Boss GP-10 with Boss Tone Studio - CTL and Other Controller Settings Wrong

Started by seriousfun, April 11, 2021, 11:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seriousfun

I have a new-to-me GP-10. It works as expected on its own - I can program patches that work well. I installed the Harman Air, GP-10 Windows 10 driver and BTS software, the unit is recognized, I can backup, import, export, create livesets, etc.

None of the stock patches worked as expected. Control assignments (no Assigns being used, no System settings changed) would control something other than what was assigned. If, for example, FX was assigned to CTL1 Patch Func (System Func was assigned to PATCH SETTING), it switches on and off EQ; if a CTL or EXP was assigned to Chorus, it would switch the EQ. This is always (I think) the next thing on the dropdown list when assigning Patch Func in BTS.

If I create the patch on the GP-10 with CTL1 Patch Func assigned to FX, it works fine on the device. If I connect it via USB to the computer and start BTS, that patch shows up in BTS with, AMP SOLO SW on the CTL1 Patch Func but on the GP-10 the CTL1 switch still activates FX. If I create the patch on BTS and write it to the GP-10, I have to disconnect, re-assign those patches, and it works fine. I have uninstalled the driver and software, performed a factory reset, and re-imported the factory patches (or my own test patches) (twice) and the behavior continues.

Is this common?

I can't find any mention of this problem on this forum or the (sparse) Roland FAQ, has anyone else run into this?

Starting the GP-10 while holding <write> shows ver 0.21. Is this common, or is there a newer firmware (I know Roland will probably never officially update the GP-10 firmware, but there may have been variations when it was new).

This is my first question to this forum, but I've been lurking for a while, and as you can see in my signature, I've been using Roland MIDI and guitar synth products for a looooong time. Thanks in advance for any help.
Roland GP-16 with FC-100 MKII, EV-5 and FS-6, Roland GI-20, Roland GK-2A, Roland GR-09 (dead), Roland GR-55, Roland VG-88 (on loan to me), Yamaha MFC-1, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 Extreme with Switch 6, Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2, SQuest MIDIQuest

admin

seriousfun

Thanks, I just downloaded Gumtown's GP-10 editor (and many thanks to Gumtown for the GR-55 editor). I'll try it later. BTS seems like a great solution, but I'd like to know if anyone else has run into this problem, and if there is a fix.
Roland GP-16 with FC-100 MKII, EV-5 and FS-6, Roland GI-20, Roland GK-2A, Roland GR-09 (dead), Roland GR-55, Roland VG-88 (on loan to me), Yamaha MFC-1, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 Extreme with Switch 6, Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2, SQuest MIDIQuest

seriousfun

Gumtown's GP-10 Edit has the same issue (works great, otherwise).

Something with the GP-10 itself, or the Windows driver?

admin

Quote from: seriousfun on April 11, 2021, 12:35:25 PM
Gumtown's GP-10 Edit has the same issue (works great, otherwise).

Something with the GP-10 itself, or the Windows driver?

Backup, then perform GP-10 reset

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204865855-GP-10-Factory-Reset-Initialization-

following steps can be used to reset and reload the factory settings in the GP-10.

CAUTION: All user information will be lost when performing a factory reset. Be sure to backup any information, patches, or custom system settings to wish to keep.

1. Turn on the GP-10's power.

2. Press the SYSTEM button repeatedly until "Factory Reset" appears in the display.

3. Press and release the WRITE button. "ARE YOU SURE ? "  appears.

4. Press WRITE again. "Factory Reset Now executing" appears for about 5 seconds, and then the main screen appears. The reset is complete.

seriousfun

I've done a full backup and reset twice. The problem persists with both apps.

Brak(E)man

Are you saving the patches from bts or on the unit?
That has been an issue.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

seriousfun

Thanks. I can create a patch on the unit and it works and saves fine. When I create or edit a patch on BTS it needs to have CTL and EXP assignments shifted by one on the dropdown list to work as intended (once I fix it and save it on the unit, the patch works).

Brak(E)man

Quote from: seriousfun on April 11, 2021, 02:20:51 PM
Thanks. I can create a patch on the unit and it works and saves fine. When I create or edit a patch on BTS it needs to have CTL and EXP assignments shifted by one on the dropdown list to work as intended (once I fix it and save it on the unit, the patch works).

So if I understand you correctly.
If you create the patch on bts but saving it with the write button on the GP-10 ( not with the write in bts ),
are the ctl and exp assigns off ?

