Loupe' by Glou Glou

Started by aliensporebomb, March 24, 2021, 07:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

Imagine a Echoplex Digital Pro in a stompbox form factor with stereo. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

thebrushwithin

kevorkian

This looks amazing but according to the company on Facebook there is no MIDI Clock in or out which seems like a major drawback.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: kevorkian on April 02, 2021, 01:48:50 PM
This looks amazing but according to the company on Facebook there is no MIDI Clock in or out which seems like a major drawback.

They posted a response to the concern at the Looper's Delight facebook page:

Hi, Liveloopers !
I see a lot of frustration about the lack of midi in Loupé.
I do understand, and was prepared to this.
This is a choice i made that i'll explain further.
But first let me introduce who i am.
I've been a pro musician/producer for 20 years, playing mostly in funk bands, releasing electro-jazz albums under the name "booster", and doing live looping under the name "booster echoplex project". i'm a looper fan since my first boss 1s digital delay, i owned lexicon Jamman, then electrix repeater and finally EDP wich was hard to find in france.
I falled in love with this machine like most of you.
I used to have 5 units, playing in sync and i created a custom 30 footswitch controller to manage them. I think i went deep with this machine.
Ten years ago i started to learn electronics by myself grabing infos on internet, and five years ago i started to make and sell my own stuff under the name "glou-glou".
This is a single guy company, i do everything.
I don't want to make you cry, but i live and work in 30 square meter with my daughter, and i manage to pay me 1000-1500€/month.
I propose expensive machines but this is not a big buisness, selling about 100 units/year.
Why this foreword? because it is important that you know who you are talking to.
This is a mistake we all make when talking through the internet, it's not real communication as we don't know who we're talking to.
I've been hurted by words posted here but that's all right, i forgive you.
Creating things is a complex process where the final parameters are time and money (wich is the same finally).
So please don't compare glou-glou to Boss wich has dozen of ingeneers and factories to work on their products. Don't even compare me to Chase Bliss wich is x20 bigger than me.
I started to work on Loupé two years ago because i met a brilliant and passionate coder that accepted to work on the project for very little money. And even with this, the investment for R&D was hard to handlefor glou-glou. But we made it with blood sweat and tears.
I see Gary Hall is here, and i wanna thank him because we started to proto on a 4MS DLD wich he worked on.
Being the director of a single guy company is schyzophrenic.
Like in other company, there is discussions between the creators, the engineers, and the financial director, except that i am all these guys!
So hundred maybe thousands of choices are made, with the time/money parameter in head. (the midi purpose is close)
But believe me, the musician in me is frustrated too. I'd love to have midi on loupé, and i'd love to have also 4 parallel tracks, and loop saving and why not 10 more footswitches.
There is also dozens ideas i had, we decided not to do.

How can you guys can think that the Midi omission was unconscious? that's were it is hurting.

Now let's go to the tech reasons of no-midi.
Midi command is easy to do, we could have done it, the real challenge is having Loupé sync as a slave.
Having the audio slaved to a drifting/jittering clock (different from the audio clock) means periodically omitting or adding audio frame to your data.
This induce 1/degradation of the audio 2/more complexity when coming to functions like EDP functions. Even more complexity with the ReadFX part of Loupé.
It can be done, and the DLD is a work of art for this, proposing 5 different ways to do it. Every solution is a compromise and none of them are perfect. with EDP and FB<100% audio is free wheel and de-synchronized.

Being aware of that, i made this choice of no midi as i didn't want to propose a bad midi clock syncing like i saw many companies doing it. I remember when boss released the RC-50, they claimed midi sync, the midi port was there, but it was simply not implemented! that is scandalous to me.
So, let me sell 500 units of Loupé, and i'll be back with a fully midi implemented Loupé II.

I hope this closes the discussion because, in the meantime there are a lot of new things that should interest you in Loupé, (Andre LaFosse will be the perfect guy to explain this all to you guys) and some of you seems to focus on some omissions rather than additions.
that's human we feel more secure with the things we already know.

I just give you one:
Undo in loupé is not the unfinished Undo of EDP , i mean our Undo will undo all functions not just overdub and replace. That was something really challenging that took a lot of time, hope you'll apreciate it.
And the beloved loop-windowing/undo EDP's function is Sroll in loupé, like the EDP's undo but controlled with an encoder, allowing to go back and forth in the memory. That's real fun.

Sorry for the long post and the probably bad english, but that was needed to be clear.

