Fretless Bass with the SY-1000

Started by stub, October 17, 2020, 11:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

I'm still a noob with the SY-1000, and mostly use it for a GK equipped guitar.

As a bass player, I have always just used minimal EQ and rarely use effects. I recently started playing fretless and am really enjoying it. Next on my gear wish list is a GK-3B, but I'm a little torn between whether to install it on my fretted bass or my new fretless.

I'm curious if some fretless bass players have some tips/tricks for getting the most out of the SY-1000. Also, I'd imagine the bass models will translate  to the fretless version of each model (fretless jazz, fretless Ricky, etc.) The tone/envelope of the fretless is so different and lovely, and I imagine it will just be a different animal all-around with the SY-1000. Any thoughts? Recommendation?

Brak(E)man

I use fretless guitar with SY-1000 , SY-300, VG series , GP-10 , GR-20, 30, 33 etc
And yes you get a fretless sounding version of most sounds.
Some of the more synthy sounds are not that different but most sounds are.
OSC synth and GTM are a bit more work to get right but with Bass I'm guessing the latency might be the biggest issue with those two anyway.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

Quote from: stub on October 17, 2020, 11:05:15 AM
I'm still a noob with the SY-1000, and mostly use it for a GK equipped guitar.

As a bass player, I have always just used minimal EQ and rarely use effects. I recently started playing fretless and am really enjoying it. Next on my gear wish list is a GK-3B, but I'm a little torn between whether to install it on my fretted bass or my new fretless.

I'm curious if some fretless bass players have some tips/tricks for getting the most out of the SY-1000. Also, I'd imagine the bass models will translate  to the fretless version of each model (fretless jazz, fretless Ricky, etc.) The tone/envelope of the fretless is so different and lovely, and I imagine it will just be a different animal all-around with the SY-1000. Any thoughts? Recommendation?

If you are a Bass player- the VB-99 remains Supreme, lowest latency ( just no PCM orchestral sounds as found in GR-20, GR-55

gumtown

Rather than deciding which bass to install your GK-3B, get two GK-3B and install one on both.
The SY-1000 is really good with bass, except for the OSC synth which is a bit buggy, but I hope that gets fixed soon with a firmware update.
The SY-1000 bass preamps are far superior to any previous Roland/Boss product
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stub

Quote from: gumtown on October 17, 2020, 04:54:32 PM
Rather than deciding which bass to install your GK-3B, get two GK-3B and install one on both.
The SY-1000 is really good with bass, except for the OSC synth which is a bit buggy, but I hope that gets fixed soon with a firmware update.
The SY-1000 bass preamps are far superior to any previous Roland/Boss product

Yea, I was kind of leaning that way. I'm mostly interested in using the modeled bass sounds, and less interested in the synth stuff, specifically.

Thanks for all the responses.