GR-50 LCD Display Replacement

Started by hunim, August 01, 2021, 06:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunim

I am happy that I found a practical place where information about GR-50 is shared.

Recently the LCD display of my GR-50 went extremely dim and had to use a bright flashlight to view the characters.

I found a compatible LCD display and it was Surenoo SLC1602E1. The Voltage+ and Ground terminals are reversed
with respect to the original Sanyo LCD of GR-50. Either the power wires are reversed or two jumpers on SLC1602E1
should be changed.

A description of the LCD display.
https://www.icbanq.com/icdownload/data/ICBShop/Board/202101/7d26651e88774a498d09f6ae51636fa9.pdf

It is recommended to read the GR-50 Service Manual.

Once you have set up the jumpers, then get a 14pin IDC cable and clamp a 14pin PCB connector on the 14p cable.

The position of the bolt holes on the chassis do not match with that of the LCD and you need double side tape
to attach the LCD on the chassis.

To remove the protection glass a hair drier (Better a heat gun) and a paper cutter knife is necessary.
Heat up the old LCD assembly and carefully use a knife to cut the glue layer between the display and the glass panel.
Be careful not to damage the black coating on the glass.

I bought two OLED Display screens which should be compatible. But they were not reliable and they would halt
or show strange characters and I said good by to two OLED displays.(in total 40USD).

The LCD display (16x2) is around 4USD.

After the LCD replacement, it is much easier to read and to use.

gumbo

Welcome !

...and well done..thanks for sharing your experience.  :)

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...