Upgrade to my 8" FRFR PA speaker

Started by carlb, December 07, 2020, 04:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlb

Thinking of upgrading my present Gemini GX-150 powered PA speaker that I use for home and live performance with the SY-1000.

I hear better fidelity from the SY-1000 direct into my recording board, then into small studio monitors. The Gemini isn't bad, but I think it's lacking fidelity. Which is subjective as I'm sure it goes to 20kHz. But not all 20kHz responses sound or feel the same.

I'd like to keep weight minimal, preferably under 20 lbs. That's negotiable, depending on just how good/rich the sound is.

Can't be larger than an 8" woofer-horn type solution: that size works for my heavy-duty airport dolly type of roll-about, with the SY-1000 on top of the speaker.

Pretty much non-negotiable: Two separate input channels. Sometimes a vocalist needs an input for a minimalist duo-gig.

There's Bose, JBL, QSC, Alto, Behringer, Harbinger, Headrush, Yamaha, Electro Voice ... Has anyone done any sort of try-out comparison and come to conclusions?

ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

admin

For Small gigs add TC Helicon Voice Solo FX150 and SingThing. ( the  Cadillac version )

One of each works well (Stereo)

And Singthing includes a Vocal harmonizer and looper

A step up would be a pair of QSC CP8

carlb

Notice that QSC has a CP8 and a K8 and a K8.2. Guessing the CP8 would be closest to my application of those three. The back is asymmetric, the inputs might be blocked in the configuration I mount it. Usually where there's a will, there's a way though. 25 lbs, but solid as all heck, I'm sure.

Correction: From QSC, the CP8 is 21 lbs. 11 X 10 X 16 inch. Hmmm...
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Smash

I had a pair of DXR10s - excellent speakers. Huge headroom and SPL plus super flat response. Seen some kemper users talking of DXR8s

carlb

Notice they have a DBR10, little less weight and power. Wish they had a DBR8, that probably would have been about perfect.
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

carlb

Ended up going for the QSC CP8. More power, extended low-end, more (and better sounding) high-end than my long-serving Gemini 8" PA speakers.

Worked into my gigging rig, now retweaking the electric guitar tone patches.

Thanks for making the recommendation, Steve. Definite improvement in sound, what it's all about. (Or mostly all about, anyway.)
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

myksara

Coincidentally,  I recently sold my Behringer Eurolove B210D active speaker and purchased a QSC CP8.
Blown away completely..a perfect companion for the GT1K and SY1K!!
This beats the behringer and my roland cubestreet ex completely!
Smaller than the other 2 but heavier.
Quite expensive but money well spent!
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

gumtown

"You get what you pay for" is a generally good measuring stick (up to a point) for quality results.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

fokof

RCF is also a good choice for good quality Pro level active speakers.
The new series 7 line are killer ,  better than QSC IMHO.
One the very few companies on the planet that does everything in house.

I used 310A as my bass monitor for a very long time.
Was playing in a "soft / corporate" gig , portability and fidelity were important criterium.

carlb

Was really interested in the RCF ART 708-A MK4. I believe you for killer sound.

I had to think hard, but I finally had to take it out of the running as it has a single audio input. I'll do duos with vocalists for small settings where guitar and vocals come from my rig, would need a small mixer for the 708. Really want to keep the rig as simple and small as possible while still getting pro sounds.
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

admin

Quote from: carlb on January 05, 2021, 10:23:49 AM
Was really interested in the RCF ART 708-A MK4. I believe you for killer sound.

I had to think hard, but I finally had to take it out of the running as it has a single audio input. I'll do duos with vocalists for small settings where guitar and vocals come from my rig, would need a small mixer for the 708. Really want to keep the rig as simple and small as possible while still getting pro sounds.

K10.2

K8.2

Here's why