Zoom B1On Sysex

Started by shooking_sybase, July 31, 2021, 03:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shooking_sybase

Hi there
I have a few Zoom pedals (B1XFour, G1XFour - imagine my surprise to find they are essentially capable of doing same thing!) and B1On.

I have posted a GitHub with references and collated sysex for these:
https://github.com/shooking/ZoomPedalFun

The wiki part is here:
https://github.com/shooking/ZoomPedalFun/wiki/De-re-B1On

basically this is an appeal for info from other Zoom users - if you have found interesting Sysex sentences and want to share them please add info here and I will put it on the Wiki.

On the B1XFour side I worked with Mungewell to discover some additional sysex. That pedal is reasonable complete.
With the B1On I am stuck with using Sysex to set the FX,

I can turn FX on/off (same strings as mentioned by SixEight on this forum and others)
I can set a slot to Bypass.

On a B1X the FX has both an ID and Group ID. On that pedal this is discoverable and settable (see YouTube videos links off the GitHub above)
But for the B1On I can only set the ID ... I dont seem able to set the Group ID.
This leads to "Missing" FX - something I used to get on B1X until we discovered how to set both params.

Any help gratefully appreciated and I try to give credit on Wiki etc.

Best regards
shooking

sixeight

shooking_sybase

Thanks all. So I also chanced across the Device Manager 1.1.1 - I will update my wiki since that program seems to work fine with my 1.30 firmware B1On and I spent quite a bit of the night jamming with the space reverbs :-)

I have got really far with the B1XFOUR/G1XFour.

So using Mungwell's code as a base it is possible to interrogate those pedals to get current state including FXID and GID.
I also pulled out the bitmap images and FX parameters (display),max and default values.

Mungwell's code allows more ZD2 FX to be injected and then we can get the catalog and a full JSON description of the state.

I haven't worked out the catalog of B1On.
It seems most programs are extracting ZDL files and injecting them into firmware file then uploading. However the FXID and GID are not apparent.

Looking at Sixeight's doc (nice work by the way). This string sets the FXID but not the GID.

F0 52 00 65 31 00 01 XX YY F7
On a B1On this sets 2*XX + 1, YY in the unpacked patch.
In others words YY*256 + 2*XX + 1 == FXID

But I haven't worked out how to set the Group ID.

If you check out my wiki you can see Mungwell and I can set the FXID, GID for slot M based on current state of the B1XFOUR.

It is clear Tonelib isn't properly understanding the catalog else it would be able to know about injected FX. Don't get me wrong - Tonelib is fantastic - I would be more than willing to contribute how to get real state of pedal for B1XFOUR variants and maybe we can work it out for the other pedals.

I have decent decoder for the B1ON patch format. Just deriving the FX catalog and how to inject the GID is PITA.

Sorry to rant on - if anyone wants to deep dive via PM I would appreciate some brainstorming. I want to get as deeply into B1 as I have on the B1XFOUR.

Best regards
Shooking