Just got an 1st gen Blue Chip Axon AX100 from a pawn shop...

Started by thejoce78, November 23, 2020, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejoce78

Everything seems to be functioning properly.  It is the model with a Sound Board in it, which I guess 'kinda' works, but the level is super low?

To give you an idea, with string sensitivity at 64 and volume at max I can start hearing some discernible sound when plugged into a HeadRush FR108 monitor at full volume!! (which I've never had the courage to do with ANYTHING to date!! - these things are LOUD!!).

So...  figured I'd post here to see if any of you would have any ideas/suggestions as to what might be wrong with it?

Mind you it is not a super big deal since those sounds don't seem to be extraordinary anyways... but you know... the tracking is so nice and fast that I wouldn't mind using a few basic internal sounds if I could...

Many Thx in advance for any insights!

Cheers,
Joce

admin

Quote from: thejoce78 on November 23, 2020, 08:33:39 PM
Everything seems to be functioning properly.  It is the model with a Sound Board in it, which I guess 'kinda' works, but the level is super low?

To give you an idea, with string sensitivity at 64 and volume at max I can start hearing some discernible sound when plugged into a HeadRush FR108 monitor at full volume!! (which I've never had the courage to do with ANYTHING to date!! - these things are LOUD!!).

So...  figured I'd post here to see if any of you would have any ideas/suggestions as to what might be wrong with it?

Mind you it is not a super big deal since those sounds don't seem to be extraordinary anyways... but you know... the tracking is so nice and fast that I wouldn't mind using a few basic internal sounds if I could...

Many Thx in advance for any insights!

Cheers,
Joce

The Internal Wave Blaster is not the cleanest Synth re its audio specs

But the nature of MIDI guitar often means you are always battling AC Ground Loops - which on modern gear with "Green energy" Switching power supplies, any ground loop introduces more white noise vs the typical old school "Hum" 

For lowest noise , I advise get a Stereo PASSIVE D.I, Direct Box between Axon Audio output and the Amplification System 

philjynx

Quote from: admin on November 24, 2020, 03:50:14 AM

..."Green energy" Switching power supplies...
Glad you put that in quotes. The rate they're ending up in landfill (recycling laws or not) is frightening. I'm fairly certain I read that they also put a lot of noise into the grid.

thejoce78

Thank you for the replies.  I will definitely try a DI box as suggested, but I'm not sure noise level is actually an issue for me (unless you're saying that it quenches the signal internally?).

My issue is that I don't get enough actual audio out signal from the Sound Board - it seems clean enough in fact..
  But simply super low level...

Cheers,
Joce

admin

The Wave Blaster Audio Output is fixed at -10dB  - it was originally designed for Computer gaming

Most use a small Yamaha Mix Board and compensate the Axon WaveBlaster weak output  to accommodate a mix with their other DSP Guitar modeling gear

or
Insert this on Axon Audio Output

https://www.zzounds.com/item--RLLMB15B
The Rolls MB15b - Stereo Signal Converter - is essential for connecting the XLR balanced inputs of powered speakers to the -10 dB unbalanced RCA outputs found on most DJ mixers and controllers. The Rolls MB15b converts the stereo signal to balanced XLR at hot +4dB professional levels so you can run long lines to the powered speakers, with no line loss, interference or noise, and you get a gain boost as well. Stereo volume controls for fine tuning and matching levels. Two-way operation also converts stereo XLR balanced to stereo RCA unbalanced output. Active circuit for signal boost, ships with power supply.

Features
- Stereo Direct Box
- Stereo RCA to stereo XLR
- Stereo Level control for each channel
- Works as stereo balanced line level control
- 1/8 in. Headphone level to line level adaptor

thejoce78

Oh, I understand, thx for your explanation.

I will see when I have around that could do the job!

Appreciate your help!

Cheers,
Joce

Shingles

I had a first gen AX100 and gigged with it around 2001.
The output from internal sound board, a Yamaha DB51XG (not the more common DB50XG), domestic level -10dBv rather than pro +4dBu but that's not so big a difference to give the problem you describe.

I suggest cleaning not only the output connectors from 5he unit but also the multi-way connector(s) between the sound card and the main circuit board.
Aside from that, try a factory reset. That should clear any stuck controller settings.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

thejoce78

Thx for your reply Shingles.

I did get an signal converter as was suggested and it definitely help - so now it is at least usable at home, but still too low for gigging.

I agree with you that I found that surprising that it outputting at -10db would be the only issue here, as I've had other older gear outputting at consumer -10 db level and they were certainly loud enough to gig with!

I will open it up and give a try to your suggested clean-ups - considering the age of this unit, maybe I'll find a few 'critters' living in there for all I know!!!  ;-)

Cheers,
Joce

Shingles

Talking about 'opening it up' does remind me of one problem with these aged first gen Axons.
The user memory was served by an internal battery. This battery, after some years, has a tendency to leak. What leaks out is acid that attacks the copper traces on the circuit board underneath.
This can cause various problems and although the battery can be replaced with a more modern type, the damage can be quite difficult to repair.
Nik

thejoce78

Thx again for your sugestions.  I opened up the unit this AM and it actually looks very clean and in mint condition from what I could gather... but I'm not electronics expert - so I thought I would post a picture in case one of you notices something I haven't...  and also thought it might be of interest for some of you!  ;-)

Can also post other pictures (zoomed in on some areas) if there is interest.

Cheers,
Joce

Shingles

Well, someone has already replaced the battery!
Nik