- Lydia Lunch

seriousfun

Quote from: Brak(E)man on April 11, 2021, 03:14:30 PM
So if I understand you correctly.
If you create the patch on bts but saving it with the write button on the GP-10 ( not with the write in bts ),
are the ctl and exp assigns off ?

Yes, but I have to create the patch on BTS  with the CTL and EXP assigns showing the function above the one I actually want - If I choose FX for CTL1 Patch Func, CTL1 pedal turns EQ on or off, etc. (I have to choose AMP SOLO SW for it to switch FX on or off). If I then save it on the GP-10, it will switch the correct things and show them in the EFFECTS menu on the device.

I could post some screenshots or video...

Brak(E)man

If I understand this correctly
The GP-10 is working fine.
But the editors are showing the wrong assigns? ( one step off )
So when you save from bts the assigns are off , but edit and saving assigns on the unit works fine?
If that's correct I'd expect it to be a PC midi sysex related problem.

I'm no expert on either PC or sysex.
There's a thread about the bts bugs worth reviewing

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17889.0

But since it's also happening in floorboard then it's a more general issue.

- Lydia Lunch

seriousfun

Quote from: Brak(E)man on April 12, 2021, 04:15:21 AM
There's a thread about the bts bugs worth reviewing

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17889.0

But since it's also happening in floorboard then it's a more general issue.

Thanks. Similar, but not identical. Some of their workarounds might help me. I see that problems like this persist across Mac OS and Win 7-10. I actually will try it on a different PC.

My workaround, to make the preset on the computer and then fix and save it on the device, is cumbersome but it works.

I do have a support ticket with Roland US.

seriousfun

You can see that CTL1 on BTS is set to AMP SOLO SW, but the GP-10 CTL1 pedal switches FX on and off (my intended outcome)

CTL2 shows Chorus but switches Delay, CTL3 shows Delay but switches Rev, CTL4 shows Wah but switches CHO. The device shows proper routing, but any patch built or imported to BTS is off. EXPSW shows EQ but switches WAH.

I backed up, reset, remade the patches, uninstalled and reinstalled the GP-10 driver and BTS, tried a new USB cable...same outcome with BTS and Gumtown's wonderful editor.

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

seriousfun

gumtown

The pictures you posted are not showing, if you could let me know which controls are affected (just CTL 1 & 2 or more?), I can fix the GP-10-Edit.
What item is missing or extra that is offsetting the names list. Cheers
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

seriousfun

Thanks.

It seems to be every CTL and EXP switch. Program it in (or write from) your editor or BTS, and the physical switch changes the next item down the list, and writing it to the unit from an app writes it wrong. I can fix it on the unit and it sticks.  I haven't tried other assignments such as Assigns.

This stays the same on multiple computers after multiple resets. Roland support actually got back to me with a possible solution - stay tuned!

gumtown

I don't have a GP-10 any more to test this, and your information is not enough to make programming changes, is it the same between the SYSTEM pedal functions and PATCH pedal functions?
Since no one can see your posted pictures, I don't really have a clue.
Does it include all the GK functions, Assigns, Exp pedal functions ?
If there is a missing or extra parameter to offset everything by 1, then what is different in the options list between the editor and  the GP-10?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

seriousfun

I think I fixed the pics.

Yes, the problem is the same on System Func and EXP switch and off-on (not sure about ASSIGNS yet).

Since this problem is the same on your editor and BTS, it's probably not your problem!

I'll wait to hear from RolandUS about this, they seemed favorable to a good solution.

Thanks again for your apps and help here.

admin

Quote from: seriousfun on April 13, 2021, 10:33:14 PM
I think I fixed the pics.

Yes, the problem is the same on System Func and EXP switch and off-on (not sure about ASSIGNS yet).

I'll wait to hear from RolandUS about this, they seemed favorable to a good solution.

Thanks again for your apps and help here.

Since it's a Boss Product, might have better results contacting Boss US customer support.
https://www.boss.info/us/support/
They split Boss Guitar products  apart from Roland in 2014

admin

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

slooky

just curious but are you touching the system button? I hit the system button before and I was getting all kinds of weird things going on.

glennguitarcarr

Curious. Only thing I can think of - are you running latest BTS Ver.1.1.1?

gumtown

Can someone confirm the current firmware revision, I know Boss have not done any firmware updates on the GP-10,
but as per the OP's first post, his GP-10 has firmware 0.21 which seems quite a small number for a production model.

QuoteStarting the GP-10 while holding <write> shows ver 0.21. Is this common, or is there a newer firmware (I know Roland will probably never officially update the GP-10 firmware, but there may have been variations when it was new).