Parts for my Roland G-808 guitar

Started by David-fr, March 24, 2021, 04:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-fr

I have some issue with my G-808 Roland guitar. When the Potentiometer balance Guitar/Synthetiser is 100% on guitar, there is sometimes no sound.
If I touch it the sound comes back. There is probably a bad contact inside. This is going like this from times to times.

If someone has some vintage parts : The potentiometer or the mother board from G-202, G-303, G-808, I would be very interested in.

Or if someone knows how to build a new one.

Thanks.

David (France)

philjynx

Sounds like the wiper or track of the pot are worn or maybe some dust near the end of the track. If it's not a sealed pot a squirt of contact cleaner may breath some new life into it.

You may need a new pot, doesn't have to be the same one but it's specification both electrical and physical must match.

Phil.

chrish

You may I know this already but for those that don't.

The G202 board won't just fit right into the G808 because the pots are fixed to the board. It also has a different hex fuzz circuit and most of the components like caps are mounted on the side facing the top.

Whereas  the 808 and 303 pots have wire leads and components face the back of the guitar. This is done because of the arch top. The 202 and 505 tops are flat.

It would require desoldering the pots on the 202 and adding wire leads.

Like Phil states, cleaning the pots with deoxit makes a big difference.After cleaning, they also make a lube to spray in there.

but perhaps you're just trying to strip parts off the other boards. Sure seems like you could find a potentiometer that blends.

glasswing

Replacing pots on these is not for the feint of heart. I read somewhere that some peeps have had success squirting Deoxit in from the top of the pot - the exterior top side of the guitar!!!
I need toggle post caps for both my 303 and 808 Rolands.
Does anyone know what kind of threads or toggle switch is used for the pickup selector on these guitars?
Thanks
Pro Tools Ultimate HD
Mac Studio Ultra
Lots of things that blink and sometimes burp
RELEVANT TO THIS FORUM:
Roland GR300/303/808 w DB25 mod (Joness)
BX13VX Joness
Axon AX100 mk 1 (never used)
Roland F2 Volume pedal
AxFXII+
Pedals etc

admin

Full G808 service manuals and tear down pics here

PU selector switch is same as many other 1980s Asian guitars (Ibanez, Greco)
https://www.joness.com/gr300/G-808.html