious YouTubing/forum digging, and pretty much came to the same conclusion- that its a smaller form factor version of the GB that cost 300 more. Still, that extra footswitch and larger screen might do it for some people that already have things on a board, a la an HX Stomp or similar, and already have a favorite food pedal. I think the two units can occupy the same space as different use-cases.
"'Cause no matter where you go, there you are."