I want to try their device.  I always wanted an EDP but having a STEREO (huge for me) EDP in a stompbox even sans MIDI I'll go for it since I almost never use MIDI onstage (I did ONCE when I used two loopers at once for a special show). 

admin

Shingles

No MIDI sync so I'm not buying.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

Gearhead

I got my Loupé last week and I love it. Very deep but since I owned an EDP in the past I know many features but this thing is even deeper and I don't need MIDI on that one. I also have a Beebo - so MIDI is taken care of with that thingy. Great time for loopers...

rcf1956

I could live without midi clock sync. What puzzles me about the 'no midi' design choice is that the Loupe is clearly made for post loop tweaking, and for that I need it on a stand or a desk, a la Eivind Aarset. I would then need to be able to use midi foot pedals for controlling the looping aspect of the damn thing. Having it on the floor while I tweak my nicely recorded loops is going to be no damn good for my comfort or my back... and having it on a stand means I can't do hands free loop recording.

BROCKSTAR

So I pulled the trigger on one that someone had on reverb for $800. I got it for $550 instead and shipping / tax etc...

I'm excited but a little nervous on how I'm going to use it. I'm going to try to put it on floor first and see if I can use all the functions with my toes (not shoes)... which is the ideal way to do it probably, but if not I'll put it on table and try to do something with it with my hands. I do wish they would have implemented some sort of way we could have stuck a boss fs-1 in and used it to start / stop the record function like cba blooper has and then it would be easier to manipulate having it on table for hands, but we'll see how it goes on floor with tweaking with my toes and see if it'll be a stay or not.

admin

What's the attraction of Loupe' by Glou Glou vs other loopers?

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: admin on February 27, 2022, 02:57:18 PM

it has quite more stuff in it then many other loopers... The only thing that compares to loupe is probably chase bliss audio blooper... both are very experimental.

thebrushwithin

Also based off the EDP.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: thebrushwithin on March 01, 2022, 06:12:03 AM
Also based off the EDM.

Yeah I had digit / beebo twice, but in order to use all those features you need a good midi controller like mc8 to take advantage of it better... but on glou glou everything is there on the unit that you need and the problem i have with digit / beebo is and don't get me wrong as I love updates and loved digit / beebo (may get another some day lol), but this thing gets 20 updates a month and seems to break things while waiting for new things etc.. Bit tiring to have to keep updating so much. Really should try to do one a month or a big one every few months.

thebrushwithin

Yes, but having a lot of updates is preferable, to me, as opposed to (ex.) the Boss model of rare updates.
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these, as the flexibility it has for sounds, efx, etc. is quite a bang for the buck, as opposed to "one trick pony" designs, in my opinion. Also, just received a Hologram Microcosm, which, so far, seems to be a useful addition to my studio, as it does many tricks, though not nearly as many as the Poly, and has limited midi. Midi should never be left out of these amazing devices, which is my complaint about Loupe. These are designed for experimentation, and deserve the ability to restore settings that give amazing results.

Tonemasterus

Have you guys seen the looperlative looper LP2?  Has all midi control you would ever need based off the EDP also.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: Tonemasterus on March 01, 2022, 06:47:28 AM
Have you guys seen the looperlative looper LP2?  Has all midi control you would ever need based off the EDP also.

Looks a little too limited to me but then again I haven't checked it out fully, but from the hardware view, it looks limited.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: admin on February 27, 2022, 02:57:18 PM

It also provides features that the old Oberheim (later Gibson) Echoplex Digital Pro had in a portable form factor.

BROCKSTAR

I'm in love with my Loupe! Been having fun with it for a few days and just scratching the surface of understanding it but it does so much!

BROCKSTAR

Some stuff I've been writing with loupe / boss sy-1000 / helix / zoia etc..

I wrote this on guitar using some slight stutter and pitch stuff from loupe, line 6 helix for reverb and little delay and some synthesizer strings / pads from my boss sy-1000.

https://voca.ro/12HqvyTD4mwK

ZOIA is doing the droning thing in the background that I accidently did and just had to record.

Loupe is doing some light guitar notes and a string thump / rake here and there and did a bit of overdubbing and inserting aka mangling with some redux and modulation and pitch readfx going on for some deep background noise / static that I faded in and out with the dry / loop knob when recording it in the DAW.

Some very low strings / pads from boss sy-1000 in the background as well and helix for reverb and clean guitar.

Been inspired by brian eno, harold budd, robin guthrie, william basinski and stuff lately, but not sure if that's coming across any of this but I'm having fun lol.

https://voca.ro/1l5wYmwiue5e

Another one. More redux / modulation and readfx looping from Loupe to give me some noise / static and stuttering again for some background. I kept punching the instut in and out when engaging readfx stuff and it slowed the stuff down a lot and I loved what it was doing. Clean guitar and delay and reverb from boss sy-1000 and line 6 helix.

https://voca.ro/11mb74gZfDU2

BROCKSTAR

Quote from:  Bluesbird on March 15, 2022, 06:50:08 PM
That last one sounds incredible.  Could be the soundtrack for a sci-fi movie.  Great job!

Thank you! :)